Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > OTHER GAMES > Never Ending Stories

Old May 02, 2010, 10:34 PM   #5261
Lord_Iggy
Tsesk'ihe

I'd be up for that... though I had lots of fun playing as the personification, or lack thereof, of entropy.
Old May 03, 2010, 06:46 AM   #5262
Justo
Emperor

I had an idea for a PokeNES. Me and Amon have been working on some rules etc for it. Here's a basic concept I have for the Pokemon Trainers.

Each player can choose to be a trainer and there may be the potential to be something else although that's undecided so far.

There are potentially 2 maps. One with pokemon population density and another with Pokemon types (lightning, fire etc). Players start out with a certain amount of money and at the start can purchase from a pre determined pool of pokemon (Mostly common low level Pokemon at the start). Pokemon can be purchased throughout the whole game although it's unlikely anything rare/great will be there. Unlike the PG13 versions of the game or the cartoon series Pokemon can die by combat or old age(so don't throw all of your eggs in one basket). Like the game trainers can only hold 6 pokemon at a time although can store an infinite number pokemon which can be switched in and out each turn. Unlike the game each pokemon costs money to maintain (food, healing etc). This would be something generic like $10 a turn. This and Pokemon dieing is to hopefully ensure that trainers not amass huge numbers of low level pokemon.

Pokemon trainers can earn money in many ways such as selling Pokemon, fighting other trainers(NPC or PC) being hired by trainers and/or maybe some sort of vendor to capture certain types of Pokemon etc. Money is spent on maintaining Pokemon, buying Pokeballs to capture new Pokemon(something like $10-$50 each), buying new Pokemon etc(it may be possible to purchase upgrades for Pokemon like enhanced fire resistance or fire attack but this is only a maybe at this stage. Might get to complicated.) Purchasing is done at the start of each turn and does not take action points.

Each turn every player has 5 actions he can perform such as training, competing against other trainers, moving(maybe) and capturing pokemon. On the population density map there will be 4 levels. White will imply no Pokemon(mostly around cities), pink small numbers of pokemon, light red moderate numbers of pokemon and dark red large numbers of pokemon. These levels determine the amount of exp gained and likelyhood of capturing pokemon both rare and common. With training players gain 1 exp point in the pink area, 2 exp points in light red and 3 exp points in dark red if they are able to survive in the area. Exp points can then be spent on leveling up Pokemon depending on the type of Pokemon. The different stages of evolution require certain amounts of exp points(E.G the Charmander family. Charmander will require 1 exp point for each level. At level 18 it can be evolved(but it doesn't have to be) to Charmeleon for 1 exp point and the Charmeleon will remain level 18. Charmeleon will then cost 2 exp points per level but since it is stronger also has a better chance at surviving in the more densly populated pokemon areas so earning more exp etc. Charizard would cost 3 exp per turn.) When competing against other trainers exp may be gained as well although not sure yet on the number gained. With 2 PC trainers they will determine the amount being fought for and if possible battles will be run through AIM, MSN or GTalk.

To allow some sort of goal there might also be the 8 Gyms leaders to compete against as well as an elite four, blue and red as the ultimate competition. The Gym competitions are unlike the game in that the player chooses how many pokemon to compete with so against the Water Gym member the player may choose 4 Pokemon for both competitors. Against trainers rules similar to that can be organized or not. Gym/ Elite Trainer victories provide large sums of money and all 8 badges are required to unlock the elite four.

Here are the rough sample stats.

Trainer/Player: Red/Justo
Money: 1000 (-30)
Experience Points: 5
Badges: None
Pokemon: Charmander lvl 5
Ratatta lvl 3
Spoiler:
Stored: Pidgey lvl 2

The (-30) next to money represents maintenance costs.

Anyway if anyone has any thoughts or ideas let me know. This is still in the rough draft stage.
Old May 03, 2010, 07:59 AM   #5263
Anonymoose
KING OF MEESE

Not too complicated, I like it. Will the pokemon become unruly if you don't get badges like in the game, or could I have no badges and a team of charizards?

I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind.
Anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 09:50 AM   #5264
Dreadnought
Deity

What has NESing come to?!?
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 09:58 AM   #5265
Seon
An Evil Liar

It has come to Paradise.
-Don't make a deal with Seon without offering him buttered lobster first-hbar (paraphrased)
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 10:48 AM   #5266
Ninja Dude
Bear of Hizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Iggy View Post
I'd be up for that... though I had lots of fun playing as the personification, or lack thereof, of entropy.
Well, if this next one works out well, I might return to the old one and modify the rules to make it a little more manageable and junk. But yeah, who all else is interested in a GodNES? If we have enough interest, I could probably start one up this week.
Old May 03, 2010, 11:02 AM   #5267
Luckymoose
The World is Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dude View Post
Well, if this next one works out well, I might return to the old one and modify the rules to make it a little more manageable and junk. But yeah, who all else is interested in a GodNES? If we have enough interest, I could probably start one up this week.
I want Naihana back!

Ain't it fun living in the real world
Ain't it good being all alone
Ain't it good to be on your own
Ain't it fun you can't count on no one

The Faith in End of Empires
Luckymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 11:02 AM   #5268
Lord_Iggy
Tsesk'ihe

Interested!
Old May 03, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5269
Seon
An Evil Liar

Interested. Let the world tremble from the wrath of the gods
-Don't make a deal with Seon without offering him buttered lobster first-hbar (paraphrased)
Old May 03, 2010, 11:28 AM   #5270
Milarqui
Deity

I might be if the game seems interesting enough.
Milarqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 11:38 AM   #5271
Kentharu
Zebra Commander

Pokemon nes? Really?

#nes For arrogant douches only.
Kentharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 12:42 PM   #5272
nutranurse
Unlikeliest of Slash Fics

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. I think it's just a fad Kentharu D:
nutranurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 01:09 PM   #5273
Seon
An Evil Liar

And when did people start changing their avatar into pokemon/digomon characters?
Old May 03, 2010, 01:22 PM   #5274
Kyzarc Fotjage
HONK honk HONK honk

definitely interested in godhood.
“Not a promise, not an oath, or a malediction or a curse,” I said, sounding calm, probably inaudible in the midst of Tagg’s screaming. “Inevitable. Wasn’t that how she put it? I told them. Warned them.” -Skitter
The Cascadian Combine in ImmacunesV
Kyzarc Fotjage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 02:05 PM   #5275
Ninja Dude
Bear of Hizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymoose View Post
I want Naihana back!
In due time my friend. But first you'll have to endure me doing another NES.
Old May 03, 2010, 02:36 PM   #5276
Frozen In Ice
Emperor

I'd love for there to be another GodNES, count me in!
Frozen In Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 05:49 PM   #5277
Heraclius49
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dude View Post
Well, I think I might give another crack at a GodNes. However, I need to kinda figure out how to make sure players aren't totally all powerful. Because eventually a "I hit you" "no you didn't I dodged it" argument is going to come up or some complicated crap. I can make a backstory myself so that no conflicts arise about that, but I'll need an effective way to limit players from running rampant. Here is what I'm leaning towards:

-Make the players more demigod-like, roaming existence with very strong magical abilities, but not truly being omnipotent. Their powers would still be great. They could alter their surroundings with great effort and create minions and stuff. Also, no teleporting. That makes crap way too complicated.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?
You should tie a God's power to the number of followers that he has. That would prevent people from going wild and killing everyone, as it would eliminate potential converts. Also, people would not worship someone whose first instinct is to kill.

To reduce God's powers, you should make a sort of statistic for "stamina," They would only be able to cause grand catastrophes very rarely.

You could also have the God's function in a more hands off fashion where their primary purpose would be supporting their followers instead of wandering around the earth and causing havoc.

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one."
- Mikhail Tal
Heraclius49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 07:07 PM   #5278
Omega124
Challenging Fate

I like this Poké NES idea, but I'd to play as the Pokémon themselves.
KaiserElectric: Anyhoo, that sounds okay Megs.
Omega124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 08:10 PM   #5279
Ninja Dude
Bear of Hizen

Quote:
You should tie a God's power to the number of followers that he has. That would prevent people from going wild and killing everyone, as it would eliminate potential converts. Also, people would not worship someone whose first instinct is to kill.
This, among other things, will decide a God's strength. Another factor, which was present in my last God NES, was the concept of balance. While I don't know how much influence I will have it play in this upcoming NES, in my last one it was pretty influential. The universe/existence would naturally balance itself out, or at least try to when things became unbalanced. If one element or aspect of existence gets too strong, it will gradually become harder and harder for it to remain dominant.

But yeah, there will be an incentive for gods to not go around wiping the floor with puny mortals. But it'll be okay to do it every once and a while

Quote:
To reduce God's powers, you should make a sort of statistic for "stamina," They would only be able to cause grand catastrophes very rarely.
Yeah, I'm replacing the number based "Effort Point" system with a more vague description of a God's strength and possibly their "health". As a god exerts his or herself, it will be more and more difficult, if not impossible, for them to be able to do large scale miracles or what have you. And if they try to do something large-scale while overexerted things could go horribly wrong.
Quote:
You could also have the God's function in a more hands off fashion where their primary purpose would be supporting their followers instead of wandering around the earth and causing havoc.
I might implement this, or simply have it be a personal choice for each player on how they want to play. Some gods could sit in the clouds and barely exert themselves, leaving most of the work to their followers, while others could be more directly involved in earthly affairs. Both would have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Old May 03, 2010, 08:19 PM   #5280
Lord_Iggy
Tsesk'ihe

We could follow my 3-tier system, where there are:

Primary Gods
Gods of universal constants, such as time, light, and... say, entropy. These gods often get few worshippers, but their power is the least tied to human worship. They apply a limited influence everywhere, but struggle to apply powerful influence in any single place.

Secondary Gods
Gods of superhuman concepts and objects, like fire, death, and nature. These gods will get more worshippers, and have a far greater ability to affect local events, while having less wide-ranging powers than the primary gods.

Tertiary Gods
Gods of human concepts, like music, wisdom and war. These gods are far removed from the vast-ranging but thinly spread primary gods, their power stems entirely from their human worshippers. In localized situations, a tertiary god can be massively efficient in converting worship into miraculous powers, but without support they are terribly weakened.

Basically, it is a continuum between having 'universal' powers and having 'human' powers. Universal gods are more constant, while Human gods can have much wilder fluctuations in terms of their capabilities.