SGOTM6 - Team RowAndLive

mad-bax

Deity
GOTM Staff
SGOTM6 - Celts. Team RowAndLive.

Welcome to your team thread for SGOTM06. I hope you enjoy the game.

Map Parameters
Playable Civ - Celts
World size - 100 wide by 130 high.
Difficulty Emperor (approximately)
Landform Contiguous Pangea

Here are a number of links you might find useful.

The Constitution
GOTM Reference Thread.
Upload a Save.
Download a save.
SGOTM06 Maintenance Thread.

This Months' sponsored variant is Cultural Celtic Communists the rules for which are as follows.

1. The only allowed governments are despotism and communism.
2. You must win by 100K victory condition.

Your save has been uploaded to the server and will become available to you on the 7th February.

ok im game

Team R&L
Software: PTW 1.27
Durkz
MOTH
rrau
Elmarae
jb1964
RowAndLive

Checking in. I've got some pre-game analysis I've done that I will upload after the baby takes a nap.

Pre-game analysis.

Fog-gazing: NW of the Game I believe there is something. Spices or Dyes maybe.

Settlement location - not counting the mountains as usefull:
In Place: 1 Cow (with slow improvement possibilities), 4 BG, 3 Forest, 1 Hill, 9 River, 2 Fog (plains and forest?)
2 spots NE: 1 Cow (as above), 1 Wheat, 1 BG, 1 Hill, 6 River, 8 fog (4 plains, 1 coast, 3 ?)
2 spots NW: 1 Wheat, 1 Game, 2 BG, 13 River, 2 Forest, 2 Hills, 8 Fog (1 plains, 1 Lux, 1 hill, 2 Grass, 3 ?)

The best spot IMO is 2 NW. I've done initial planning and we could have a 4-turn settler pump running by turn 38 assuming that we get Masonry by turn 18 and get at least 1 bonusgrass in the fog. Production order through turn 38: 2 warriors, granary, worker, settler, temple, settler.

Checking in. What does everyone think of setting up a 1 turn warrior factory somewhere that's not connected by roads and using them to decrease the time where we can pop rush temples. Also I was thinking of building 2 fairly normal rings for production and then settling every other spot in rings to really pack the cities in. After they pop rush temples, set them to wealth.

MOTH - I haven't had time to analyze your start recommendations yet. I'll do that.

[edit] MOTH - 2 nw is my preference as well. It almost looks like the contours of that water will make it a lake. Also, to the very SE, I think there might be some incense.

here's a litle of fog gazing

yea i agree settle 2 NW. best place
we should go for RCP 3 iner 7 outer ring

Thoughts on strategies:
Rings 3 and 7 are good with me followed by ICS.

Initial Research: Pottery (not Masonry like I said above), BW, IW, Alpha, Writing, Lit.

Builds: As many veteran warriors as we can get as this is a cheap way to get our UU. The only real thing to spend cash on is for unit upgrades.

Wonders: FP as soon as we can in one of the Ring 3 cities.
Pyramids - discussion point - see below.

Pop rushes - after Temple it will depend on how fast we get to Lit. If we can build part of the way there we might not have to pop rush some of the Libraries. We can also pump some workers out of the corrupt cities.

Pyramids - This is a key wonder in a 100K game and more so in this varient. I think we should build it ourselves to guarentee that it is not built some large distance away

War-mongering - We have a great UU for AA conquest. We need to take full advantage and try and get to the domination limit asap. Hopefully before Pikes. Buildin warriors and upgrading to GS is a good method.

Checking in...

Analysis seems sound. Go w/ the start 2NW.

Do we need to have any discussiong regarding the order. I'm not an early round kinda player so spot 5/6 is fine w/ me.

Checking in!

First moves should be Worker to W to reveal the R then Settler to S to reveal the R

The I? isn't Incense. It is a pine tree forest which indicates Tundra as the base land. Incense appears on Hills or Desert.

I agree that settling on the O at this point appears to be the best location.

I've never done a 100k victory before, I'm too much of a warmonger with minor builder tendancies, my normal habit is to not build many improvements until well into the game. So this is will be a good step outside my comfort zone.

In PTW the FP is better to be a second core, rather than close to the palace as in C3C. A loose build around the palace and a tight or ICS build around the FP gives the least corruption.

I'm fine with the 4th position start or so.

im for the FP in the second ring 2
and i vote for the pyramids because we will have a 4 turn settler factory so the pyramids wont slow down our expansion
i agree on warrior to GS upgrade. this will boost us very much so we can go to war with the first and closest civ we ecounter

it's pangea so the tech race will be fast so we have to start wars amongst other civs to slow it down. this will enable our UU to realy shine and will weaken other civs before our attack

If you dont mind i would like to play first so:
Durkz - UP (firs to play :D )
MOTH -On deck
rrau
Elmarae
jb1964
RowAndLive - not cheked in yet

Checked in.

I don't mind 2NW for the start, and don't care where I am in the order.

I would go for the settler fcty, then perhaps settlers with the second city also. Early expansion is the first piece of the puzzle. Second will be a wonder, although I prefer colossus, I'm sure there's a good analysis out there somewhere. Conquest is next. I also subscribe to not needing temples or libs early, just get the cities built.

Welcome all, and a good sendoff to Durkz!

Provided that there is no resistance, I'd like to modify the order, switching jb to be between the 2 ladies. I also have no problem re-ordering the roster when we get into wars or build phases to best fit our strengths if need be.
Lastly, I will likely be taking 5-turn sets once we hit the IA, just to keep the game moving. Whatever will keep our momentum up is probably best. If you can't start within 24, or finish within 72, then please cut it short and post, unless you've got a key goal in process.

EDIT: Incedentally, I believe that ICS is forbidden as one of the rules.

for MOTH and Durkz, I'm the other lady *smiles*

rrau said:

And a very regal one at that! Just watch out for the sword in her hand...

ICS is not forbidden. The rules for the game are standard GOTM rules. The GOTM Reference Thread will tell you what they are. It is linked in the first post of this thread.

Without wishing to sound patronising (which immediately sounds patronising - sorry :blush: ) Please don't guess the rules. If you are not sure, just ask in the reference thread, or PM me. It's going to be difficult enough without tying your own hands behind you back. Trust me. ;)

Sorry, M-B. I didn't think that I was guessing. It must have been outlawed in a different SG. My bad!

rrau said:
:wavey: good to know :mischief:

Here is my plan for getting the settler factory up and running. I am doing a couple of things that usually aren't done (such as leaving a tile before roading it).

We are a 4 turn settler pump starting on turn 38 with the production of our 3rd settler. We must have Pottery by the end of turn 18 or start of 19 if using Big Picture to switch production from Temple pre-build to Granary. We end up building a temple before we hit size 5 using output from forest chop.

MOTH, I like your spreadsheet.

After researching pottery, are we going to continue at max research or decrease it to start saving money for warrior upgrades?

If we want the pyramids, we're going to have to trade for or buy Masonry from someone (according to the current proposed tech order) and on a pangea map, we can get behind on trading techs very fast and might need the gold to get the trade. Also, research in despotism is going to be very slow after the AA. That's one reason I was proposing to switch the ICS cities to wealth after pop-rushing their temples. It will get us more money to buy techs or upgrade warriors.

What's everyone's thoughts?

wow GREAT MM spreadsheet m8 :goodjob:

we can do a granary prebuild for Pyramids in some other town and if we dont get masonry by the time we can switch from granary to oracle (or colosus if coastal) and continue prebuild until we can get masonry

mad-bax said:
ICS is not forbidden.
So we are allowed to Investigate Competitors Savegames? sweet! :mischief:
*runs and hides*

Another thing to remember is everyone has to do the variant, which is Depotism and Communism are the only allowed govs. :eek:

So that means we don't have to worry about getting the other govs but we should try and research to communism which is an Industrial age tech :eek:

Top Bottom