Complete list of easter eggs in Civ3

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I actually started working on this easter eggs page for quiet a while but didn't get to finish it until now.

The page lists all the known easter eggs in Civ3. Some have screenshots.

Take a look:

https://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/easter-eggs/

if you know some easter eggs not listed, you can post there and I'll add them.

Last edited:
I still say the cityscape behind modern Alexander looks suspiciously like downtown Tucson.

Found it in the editor help for conquest (might be for others) there is a subject called Notyoueither and when you open it up all it says is "the beer was great thanks"

It's quite, not quiet! :mad: ;)

Great list Thunderfall! Although the "lol" easter egg didn't come out in Civ III, it came out in PTW, because Carthage was not introduced until PTW. :mischief:

:lol: notyoueither is an Apolyton poster!

About Lol, in fact Iol, i've found this on the web, It was a trade place in Phrygia (Turkey) founded by the Carthaginians :
"Archaeology Wordsmith - [ Traduire cette page ]
DEFINITION: An ancient city of Phrygia near the Orontes River and modern Yalvaç
in Turkey. ... Iol was originally founded as a Carthaginian trading station, ...
www.reference-wordsmith.com/ cgi-bin/lookup.cgi?exact=1&terms=area - 16k -"

RegentMan said:

Great list Thunderfall! Although the "lol" easter egg didn't come out in Civ III, it came out in PTW, because Carthage was not introduced until PTW. :mischief:

:lol: notyoueither is an Apolyton poster!
Fixed and added. Thanks. :)

The last English city (The Mumbles) was the home of Catherine Zeta Jones. Don't know if this is an Easter egg as such, but The Mumbles certainly isn't a major English city (Its not even English)

RegentMan said:
Thunderfall said:
Fixed and added. Thanks. :)
I still see quiet on the front page. :mischief:

(I can't believe we're actually getting away with policing the admin's spelling. :lol: )

When I look inside the palace I swear there's a laz-boy in there.

superslug said:
I still see quiet on the front page. :mischief:

(I can't believe we're actually getting away with policing the admin's spelling. :lol: )
oops! I didn't notice that part. What I did was change that easter egg from Civ3 to PTW.

I should thank RegentMan the spelling police for pointing it out. :D That was probably not the first time I made that "quiet" mistake. :blush:

Carrots is a reference to Real Genius where Professor Hathaway tells young Mitch that 'Compared to you, most people have the IQ of a carrot.'

I emailed Firaxis to see if there are some easter eggs not on the list and Mike Breitkreutz replied back with lots of interesting info. :)

You missed a few!

Here are some that were either never found or aren't listed:

- Much like the Elvis Unit, there were some other special units we didn't have time to make but the triggering code is still in there. Because of this, if someone makes a unit with a specific name they will show up as kings or flags (in regicide/capture the princess games) on certain dates. (PTW)
- Leprechaun Unit: If there is a unit named "Leprechaun", the kings/flags will be replaced with this unit on March 17 (St. Patrick's Day).
- Zombie Unit: If there is a unit named "Zombie", the kings/flags will be replaced with this unit on October 31 (Halloween).
- Santa Unit: If there is a unit named "Santa", the kings/flags will be replaced with this unit on December 25 (Christmas).

- Cultural Advisor Message: The cultural advisor can say "Culture is what gives our people power. It's created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us." This is a reference to one of Obi-Wan Kenobi's lines in Star Wars, though he, of course, is referring to the Force ("The Force is what gives the Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us."). (PTW)

- Foreign Advisor Message: The foreign advisor can say (if you've met at least one other civ) "$OURCIV0 will always triumph, because $ENEMYCIV1 is dumb." This is a reference to one of Dark Helmet's lines in Spaceballs ("Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."). (PTW)

- Military Advisor Message: The military advisor can say (if you have nukes) "Good? Bad? You're the one with the nukes." This is a reference to one of Ash's lines in Army of Darkness ("Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."). (PTW)

- Domestic Advisor Message: The domestic advisor can say (if you have a city in civil disorder) "$CITY0 in flames. Film at eleven." This is a reference to one of the newscaster's lines in The Kentucky Fried Movie ("Moscow in flames, missiles headed toward New York. Film at eleven."). (PTW)

- Trade Advisor Message: The trade advisor can say "I'm not even supposed to [be] here today!" This is one of Dante's lines in Clerks. (PTW)

- General Advisor Message: Any advisor can say "Hail to the $TITLE0, baby!" This is reference to another one of Ash's lines in Army of Darkness ("Hail to the king, baby!"). (PTW)

- Psychadelic Editor: Press the ~ key. The results have no actual effect on any map created and are not even saved with the map. (Civ3)

Plus, here a few corrections/additions/clarifications:

- Not Constantinople: The song was not originally by They Might Be Giants. It predates them by a number of years. I'm not sure who the original artist is though.

- Elvis Unit: Also changes flag units to Elvis in capture the flag/princess games.

- JAIMO Unit: Jeff Morris -- he really does look like that (except for the pink socks). The name came from a bastardization of Jennifer Lopez' nickname - J-Lo. An intern started calling Jeff "J-Mo" and I named the unit Jaimo to look like it might be something that would fit in the Medieval Japan unit set.

- Sleep is for the weak!: This is also a reference to the fact that the programmers were working all hours of the night and weren't getting much sleep...

- Carrots: This is one of Prof. Hathaway's lines in the movie Real Genius (spoken to Val Kilmer's character). Also, you don't have to be ahead in science for this to show up; it can show up anytime.

- Beer was great: Dan Magaha put this in editor help file (he made the help file) but I did drink a majority of the beer...

It's been awhile since I worked on Civ3/PTW/Conquests and those are all I can remember. I don't think there are others but I could have forgotten something. And I don't know if Breakaway put any others in Conquests or not since they did most of the initial work on it; we just came in later for bug fixes and additions.
The civ3 easter eggs page is now updated with this info.
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/easter_eggs.php

Thanks to MikeB for those great info! :goodjob:

I'm pretty sure the carrot remark was made to Mitch. Not that it matters. Good movie....

Hmmm...need to go put one of the lines in that movie into my sig now....

Heres all the pics of the editor colors
(some of the colors are screwed up by the JPG conversion)

Attachments

• Civeditor.JPG
    Civeditor.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 3,354
Top Bottom