Math03: OCCC

Mathias

OCC Rocks!
One City Conquest Challenge - Need I say more?

The Details
Version: C3C 1.22
Difficulty: Monarch
Civilization: China
Opponents: Random
Map Size: Small
Barbarians: Restless
Land Mass: Pangaea
Water Coverage: 60%
Climate: Normal
Temperature: Temperate

The Roster
TheBB
Mach
Mathias
commodified
Disenfrancised

@Mathias--I'd like to join, if you'll have me. I beat Emperor regularly, have a single-player AW Monarch game in the bag, but haven't yet logged a Deity win (just got C3C recently, so I haven't tried my hand at DG yet).

I was thinking of starting an SG with this variant, anyhow. Shall we talk map settings/difficulty/civ?

lurker’s comment: Not a sign-up, just plan on lurking.

Since you’re going for a OCCC taking out the AI’s as soon as possible is a must. I’d suggest using the Inca’s as their Chasqui Scout (1/1/2) could be a definite advantage at the start. This tactic was used big time in the HOF. The Aztec’s and their Jaguar Warrior (1/1/2) would also be great for this.

Well, that's only for tiny pangaeae... I suggest, for a more fun game, and a more certain win (remember, HOF games are abandoned if they don't go well), either Persia or Greece.

lurker's comment: OCCwhatever have a great need for the Colossus, if you are not on a tiny pangea, given you want to have anything to do with techs past HBR/IW.

Seafaring gives you a coastal position, which is necessary if you are not on pangea.
Military is good since you will want the most out of every single unit you can make.
Scientific also helps a bit because of the free tech and the early spearman.
EXP and AGR should not be disregarded, they give good early bonuses.

My choice of civs would be among (no order) Biz, Viks, Dutch (if not pangea or random landmass) and add to that Aztecs and Incas if set pangea.

I'd love to sign up but I really can't afford more time than the lurk until the end of the month :sad:

Hey all, checking in. :wavey:

Got stuff to do now, but real quick. Persia sounds wonderful to me; hopefully not too early a GA. I've played Greeks a lot in the past, and Ottos in the SGOTM. How about China, maybe? I've never played them, might be a decent enough challenge, militaristic and industrious, knight replacement. The extra movement on the rider would probably help keep casualities low...

Pangea, awesome. Other things, how about monarch, small size 60% H2O, or standard size 80% H2O? Each would pose slightly different problems, each would be cool.

For research I'd imagine we're going to do targeted research (like lit) and a lot of trading and pointy stick research, going at 0% sci at times to build cash for upgrades.

I'd like to have barbs on, roaming maybe. Those are my thoughts right now.

Barbs are a good idea, especially as mil: the more, the most proms, the better.

I'm sure most of you have read this legendary SG, but if you haven't I highly recommend reading it before we start. Team Aggie did OCCC Regent before OCCC Monarch before OCCC Emperor, and all those players are amazing!

Still, I concur with trying Monarch, so long as it's a small map. 60% H2O sounds good. I think barbs would be a lot better for our enemies than for us. :( Also, does anybody want to try out a less obvious civ, like India (for jumbos ;))? If not I vote Celts. We'll probably be able to do 20 spt by the time we fight our first big war, which means an Immortal every two turns or a Celtic Sword every 2 turns (I know which one I'd prefer).

Commodified, it's not evident from my info there, but you and I call the same lil' town home. :)

Another point about barbs is they tend to slow ai settlement rate, which can only help us. Just thought of that.

I like the idea of having a fast UU, since I think they have better survivability (with retreat, and also they'll spend less time in enemy territory, so they'll get attacked less). Also I imagine our supply line will be huge (and shifting) after awhile, so fast units will be better with that. India would be cool since jumbos need no resource, and the extra hp helps against muskets, but on the other hand religious and commercial is a bit weak in this game. I still like China: mil and ind, and movement-3 knights. Remember that this isn't AW, so we'll be able to trade for resources if we need to.

Team Aggie did OCCC Regent before OCCC Monarch before OCCC Emperor, and all those players are amazing!
mind you, there is also Aggie's OCCC on demigod and we won. trying to up the ante and go for deity resulted in a terribly fast loss.
OCCC DG

I'd like to join if possible. I can also beat emperor regularly by now. Never tried demigod nor diety.

lurker's comment: That AWS is just nuts

sign me up

I've updated the first post. Welcome to all those who have joined. Now, let's get down to business.

Choosing our civ is probably the most important decision of the game. We need to choose a civ that fits our approach, so we need to discuss that first. Do we want to start out in war mode, preparing to eliminate our nearest rival as early as possible, then carry on with a lot of AA warfare? Or do we want to concentrate on research first, with a few skirmishes in the AA to keep our neighbors from becoming too strong, then bring out the big guns with a knight-based UU, possibly before they have pikemen? These two options are about as far apart as they get, so which do you think is more interesting/challenging?

For the other options:
random opponents preferred
barbs roaming or restless
climate options default, but open to change for any reason

I don't know (first SG - yay :p). SoZ or KT would be nice right? I think the second approach sound more fun but possibly more hard. With only one city, it can only get harder the longer we wait. So going with a knight-based UU is more interesting and challenging for me.

I'm not gonna meddle with all the other settings. I usually play with barbs on roaming, but they're not very dangerous for us (I reckon) being so small anyway...

Top Bottom