Petek
Alpha Centaurian

Glad to have helped.

Petek
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:18 PM   #42
Maximus Thalos
Chieftain

Thumbs up just thought I'd Share this

full* 6408 x 1080 desktop res across 3 24's thanks to AMD's Eyefinity technology
Maximus Thalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:18 AM   #43
Kilkakon
King

I... I think that's a bit... Overkill...
Kilkakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:54 AM   #44
Psyringe
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Thalos View Post
full* 6408 x 1080 desktop res across 3 24's thanks to AMD's Eyefinity technology
It's amazing that the game is actually flexible enough to cope with that.

Now, how does it feel to be surrounded by Xenofungus from three sides?
Psyringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:01 AM   #45
Aphellyon
Chieftain

Sorry for the necro thread...

I'm now having the same issue with SMAX not being able to get full screen. It's really odd... I installed it a year ago on my windows 7 64bit machine, ran the patch and everything was fine. I just set up a fresh install on some new ssds with the same os, re-installed and ran the patch, but it's not giving me the full screen res. I've tried editing the ini file with the DirectDraw=0 as shown above but it's not working...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aphellyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:10 PM   #46
Petek
Alpha Centaurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphellyon View Post
Sorry for the necro thread...

I'm now having the same issue with SMAX not being able to get full screen. It's really odd... I installed it a year ago on my windows 7 64bit machine, ran the patch and everything was fine. I just set up a fresh install on some new ssds with the same os, re-installed and ran the patch, but it's not giving me the full screen res. I've tried editing the ini file with the DirectDraw=0 as shown above but it's not working...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hi Aphellyon,

Welcome to CFC and the Alpha Centauri forum!

Here are some tips to make the directdraw command work:

1. Make sure that the command appears in the [Alpha Centauri] section of your ini file. It should look something like this:

[Alpha Centauri]
DirectDraw=0

2. Delete any video mode= commands from the ini file.

3. Does "ssd" stand for Solid State Drive? If so, that should be OK. I just copied my SMAX installation to such a device and directdraw worked fine. Check that you're editing the appropriate ini file, though.

4. I've seen one or two instances in which the directdraw command didn't work. It probably was due to an incompatible monitor or video card. Is your card nVidia, ATI or something else? What is your native screen resolution in Windows?
Petek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:57 PM   #47
Aphellyon
Chieftain

Hi Petek,

I actually got the directdraw=0 working late last night... I had to set the axstart.exe to run as admin to get it to run at native desktop res. Turns out, my native res (1680x1050), wasn't what I was playing the game at on my previous install. I had it set to 1024x768 using the "Video Mode=1024" command. Thing is, when I play the previous install (I just got some ssds and have my system set up for dual boot... so I have access to both SMAX installs running the exact same os and hardware), it switches to 1024, but somehow manages to go full screen. When I run the game on my newer install, it forces 1024 but I get black bars on both sides (no full screen). I'm guessing this is some kind of video card settings thing but haven't been able to figure it out yet. My gpus are Nvidia, by the way.

Oh, I had a couple of other questions regarding the ini and game folders... I notice that the game seems to install in 2 different places (i'm running win7 64bit)... in the c:/Program Files (x86) folder and in the c:/users/aphellyon/appdata/local/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86) folder. What's the difference between these two locations and should both contain ini files?
Also, what does the "WindowsFileBox=" command mean? Mine is set to 0 but i've seen others set to 100.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: issue solved... WOOT! Had to go into the Nvidia control panel, under display, adjust desktop size and position and selected "use my display's built-in scaling"... default was "use nvidia scaling with fixed-aspect ratio". Now I can play at 1024 with no black bars. At any rate, playing the game at my native res of 1680 was interesting, but i got tired of squinting at the game's control panel.

Last edited by Aphellyon; Mar 26, 2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:36 PM   #48
Petek
Alpha Centaurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphellyon View Post
Hi Petek,

I actually got the directdraw=0 working late last night... I had to set the axstart.exe to run as admin to get it to run at native desktop res. Turns out, my native res (1680x1050), wasn't what I was playing the game at on my previous install. I had it set to 1024x768 using the "Video Mode=1024" command. Thing is, when I play the previous install (I just got some ssds and have my system set up for dual boot... so I have access to both SMAX installs running the exact same os and hardware), it switches to 1024, but somehow manages to go full screen. When I run the game on my newer install, it forces 1024 but I get black bars on both sides (no full screen). I'm guessing this is some kind of video card settings thing but haven't been able to figure it out yet. My gpus are Nvidia, by the way.

Oh, I had a couple of other questions regarding the ini and game folders... I notice that the game seems to install in 2 different places (i'm running win7 64bit)... in the c:/Program Files (x86) folder and in the c:/users/aphellyon/appdata/local/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86) folder. What's the difference between these two locations and should both contain ini files?
Also, what does the "WindowsFileBox=" command mean? Mine is set to 0 but i've seen others set to 100.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: issue solved... WOOT! Had to go into the Nvidia control panel, under display, adjust desktop size and position and selected "use my display's built-in scaling"... default was "use nvidia scaling with fixed-aspect ratio". Now I can play at 1024 with no black bars. At any rate, playing the game at my native res of 1680 was interesting, but i got tired of squinting at the game's control panel.
Glad to hear that you've got the game running the way you like.

The VirtualStore folder has to do with Windows 7 security. Programs aren't allowed to write to the usual Program Files folder to prevent exploits. That's about all I know about it, except that you shouldn't have to fiddle with it.

Setting WindowsFileBox=1 will cause certain dialog boxes, such as Load Game, to display as regular Windows dialog boxes instead of the custom SMACX-specific ones. The advantage is that you can use all the other dialog box features that aren't present in the custom boxes. If WindowsFileBox=100 works, then I guess the program just reads the first bit.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:59 PM   #49
Aphellyon
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petek View Post
Glad to hear that you've got the game running the way you like.

The VirtualStore folder has to do with Windows 7 security. Programs aren't allowed to write to the usual Program Files folder to prevent exploits. That's about all I know about it, except that you shouldn't have to fiddle with it.

Setting WindowsFileBox=1 will cause certain dialog boxes, such as Load Game, to display as regular Windows dialog boxes instead of the custom SMACX-specific ones. The advantage is that you can use all the other dialog box features that aren't present in the custom boxes. If WindowsFileBox=100 works, then I guess the program just reads the first bit.
Yea, me too. Time for me to visit planet and tame me some mindworms. (I wonder if Sid has any plans for a future Alpha Centauri game... man that would be nice)

Thanks again for the info bro.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:55 PM   #50
nothiba
Chieftain

Thanks for the direct draw fix, it makes the game look awesome at 1680x1050 but is there any way to make it more alt tab friendly? or any way to run it windowed?

I usually like having websites or even guides running in a browser while I play but I'm too cheap for 2 monitors , whenever I try I can't see any other window behind Alpha Centauri.
nothiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:50 PM   #51
Krall
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Thalos View Post

That is wicked and has given me a case of jealousy!
Krall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:20 PM   #52
Zarthushtr
Chieftain

Hello

For some strange reason, my alpha centauri.ini file is empty. Is this normal? If not, would someone kindly their .ini file text to copy onto mine. I run SMAX.

Many thanks.
Zarthushtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:04 PM   #53
Petek
Alpha Centaurian

As you probably know, an Alpha Centauri.ini file should be created the first time you start the game. If your ini file is blank, the "real" ini file may be located elsewhere. You can test your ini file by adding to it the lines

[Alpha Centauri]
DirectDraw=0

If your ini file is the active one, the resolution should change the next time you start the game.

If you're running Windows 7, look in

C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri

The name for your path may differ depending on where you installed the game. If that doesn't help, search your hard drive for files named Alpha Centauri.ini. If none of this helps, please post again.