Sid Meier's Civilization IV Prerelease Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civrules

We the People
EDIT:
I’ve clearly overestimated the amount of information I could fit. I did a test to see how much information bits I can fit in the threads I’ve got, and it shows that it is not nearly enough (only about 78 bullet points on both posts, when in the coming months it could be much longer). Currently on the first post, I've got close to 13k characters already.
Sure, it will take time to fill up what I’ve got now, but when I hit the limit of 30k (for the two posts), I’m going to be in trouble.
So better fix the problem earlier than later. I’ll put up a new thread, but this time the only difference will be that you would not post in it (because I'm not sure how many posts I'll need in the coming months). Either way, blame goes on me, not the people who posted here. ;)
So, click here for the new thread, just make sure you don't post. Other than that, everything else is perfectly normal, and no other changes will be made.

Needless to say, you will not see any phenomenal combat results such as the infamous “Spearman defeats Tank.” This has caused a lot of headaches for Civ fans in the past
:cry:

Rest of it sounds good. Thanks for putting this together! :goodjob:

EDIT: Sorry if this post intrudes.

Thanks for putting this all together, I greatly am looking forward to all of these new features, especially the built in multiplayer, hopefully it wont be as laggy as it is now.

Tomoyo said:
EDIT: Sorry if this post intrudes.

Nope. :)
I only needed one extra post (the reserved one).

Thanks for the info, Civrules. If the "river trade" connection is correct, it not only makes sense, but sounds like it should work well.

@ Tomoyo - so we lose "spearman defeats tank"? I'm sure there will be something equally annoying for folks to whine about. Dare we hope for "religious flips" to replace culture flips?

awesome. love all the features in Civilization IV. i like the idea about contamination, rebellion, and corruption

The units will gather experience from specific enemy units. One advantage also allows your units to use the enemy’s roads inside their territory, something that was not a available in the Civilization III series

This sounds a bit like the Shogun unit. Able to grow and become more powerful as new techniques and abilities are discovered/earned.

I'd be a little disappointed, if you could use an opponents roads/railroads to capture a city deep in an enemies core without having to deal with the border defenses.

I hope they don't make impossible for a group of cavalry units to defeat an infantry unit simply because they are from different eras.

I'm also wondering how a communist government with a buddhist city would relate.

:hatsoff: to the each nation having a unique military

denyd said:
:hatsoff: to the each nation having a unique military

Basically this means that the military plan for CivIV seems to be more flexible with much more options. :)

you said that Atari will publish Civilization IV. but Atari/Infogrames sold the license for Civilization IV. or do you mean they will publish this last game but will be paying a royaltee to the other company?

AA-battery said:
I still wonder if I should get conquests or Civ4? :undecide:

get Conquest. You will have at least a year to play that and all the wonderful mods. stop missing out. Civ4 will come at Christmas time probably (*bets a waiter ten dollar*). stop missing out and get Conquest.

I don't like using enemies roads, at least just "You can use enemies roads"

I think with that feature, we can't just road and rail every tile in sight. ;)

Blackbird_SR-71 said:
you said that Atari will publish Civilization IV. but Atari/Infogrames sold the license for Civilization IV. or do you mean they will publish this last game but will be paying a royaltee to the other company?

Well, here it says that Atari will be publishing it in 2005. Remember that Atari still has the right to publish Civ games until sometime late in 2005 (even though it sold the franchise).

According to the latest issue of the Computer Gaming World magazine, Civilization IV is expected to be released in 2005 by Atari. This info is listed in the Pipeline section on pg 48, which has release dates of upcoming games.

Atari and Firaxis have yet to officially announced Civilization 4. Firaxis's president and CEO Jeff Briggs first revealed Civ4's development last December in an interview on Game Daily, and Firaxis also confirmed the news to GameSpot a few days later. No further info about the game is available at this time.

Thanks to forum member dshamand for posting about it.

Civrules said:
Well, here it says that Atari will be publishing it in 2005. Remember that Atari still has the right to publish Civ games until sometime late in 2005 (even though it sold the franchise).
Actually, Atari won't be publishing Civ4. See the Homeland Fed quote from the sale of Civ franchise news:

http://www.civfanatics.com/news2/comments.php?id=196

HomeLAN contacted Atari corporate PR represenative Nancy Bushkin over the phone this morning who confirmed that the Atari will no longer be publishing any more Civilization games, although it still retains the rights to sell its previous Civ games through October 2005.

Civrules said:
  • Civilization III was extremely moldable, so, why shouldn’t Civilization IV be just as modable or even more so? It will be. Our moders will be able to do anything from create new worlds, units, technologies, and historical events (something they have been able to do in the past), to controlling the AI, something that they could not be able to do in previous Civ games. All this brought to you by XML data files as well as the Python scripting language (for those who are familiar with them)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...12/sr=2-3/ref=pd_ka_b_2_3/002-2637115-1322441

Civrules said:
  • One advantage also allows your units to use the enemy’s roads inside their territory, something that was not a available in the Civilization III series
I rather liked that feature. :(

Civrules said:
  • Another thing I should mention about units and new aspects is that, training, employment and other improvements will allow every civilization to have its own unique military

I shall be intrested to hear more detailed information on this as it sounds good.

Civrules said:
  • Needless to say, you will not see any phenomenal combat results such as the infamous “Spearman defeats Tank.” This has caused a lot of headaches for Civ fans in the past

Very good news. :goodjob:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom