Colonialism - The Age of Discovery (1516-1789)

Eivind IV

Emperor
After seven different beta versions and extensive play testing for 5 months, the scenario is ready for release. :)

The Vikings were the first Europeans to reach the Americas, starting but then abandoning the colonisation process.

The first phase of modern European activity in this region began with the oceanic crossings of Christopher Columbus (1492-1500). 1492 marked the discovery of the Americas by modern Europeans and it was not long after this that Castile began the conquest of South America and the Caribbean.

Improvements in technology made the European voyages of exploration possible and made the clash between different cultures inevitable. The riches of gold and land in the New World intensified Old World rivalries and began a commercial revolution. Britain, France, the Netherlands, Portugal and Habsburg Spain, vied for world dominance.

The time: 1516 - 1789
The objective: Build an empire and take over the world, in one way or the other.

Be sure to look to the readme before playing...Now, go enjoy yourself! :)

MAIN FILES

SOUND FILES, part 1
SOUND FILES, part 2

Attachments

• col_Title.GIF
    col_Title.GIF
    200.4 KB · Views: 628
  • Units.GIF
    Units.GIF
    82.5 KB · Views: 908
  • col_screen.gif
    col_screen.gif
    290.4 KB · Views: 1,204
Nice scenario the units were really great and it was set in an unusual time period for a Civ 2 scenario.

Nice of you to say so, Kobe! :) I want you to know that I was greatly inspired by RON when I decided to make this :)

Even Thunderfall seem to have ignored this one. I sent him an E-mail this time, as requested by him, but no response to be found...A humble flash on the main site would be nice whenever a scenario is released.

But the Duke still posts on the main site for all the GOTM games...Why can't he do it? I've even suggested myself to TF to take care of the civ2 stuff to save the little that is left of steam in the civfan civ2 section, but this was also never answered. It needs to be restimulated in some way. The least we can expect when hard work is put into civ2 making, is to be achnoledged.

And who closed the "CivII community at CivFan is going down the drain..." thread? I think this discussion is very relevant and should be continued there.

Are there are civ2 mods reading this?

Eivind IV said:
And who closed the "CivII community at CivFan is going down the drain..." thread? I think this discussion is very relevant and should be continued there.

Im not sure who closed it down but I PMed DoM at the time and he said it probably closed because we were advertising other Civ forums.

Joeb Wan Kenobi said:
Im not sure who closed it down but I PMed DoM at the time and he said it probably closed because we were advertising other Civ forums.
he doesn't want more people leaving, what i don't get is why more people don't do what i do, i post here, at apolyton and at evo-games, most people go somewhere else and don't look back, i try to post at as many forums as i can, that way i can get the most feedback, if people would do what i do then the civfan community would be in such a sad state, what we need are more people posting here, and apolyton and evogames at the same time, not abandoning one and focousing on another, ;) :)

Does Apolyton still update their Civ2 sections? Last time I check their last news item was in September 04.

Anyway, I am willing to create a Civ2 Files sub-forum in here just like in our Civ3 forums. This way you can post any new file there and people will be able to find it easier. We can also move any exisiting Civ2 file threads in there. In the Civ2 Downloads section I will have a prominent link to the file forum here. What do you think about this?

Thunderfall said:
Does Apolyton still update their Civ2 sections? Last time I check their last news item was in September 04.

It is true that Civ2 at Apolyton is more or less stagnent. People use Apolyton and S-League interchangeably but they are really referring to the S-League site/the S-League forum and not the Apolyton Civ2 site itself.

To be fair, S-League does not have a formal collection of scenarios and so the problem does not arise there. They simply attach the scenarios to threads. However, our true advantage is our installed set of scenarios and how they are organized. i.e.

1. there are different sections for various themes
2. older versions are removed when updates are uploaded.

Also the number of scenarios in our repository is larger than anyone else. If we could revive the scenario review page that would be good too.

If there is some volunteer manpower to help the Civ2 section regain some of its former glory, I say why not.

The Spanish section at Apolyton (which is in English btw. Not the Spanish forum but the Spanish site) updates their civ2 section regularly also.

If you do what you suggest, TF, will files submitted still get into the civ2 download section on the main site? Anything is better than the situation here now anyway, so your suggestion sounds fair.

And yes, kobayashi is right, having some more scen reviews would be nice.

I just love it. It's very very realistic in many senses.

Among the few things I would like improved, there are a few city names that I believe that are erroneous (like "Santa Domingo", actually Santo Domingo, Domingo is "he" in Spanish, or Tokyo, that at that time was called Edo - I also could discuss the choice of cities for other Heathen places, specially in America) and maybe accelerating science investigation - it's very difficult to match historical advances in less than 200 turns when you need about 20 for each advance.

But, for most purposes I just love it. A new dimension to Civ2!!! :goodjob:

Top Bottom