TGOM 02 - The Grumpy Old Monk and the Ancient Crone go to Alpha Centauri

Bede

Deity
Hiawatha has grown tired of his canoe and wants to build a spaceship to see more of the universe than just the Land of Sky Blue Waters. He's annoyed with that silly bear and the beer on tap at the tavern in the pine woods by the lake make him belch and break wind. He has heard that the Planetary Party Lounge serves blueberry schnapps with Pilsener chasers.

So here's the game:

Nation: Iroquois
Opponents: Random
Barbarians: Random
World: Continents, 60% water, normal climate settings, old world
Level: Emperor
Version: C3C 1.22 with AINoPatrol=0

First start generated will be played.

Roster:

gmharriet
cleverhandle
General Mayhem
eotinb
Butterball
Bede

Strict 24hrs to claim and another 48 to play.

The LK rules apply.

I'd like to play this one. I may need an occasional skip depending on the timing (Wednesdays/Thursdays are very busy for me), but I would make sure to let everybody know.
Bede said:
He has heard that the Planetary Party Lounge serves blueberry schnapps with Pilsener chasers.
Reminds of a great-tasting (though foul-sounding) drink I make with Aquavit and blueberry syrup. Perhaps I'll mix some up in Hiawatha's honor.
The LK rules apply.
Can you provide a link or a summary of those, please? I know I've read them around this forum, but I don't recall the details and a quick search didn't turn up a precise statement.

Come on in to the hut, clever. Pull up a stool and set a spell.

Spoiler LK Rules :

LKendter said:
The following tactics are PROHIBITED:

RoP Abuse Tactics - Denying resources, blocking key tiles, RoP rape, or other ways to screw-up a civ via the RoP. A scout in AI territory has an explicit RoP and is subject to this rule.

Peace Treaty abuse - If you get concessions from the AI you must wait for the 20 turns to end before declaring another war.

Resource abuse - You can't disconnect / reconnect a resource every turn for the sake of building cheap units to upgrade with excess cash.

Ship chaining exploit - you can move a ship, unload troops to another ship in the same square not using any movement, move that ship, etc. This allows you to ship an indefinite distance, and that is why I consider it an exploit.

The negative science exploit - you can run a huge deficit (-250 / turn) of negative cash with a token penalty of one lost worker / cheap building. If cash will go below zero, the research level must be dropped.

Palace Jump - You abandon the capital city to move the palace to a new location. If you want to move the palace, build a new palace.

Mass troop jumping - You can't give away a give a city to transport a large amount of troops to another landmass.

Worker baiting - You can't spread around and sacrifice workers to an oncoming attack. This is often done to avoid losing real units or cities. This takes advantage of the AI failure to prioritize targets.

Worker blockades - You can't fortify a bunch of workers along the coast to prevent invasions, or shut down the borders with workers. The workers must be actively doing something.

Standard LK house rules:
1) Worker automation of any kind is prohibited.

2) Our reputation is golden - please respect it.

3) You may not declare war on a civ if you are currently shipping cash and / or goods to the civ. The ONLY exception is a pure per-turn deal if it is the last war of the game. I still don't like this, but this is a concession to the SG community standards.

4) Even if not covered under exploits listed, please try not to use tactics that take advantage of holes in the game design.

5) As you probably know barbs are screwed up in C3C. It is preferred that you add the following line to your Civ3 .ini file - noAIpatrol=0. Adding "noAIpatrol=0" to the .ini file turns the annoying patrolling back on for the AIs, but also restores movement to the barbarians.

I'd love a chance at one of your training games Bede, maybe it'll help me get over the hump to Emperor. (so far managed 1 space emperor win)

Nice acquisition in Cleverhandle. :thumbsup:

Butterball would be interested in this game but he's only a warlord level player. He needs some work but he'll prolly listen to Bede more than he listens to me. :p

No probs if you want to keep it Regent+

:salute: General Mayhem. Sounds like you are "over the hump", so let's see just how fast we can get to liftoff.

Signing in. I've been looking forward to one of your games and I'm excited about this. :D

I'll just c&p what you wrote for AIpatrol into my .ini file. It's on default currently.

Edit: @GA, yes my first SG, though Admiral K has asked me to sub for his Igor game, but I haven't played yet. It's daunting!!! :eek:

@ Bede, since I go first, how detailed do you want the turn logs? Also, is 4000 BC a turn or a pre-turn? 20 turns to start?

lurker's comment: as always, im drunk when posting, but still, id be very happy to guess a few if needed. will lurk for sure. and probably make some lude remarks.
get BB on this team. any of whomp's kin should be ok, right!

gmaharriet said:
Signing in. I've been looking forward to one of your games and I'm excited about this. :D

I'll just c&p what you wrote for AIpatrol into my .ini file. It's on default currently.

Edit: @GA, yes my first SG, though Admiral K has asked me to sub for his Igor game, but I haven't played yet. It's daunting!!! :eek:

@ Bede, since I go first, how detailed do you want the turn logs? Also, is 4000 BC a turn or a pre-turn? 20 turns to start?

lurker's comment: Nice! 4000 BC is turn 0, the 20th turn (which most games start up to) is 3000 BC. The save you download in a SG is always turn 0. The turn you save on (leaving the other person just to hit ENTER) is turn 10. Use F8, that helps in the "Turn number: XX" category. I'll let Bede answer the next part.

Actually Bede, I don't consider myself over the hump since the start I had was a super start (3 cows and 2 or 3 bg's) and I would have lost that game by domination within 5 turns had I not launched. It was also my one and only Emperor win, and I think what's hurting me is I have problems getting started.

Is there still an open spot? I'd like to give it a try. 'Twould be my first SG, if that makes any difference, and I am right about at the point of making the jump to Emperor (haven't actually tried a game on Emperor, but I've been doing pretty well on Regent/Monarch).

Whomp said:
Butterball would be interested in this game but he's only a warlord level player. He needs some work but he'll prolly listen to Bede more than he listens to me. :p
I don't listen to MY son's advice much either. Well, I listen politely...then do what I wanted to do in the first place. :lol:

Hi, Butterball!!! :wavey:

lurkers comment: I don't have C3C or else I would join in. I've been lokoing for a Emporer SG game so I geuss I'll just lurk on this one, see what I can learn...

Although Space Race isn't quite what I have difficulties with...

Welcome to the [party] lounge eotinb. And welcome to CFC.

Special guest slot opened for Butterball if he wants in.

So the roster is full.

@gmharriet,

Go ahead and roll a start using the parameters in post 1. Just remember to use the very first start you roll. Then post the save and the screenshot and we can talk our way through the opening moves.

The first to go plays twenty with the opening save at 4000BC counting as zero, and the last turn complete at 3000BC or when the turn counter in f8 is at 20. The player always completes all moves in that turn and then saves.

Subsequent turns are 10 unless something is going on that the player wants to see through to completion, or the player does not want to start something that might compromise the next player's opening turn for whatever reason.

I am not a big fan of the overly detailed turnlog and prefer a narrative style that tells a story rather than simply notes that Scoutslair built a library and started a rax. I mean really, who cares? What is important are reports of diplomatic meetings with the oppo, what new knowledge was discovered and by whom, what sort of tactics are being employed in any wars and what the battle results were, what new information about resources and luxuries has been uncovered, what is the general state of the empire and what actions were taken to address areas of concern or suboptimal conditions.

In the early going it is important to make detailed notes of worker actions and why, as well as explorer movements and why as well as what the build orders for city improvments or troops are.

@the team
Here are some general guidelines from a master of the game (TedJackson)

General SG Etiquette Guidelines
Please do:
Let the team know if you're going to be unable to play for an extended period - holiday, illness, work, etc.
Post a "Got it" notice or ask for a skip within 24 hours of the save becoming available (I reserve the right to skip a player who hasn't responded after the 24 hour grace period is over).
Play and post within 48 hours of posting a "Got it".

Write up a log of the events occurring during your turn and post it along with your save.

Provide notes for the next player as to the current situation and any immediate plans for the future - are those Caravels heading NE or SW? is that Swordsman fortified to heal or act as a lookout? Our forces are mustering for an attack on...

Feel free to pause and ask for advice, or simply discuss, if a situation arisies in the game and you're unsure of the best course of action.

Please do not:
Automate Workers.

Use City Governors unless the team has discussed and agreed their use.

Leave units on goto orders that will extend beyond your turn.

Make deals on your last turn. However, you should notify the next player if trading opportunities exist.

Make wholesale changes to build orders on the inherited turn without consulting the team.

General Gameplay Notes

Reputation: we will need to protect our reputation very carefully in the early part of the game. Losing the ability to make GPT deals early on would make the game much harder.

Brokering: for those unfamiliar with the term it's just a shorthand for acting as "middleman" in deals - e.g. buying a tech from Civ A then selling it on to Civs B, D & E (hopefully picking up something else of value along the way).

We'll need to be on the lookout for brokering opportunities at every turn so I suggest that we use CRPMapstat or CAII to monitor trade opportunities. This utility offers no information that cannot be gained by slogging through the Diplomatic screens every turn, it just presents the information quickly and simply.

Roads: we will need every gold piece we can lay our hands on in the early game so building roads has an even higher priority than normal. We really don't want our citizens working unroaded tiles.

So with that all said, welcome to TGOM 02 and let's roll.

As soon as gmh posts the starting save I will have some more detailed comments.

OK, since I'm not sure how to upload more than a single file and have a pic actually show as a pic, rather than just a link, it will take me 2 posts. Here's the starting map.

Attachments

• Iroquois4000 bc.jpg
    Iroquois4000 bc.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 621
And here's the save. I'm sure I'll learn how to do both a pic and a save in one post. I've seen that done in other people's threads.

Edited to add: I was hoping for 3 cows, a lux and several bonus grass tiles, but I guess it could have been much worse. ;)

gmaharriet: After uploading the file, look in the upload directory and then right click on the file you just uploaded. Choose copy link location, then either paste that link in your post or into a text editor like notepad. Repeat for every file you upload. In the case of large screenshots, its not a bad idea to make a seperate post for them.

As far as the start goes, I'd settle on site, don't have the save open but from the screenie it looks like we get some kind of bonus food out on the plains after cultural expansion, we have at least 1 bg, and we should be able work the mountain and hill for decent shields, not to mention the forests for chops.

I think the problem is gmharriet used the manage attachments feature instead of the file upload for the save and image. If you use the upload file link at the bottom of the page, you can follow General Mayhems instructions for incorporating the image as well as the save (with attachment or upoaded).

Good luck guys. Looks like sugar cane lurking in the plains - similar to bonus grass.

Back to lurking...

I'd move the worker to the BG before settling, since I imagine that's what we'd do with the worker anyway, and if there are 3 cows, some wine, and a few more BG over that-a-way (per gmaharriet's wishes) we'll see them. Barring such a discovery, settling in place seems smart.

Top Bottom