MOD: The Turks 1.0

The Splang

BOB...
I recently got bored so I decided to create a Turkish civ. This mod changes the following

Persians to Turks, Janesairy replaces Imortal (uses same graphic though) and now replaces knights instead of Swordsmen. its stats are:
Resources-Iron
ADM 5/2/2

The Turks are Militeristic, Comercial. (start with Warior code and alphabet)
Rome becomes Militaristic, Industrius
China becomes Scientific, Industrius'

Now heres where I need the communities help. I Need to know:

2-4 Great Leaders (got 2, but 1 is ify, the other isn't really all that famous)
Any obscure but Turkish sounding cities (I have enough, but it always helps to have more)
A site with a brief Turkish history.

and most of all, I need to know how to
A: Upload it to this site (preferably as Zip)
or B: I need to know someone (preferably a webmaster or admin) that I can send it to so THEY can upload it in Zip format (you see, I dont know HOW to upload any files, ive never done it before but I do know that Zip is a easier/smaller way to D/L it)

Basically, any help on how to convert something to Zip and upload it to this site would be apreciated.

Thanks! :D

Dont know any Turkish leaders

Cities
Constantinople, Izmit, Izmir, Ankara, Kars, Istanbul, there are more,

I think you should have left Rome and China's Unique abilities alone, they were fine.

To zip: Put the file in a compress folder(Right Click, and got to "send to".

To upload, when posting, go to the Attach file icon, press browse, and look for the file. press ok, and when you post, it will be there if in a zip file:)

Sorry to be so picky, but Istanbul is Constantinople...:) . Which one did you use, Splang?

I know next to nothing about the Turks, but for obscure cities and stuff, maybe look up old maps of Turkey (maybe Ottoman Empire) on your next web search.

Well, let the Turk speak for it :) First of all I don't think "commercial" fits Turkish Civilization. Chose two from expansionist, militaristic and religious. Special unit is ok. But I think replacing the Japanese will fit better. Here is a site in which you can make a brief summary:

http://www.turkishodyssey.com/turkey/history/history3.htm#SELJUK

Don't forget to remove Seldjuks from the barbarian list ;)

Turkey
Turks
Turkish

Title: Sultan
name: Osman (founder of the Ottoman Empire) or Mustafa Kemal (Founder of Turkey) or Fatih Mehmet (Conquered Istanbul - Empire at its peak)

Great Leaders: (Assuming Fatih Mehmet is the Sultan)

Yildirim Bayezid
Yavuz Selim
Kanuni Suleyman
Mustafa Kemal
Ismet Inonu
Kazim Karabekir

Cities:

Istanbul
Bursa
Edirne
Ankara
Konya
Karaman
Izmir
Aydin
Adana
Antalya
Sivas
Samsun
Erzurum
Antep
Urfa
Mersin
Yozgat
Kayseri
Kars
Van
Denizli
Malatya
Erzincan
Afyon
Kastamonu
Ordu
Rize
Diyarbakir
Maras
Aksaray
Ardahan
Batman
Giresun
Sinop
Tekirdag
Elazig
Amasya
Nigde
Mugla
Burdur
Manisa
Zonguldak
Bolu
Tokat
Bitlis
Mardin
Hakkari
Bingol
Adapazari
Kutahya
Canakkale

51 city names is enough I guess :)

Originally posted by Qelebex
Well, let the Turk speak for it :) First of all I don't think "commercial" fits Turkish Civilization. Chose two from expansionist, militaristic and religious. Special unit is ok. But I think replacing the Japanese will fit better. Here is a site in which you can make a brief summary:

http://www.turkishodyssey.com/turkey/history/history3.htm#SELJUK

Don't forget to remove Seldjuks from the barbarian list ;)

Turkey
Turks
Turkish

Title: Sultan
name: Osman (founder of the Ottoman Empire) or Mustafa Kemal (Founder of Turkey) or Fatih Mehmet (Conquered Istanbul - Empire at its peak)

Great Leaders: (Assuming Fatih Mehmet is the Sultan)

Yildirim Bayezid
Yavuz Selim
Kanuni Suleyman
Mustafa Kemal
Ismet Inonu
Kazim Karabekir

51 city names is enough I guess :)

Thank You!!!!! That was just what I needed!

dannyevilcat-I used Istanbul (they never contolled Constantinople, it was switched to Istanbul the second the Turks controlled it)

Ohwell- I changed China and Rome because I didn't want 2 Millitaristic Commercial civs. Ill upload 2 versions if you want...
And ill see if I can upload it the way you said in my next post.

Qelebex-Turky, from what I understand, was Comercial more than expansionist (all there Expansion (once they became the Ottomans) was Militaristic). And they were an important trading center, being the crossroads between Asia and Europe. But if you can prove me wrong, I have no problem with changing it...

OK here it is (I hope...)

The civlopedia is still the Persian history :(

But I now have 51 cities, 5-6 leaders, and a bunch of other things. :)

well, I guess all I can say is...Enjoy!

Note:If anything wierd happens, tell me. I doubt anythings wrong but if somthing is, I wanna fix it.:egypt:

Attachments

• turkish mod.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 840
OK, I just D/l'ed it and everything works OK!

If any Moderaters wanna put this somwhere on the site so it can be D/L'ed by anyone, feel free!

u have done a great work i was bored playing with Rome
it will be prefect if u go on working on it
if you need help i m here

are you putting the Turks in Anotolia or in their ancestrol homeland Central Asia? I recommend Central Asia, otherwise you will incorporate cities that are often identified with other civilizations.

Cities:

Samarkhand
Tashkent
Bishek
Alma Ata
Ulan Ude
Baku
Dushanbe
Astrakhan
Isfahan
Tabriz
Konya

thats all that comes to mind off the top of my head

Leaders:

Timur-Lenk (Tamerlane)
Bayezid
Mehmed II
Selim the Grim
Sulieman the Magnificent
Some Moghul Leaders:
Akbar
Babur

Keep in mind putting the Turks can be tricky, in that Turkic people have created empires from China to Europe and also in Africa.
If you want to just creat the Ottomans, then the list of cities listed above (Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir etc) will do fine.

There are so many incidents where Mongols are called Turks, or Turks are called Mongols, or even Tartars (suppose to be a mix of Mongols and Turks). Some say Genghis Khan's mother was a Turk, some say Timur-Lenk (Tamerlane) was a Mongol, other say he was a Tartar and some that he was a Turk. Point is that it seems to be different every book I read.

What I do know for sure is this, when Genghis Khan united the tirbes of Mongolia they were Mongolian and Turkic. Furthermore Turkish was the language of the Mongolian Empire. The Mongols themselves spoke MOngolian but for some reason Turkic seem to dominate as the primary language of their empire. I think that the difficulty in determining who was Turkish and who was MOngolian made people come up with the term Tartar (I am guessing here).

Anyhow, as far as Civ is concerned I think they should throw the Turks in Central Asia, but them right besides the Mongols. Let them war until one comes to dominance. If either civilization takes over the other they will assimulate the others people etc. Thats what happened in history (kind of, the Mongols took over the Turks, but somehow the Turks assimulated many of the Mongols - I believe it was due to the cultural depth of the Turks over the Mongols - great you can adjust the Turkish Civilization to emphasize more cultural).

I was basically going for a transitional turkish empire. Like:

first they represent a band of random nomads
then Seljuks
then that short period were they weren't really mongels anymore but were still Seljuks
then the Ottomans
then modern day turks

Thats the reason there Comercial instead of expansionist/religius.

Ill probably create many more civs because this is extreemly cool. But im not sure about the next one. Any Ideas? Both my home countries are already in (Im an American with German blood). Maybe spain or the vikings...But my #1 problem is, what will be there UU's?Hmmmm...

The "only" two nations calling themselves as Turk today are Turkey turks and Northern Cypriots. Uzbeks call themselves Uzbek, Azeris call themselves as Azeri, etc.

Turkish civilization should be referred to Anatolian Turks, beginning with Seldjuks then Anatolian Seldjuk State.

1.1 is up!

This only does 2 things

1: Turkey isn't spelled Turky (come on, didn't ANYONE see that!)
2: They build more artillery and focus more on production if AI controled.

1 is good for the WHOLE game. 2 helps the AI fight better and more historicaly (they were the FIRST nation in Europe to use artillery against enemy troops and they built severel MASSIVE guns that they used against Constantinople)

Attachments

• turkish mod 1.1.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 401
Arabs? Who are they, are they Jordanian? Saudi? Egyptian? Algerian? Point is they are all Arabs, sure with some differences but generally they are accepted as Arabs. My point earlier was that Turks do not only pertain to Turkey, all you need do is go to any websites, history books, whatever and you will find material to back up this fact. The various Arab countries lets say we could call them clans, different houses whatever, the same goes with the Turks. I have an Uygur friend, guess what he accepts himself as Turkish but as an Uygur Turk. IF you are going to use the term Turk it would be incorrect to apply it only to the Anatolian Turks.

Osmanli Turks
Seljuk Turks
Uygur Turks
Kirgiz Turks
Azeri Turks and so on are all part of the "TURKIC" family.

that being put aside :)

I am working ona very huge map/scenario. There will be some changes, I plan on having the following civilizations in it:

Turks
Arabs
Mongols
Spainish
Germans
English
Greeks
Egyptians
Chinese
East Indians
Japanese
Russians
Romans
Franks
Abysinians (Ethiopian-they have a very ancient civilization since the time of Egypt, though they hardly expanded they did deal the Italians in World War I a nasty blow)
and this last one I am not sure on....

For now though, I do need help with one thing, if anyone likes, I am working on a map which would be accurate in size, shape, resources etc. Already for hours I looked through maps etc for information on world resource distribution, vegetation, Wildlife etc. Its a lot of work and a lot of time, but in the end it would perhaps the most accurate world map out there for Civ 3.

let me know if you can assist

BTW, I am in a rush when I write these replies so excuse my spelling!:crazyeyes

Well Arab case is different. Those borders are drawn by imperial powers. In fact they are the same family, share the same language and culture. But Turkish case is different.

An Azeri and an Anatolian Turk can hardly understand each other and me being an Anatolian, cannot understand even a single word of the Uzbeks. The culture also have very little similarities. The race have even less in common.

Central Asian Turks were nomads and closer to Mongols. Antolian Turks are far different. They mixed with cultures here and build their own culture. Hard to find anything left from the Kokturks of Central Asia, but Middle Asia and Balkans are full of Seldjuk and Ottoman architecture.

So when you don't welldefine the concept "Turk" you face two civilizations completely different. We are as "Central Asian Turk" as the Hungarians ;)

My research of information does not agree with what your are stating. Do you have some references, books etc where you are getting your information from? I can provide you with a multitude of sources showing a strong relationship between the various nations in Central Asia and Turkey. You are right in that the there are some differences from the Turkish spoken in Turkey with that of the Central Asian republics, but no more so than the english spoken in America with that in England. I have heard Turkic from asia and though a little hard to adjust it is most definately understandable. As you probably guessed I am Turkish, and I am by no means trying to thrust my opinions on others, on the contrary I seek only the truth, especially in matters concerning my heritage. Civ 3 format my not be the apropriate place to do so and I apolgize for going into depth about the roots of modern day Turks in Turkey. Furthermore I would like to point out one thing, all these republics in Central Asia (Kazakistan, Uzbekistan etc) were all originally called "TURKISTAN", now why would they do that? - cause they are Turkish. Many people are not aware of the true number of Turkic nations in the world, I suppose the Russians and Chinese were successful in their efforts to create disunity amongst the Turks. Turkistan try to break away from Russian earlier in the century, the Russians crushed the uprising and to ensure they would not pose a threat again they spilt up Turkistan into many nations as you see today.

check out the following places on the web for further details:

www.uygur.org
www.turkiye.net

Just to note, currently there is a Turkic state that is being oppressed by the Chinese government, Uyguristan people are one of the most ancient of the Turkic clans and they face complete cutural annilation. Along with the Tibetans they need outside support, and thus this is the reason I feel compelled let you know that Turks are more than the Anatolians, forgetting that we are Asian is just like denying our history. Dont just look west, times are changing now we must look East.

if you like to discuss this further please direct your email to me directly teturkhan@hotmail.com, that way we dont take up all kinds of space here :)

I am not denying the facts. I know we have roots in Central Asia. I am Turkish too :) and I have read whole of Kamuran Gurun's "Turks and Turkish States' History". I know all you are talking about.

It is my own view that we are too much focusing on our Central Asian roots, even ignoring the cultures we are mixed here in Anatolia. Again my own view here is, other Turkic states should be referred as cousins not brothers. Azeris are exceptional may be :)

Anyway, I don't think this discussion is useless. Your posts are very informative for the others. :)

Its going to be my first post to these forums actually, but I'm glad to see that someone is actually working on integrating the Turks into the game.

My friends call me patriotic, which I am at a level which everybody should be, but to be honest, I have to agree that the Turks should not be considered as the Anatolian Turks only.

It is essential to keep in mind that the great wall of China was built to prevent the Turkish (and Mongolian) raids.

However, the power of the Ottoman Turks cannot be underestimated, which became one of the most feared nation in the whole known world for several decades (actually, just one or two).

When leaders where chosen for the civs in the game, they were not necessarily the formers of those civs, but were great leaders.

I assume Mehmed II, the Conquerer (Fatih Sultan Mehmet) would be a VERY good choice as a leader.

Although the greatness of Ataturk cannot be denied by my Turkish friends here, I think it should only be a normal leader name.

Also, why not mix Anatolian names and Central Asian names together?

By the way, I can understand an Azeri, even though I am Anatolian, come on :)

Great Leader names would be (as proposed earlier)

- Mehmed II, the Conquerer
- Suleiman, the Magnificent
- Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (the one who brought democracy to modern Turkey)

One last note:

The Seljuk Turks were not that Anatolian after all, most of their lands did even spread down to India and up to the borders of modern Russia.

If we are speaking about Turks here, the Huns should be considered as well :) See? Everyone just forgot about the Huns...

Top Bottom