Atlantis?

Gelion

Retired Captain
I'm very curious about it currently :). I want to hear your views on what you think it was and after I will post a very interesting story I read recently. :crazyeye:
In your view - what was Atlantis?

Probably a Hellenized kingdom on the Atlantic coast that was (almost disgustingly so) very prosperous. That makes it (most likely) Tartessos, but who knows what new findings shall uncover?

Tartessos- no doubt abou tit, matches everythign that plato described, and more, matching the descriptions of the egyptians about the sea people invaders as well.

Plato described a city with manmade (or divinely made:hmm: ) sea channels (trenches) and a temple of Poseidon. Tertessos had all of this?

yep- its citadel was on island in a river delta after all.

(that said, its so early, that it couldnt have been hellenized as hellenic civlization did not yet exist)

So then Tartessos couldn't be exactly what Plato described. (No Poseidon.) Or could Peseidon refer to the Tartessian water god?

But Tartessos was not 10000 years old. In any case Tartessos would be a remanent of the Atlantis.

However, If I would be looking for Atlantis and if i think it was related to Tartessos, I would look under the sand on the bottom at the Gulf of Cádiz . There the continental shelf is very vast, shallow (an average depth of only 30-40 meters) and very dynamic due to strong undercurrents. It is full of unstable sand banks that almost touch the surface and that change its position every year. There are countless sunken galleons buried there.

Have in mind that 10000 years ago ocean level was much lower.

@Thorgalaeg

Or Plato could have screwed up the dates...

Thorgalaeg said:
But Tartessos was not 10000 years old. In any case Tartessos would be a remanent of the Atlantis.

However, If I would be looking for Atlantis and if i think it was related to Tartessos, I would look under the sand on the bottom at the Gulf of Cádiz . There the continental shelf is very vast, shallow (an average depth of only 30-40 meters) and very dynamic due to strong undercurrents. It is full of unstable sand banks that almost touch the surface and that change its position every year. There are countless sunken galleons buried there.

Have in mind that 10000 years ago ocean level was much lower.

dosent need to be; the egyptians dont actually have a heiroglyphic for any number over 1000- which is why it is imposisble that anyone other then a mis-inteprreted solon of plato woudl have said it was 10,000 years old- that entuire fact is, literally, made up- part of the atlantian ledgend becaus eplato didnt know better, and niether do most people whom are educated in ancient history.

Amenhotep7 said:
So then Tartessos couldn't be exactly what Plato described. (No Poseidon.) Or could Peseidon refer to the Tartessian water god?

at the very beginijgn plato explains that the names of things are translated into greek, and are not what they were in thier origional language- so yes, poseidon refers not to greek poseidon, but to what the closest diety that matched it (well really, it woudl have been greek poseidon, but in native termonolgy- thats how ancient polythiesm in the wes towrked- one universal set of gods, nbu tlocal interpreitatiosn of those gods)

Well, here's the obligatory monthly Atlantis thread... and it's only the first of December. :rolleyes: I'd post my opinion, but I did that on the last 10 or so monthly Atlantis threads and I don't like repeating.

Mongoloid Cow said:
Well, here's the obligatory monthly Atlantis thread... and it's only the first of December. :rolleyes: I'd post my opinion, but I did that on the last 10 or so monthly Atlantis threads and I don't like repeating.
Uh :blush: can you post links to the old ones plz?

Cow I did not mean that particular case. I wanted to know your opinions :).
Thanks ofr hte link anyway I now remember it...

rbis4rbb said:
Where is a map of this "Tertarros"

your not goign to find anything lookign for "tertarros"

its Tartessos your looking for- essentially, it was right here, at the mouth fo the Guadalquivir river, which in even imperial Roman times was known as the river tartessos, and the gul of Cadiz was the the Sea of Tartessos

Only clarifying than that river in the map is the Tajo. The Guadalquivir is 500 km to the south.

I don't know really what it was. Many interesting theories have been posited everywhere... People have claimed that it was on the shores of a much smaller Black Sea, in the basin of the dried up Red Sea (read Pastwatch for a fascinating theory in an entertaining story), the ruins of Tiahuanuco, the ruins of the marble Bahama based citadel, the pyramids on the Canaries, Tartessos, Cyprus, Thira, on the coast of Ionia, Crete, Malta, and enough other places to make one's head spin. All have their own merits. I'm undecided as of yet. Note also that when Plato wrote of Atlantis he said it was the most prosperous of TEN cities. It could be a combination of all of them.

@NK- half those theories cant exist- tihuanaco wasnt even a dream in a meso americans eye during the med sea bronze age,and the red sea was never dry.

regardless, The tartessos-Atlantis connection still holds- tartessos is recorded as being effectivlyl destroyed by natural disasters by boththe egyptians, and in the old testiment, and from the egyptians, it is also the capital fo the sea peoples- of which thier were twelve kingdoms of; if we take out the Minoans and Mycenaens as people who took advatage of the chaos inspired byt he sea peoples to start thier own raids, then we have 1 kingdom empire, as reocrded by plato, led bya rich an dmighty citadel on an aislands, surrounded by circles of land and water (a river delta), that was ina geograpgich region that matched plato description, as iberia was though to be an island at one time, and tartessos was still outside the pillars of hercules ;)

Top Bottom