Return to Castle Wolfenstein

damunzy

recovering former mod
Retired Moderator
Wow, I downloaded the demo and must say that I enjoyed myself. I am not a big FPS player so maybe I don't know how to judge these games but it brought back memories of the first FPS I ever played, Wolfenstein 3D! The only problem I have, is not the game but my graphics card, a Matrox G400 Max. Matrox isn't supporting it well any more and has release some crappy drivers that randomly crash my system. Unfortunately I cannot run the game with out them because the Microsoft XP drivers for my card, while supremely stable, don't support OpenGL. I guess I need to buy that GeForce2 and new processor, right honey? ;)

I must say I am very dissapointed with RTCW. Single- and Multiplayer.
To me it feels like taking the worst from DoD and TFC. I still think FA & FLF are the best online FPS. And singleplayer.. well, Halo is the best one (and the cooperative part seems fun too) but since it's only out for xbox so ar I would go for Max Payne as the best PC Shooter. I had Wolfenstein through in 5 hrs and it was neither hard nor interesting. The only good part of Wolfenstein is near the end when u got to eliminate 5 (or was it 7?) SS Officers without being seen by anyone. But the rest is like Max Payne without style :o

Is Max Payne good? i saw the commercial for it and i want to get it for PS2 :) Also Burnout and Grand Theft Auto 3!!!!!!!! :)

Don't steal my RTCW thread SunTzu! ;) j/k
How is Max?

Max Payne is one of those games that are very good and very dissapointing at the same time. It has good graphics, good story and that neat bullet time thingy :goodjob:
But it's a straight forwart shooter that basically steps back to the times of Doom or Quake. No sneaking, no silenced weapons, no climbing, no inventory, just action. I think it's the best singleplayer FPS for PC right now. No multiplayer though :(
For PS2 it's not as good. Graphics aren't as good and the levels had to be divided into several parts because the PS2 couldn't handle the size. So you see the loading screen more often and also longer than on PC or xbox. The xbox version is 1:1 from PC. In level & graphic :goodjob:

Have to agree, Max Payne is great and sad at the same time, i had great fun playing it, but it's replayability is sooo low.. Played it once all through, and once till mid way, then it just didn't interest me anymore. So eventhough it's great, it's too short term.

And RTCW well, loved the first part of the game, and just plain hated the last few levels. Stupid enemies and an all to often used stupid ending, just some hard to kill baddies, the easy way out if you ask me. Why can't gamemakers make interesting ending instead of the ever boring 'ultra-unstopable-mega-stupid-endboss'
And all of the tougher enemies just didn't apeal to me to be honest.

Hope multiplayer makes up for it. Haven't tried it, still hooked on Civ & CS :)

I liked the ending of Max, that was fun.

Top Bottom