Failed to Initialize Renderer

Do you mean manually click DirectX SETUP within the DirectX folder on the CD or manually moved each file? THEN you restart? THEN you put in DISK 2. INSTALL, then DISK 1 (with its Dab3 thing) then reinsert 2 when that's done? Am I getting this?

latest post from civ4.com. i seen this in a previous post. didn't even check my tech tree yet.

Received a French Tech Tree Poster? 10.26.05
2K Games has determined that a small amount of U.S. units of Civilization IV incorrectly included the French Language tech tree poster due to an error at an assembly plant. 2K Games is replacing this at no cost, please click this link for more information. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.
[Click Here for Tech Tree Support]

Ok someone from Firaxis mention to cleanout all drivers. I dont know if this will work for you but its the tool to clean. Its just kinda fiddly requiring safemode. You can read the instructions (and follow them step by step)

Get DriverClean here, it clears out all remnants of old drivers

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Get a "Program is too big to fit in memory" error when trying to run the DriverCleaner Setup App

JaguarUSF said:
jpinard's suggestion (reinstalling directx) did not work for me.

Didn't work from me either -- used it off the CD and downloaded a new one from MS.

invoke41 said:
Ok someone from Firaxis mention to cleanout all drivers. I dont know if this will work for you but its the tool to clean. Its just kinda fiddly requiring safemode. You can read the instructions (and follow them step by step)

Get DriverClean here, it clears out all remnants of old drivers

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

The problem with that is I just cleaned out all my old drivers less than a week ago to play FEAR.

this is what we know...

"Anyone who encounters this problem needs to do the following:

1. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the listing titled ‘ATI Graphics Driver’

2. Once uninstalled they need to download the latest version of the Windows Catalyst Driver – 5.10

Windows XP & Windows 2000:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

REBOOT
Retry launching the game

This solution has worked on every single test case and is the only available workaround."

I have an ATI branded X800 XT Platinum. If the above fix doesn't work, there's a good chance the file is protected and not getting replaced from the install CD - or is being updated, and re-replaced upon reboot (which can happen with AV-software or system restore).

As "invoke" mentioned a thread above, a great idea is to grab a fresh copy of CAT drivers, download drivercleaner and follow the directions. I can't suggest whether to install dx before or after your ATI driver re-install after the cleaning. But since I use drivercleaner whenever I update my ATI drivers - I'd suggest:

1. drivercleaner (make sure you follow his intructions - especially doing the cleaning in safe mode).

2. ATI drivers + CCC (whatever version you want to try - 5.9 work for me)

3. Re-install (via the setup file on the Civ CD) directx.

Don't forget to turn "FSAA" and "AF" OFF if you still have issues.

manually replacing the .dll ? Well some dll's need to be "regsitered" and you can't just copy/paste them. So I'm not sure that'd be a good idea. If you like experimenting try it. If you get a specific "xxxx .dll needed" and need one that works... I'll post mine for download. just make sure you post the exact name of the .dll (though I don't think this whole paragraph is necessary)

<edited for typos>

Soren Johnson said:
and is the only available workaround."

Sorry, but it's not the ONLY available workaround. But it's nice to know that may fix the issue for people. If it were the "only available workaround" what I did would not have fixed the exact same problem. I prefer to not use CAT 5.10 because of new issues... thus 5.9 works excellent here and won't be replaced til 5.11

Works for me. Ill tell u what i got.

X800 Pro 256MB
AMD Athlon 64 2800+
1 gig ram
Driver: 5.10a Catalyst Driver (the a is from a hotfix that was for the quake4 engine that gives 35% boost, prolly makes no difference but it IS the latest driver)
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=20855

make sure u fully uninstall the driver clean. maybe use 3rd party software like driver cleaner to fully uninstall it.
http://www.drivercleaner.net/download.php?site=2&file=DCProSetup_12.zip

Soren Johnson said:
Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the listing titled ‘ATI Graphics Driver’
I am using an ATI Radeon 9500 and I do not see "ATI Graphics Driver" in my add/remove programs. I see "ATI Software Unistall Utility," "ATI Catalyst Control Center," "ATI Control Panel," and "ATI Display Driver." Is "ATI Display Driver" the one to uninstall?

Nvidia gforce 2 latest drivers - don't meet the T&L but I heard thats only an in-game issue.

Soren,

I just tried your guidance, which is what we've all been trying all day (clearing drivers, reinstalling, when that failed trying older drivers). I went through and even ran DriverCleaner to clear out every single ATI related file and then reinstalled the 5.10 drivers after your post.

Unfortunately it still isn't working. I've uninstalled, cleared all files from the entire hard drive, went out and got the newest drivers possible, installed, did all the needed restarts between each step... I still get the same error.

I have the latest DirectX version, and even tried reinstalling from the DXSetup file that came with the game CD. Still nothing doing.

I appreciate you guys working on this, but you'll have to forgive my impatience... I really want to play this game! :)

-Z

Soren Johnson said:
this is what we know...

"Anyone who encounters this problem needs to do the following:

1. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the listing titled ‘ATI Graphics Driver’

2. Once uninstalled they need to download the latest version of the Windows Catalyst Driver – 5.10

Windows XP & Windows 2000:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

REBOOT
Retry launching the game

This solution has worked on every single test case and is the only available workaround."

well i don't have the ATI entry - noob when it comes to this? Can my card even work
Nvidia Gforce 2 Mx/Mx 400 64 meg RAM

Top Bottom