Support Page on Official Civ4 Site & Patch Download

I've done this procedure twice now. Now the game craps out at the same point but without an error message. Thanks, what an improvement!

I have also tried the fix twice, with the result of losing the error message "failed to initialize renderer" but game still did not launch, it just went back to the desk top. I then gave up and uninstalled the game. I then remembered reading about installing the game under a new XP user account. So immediately after unistalling the game, I created a new user account with adminstrative privilages and no passwords etc, I then logged out of my current account and into the new account and reinstalled the game (express install) in the new user account ... and lo and behold, the game runs!!! SO the question is why won't the game run under my old user account but runs fine under the new account ... a mystery I will never solve.... hope this helps some

PS. I have an ATI X800 XL with 256 Mb,
1.8 GHz P4, 1Gb, XP SP2, with all the latested drivers from ATI

I have a Radeon card manufactured by Hercules, not ATI.
It's the Radeon 64MB 3D Prophet. Is the same fix intended for me?

I created another account just like you did jjc and VIOLA! I'm in business! Thank you for the post.. you got me up and running. Someone should relay this info and get it posted in the fix doc.....

Hannabir... I think if youre not working I'd sure try it. The same chip "usually" means the same rules apply...

I don't know if the same driver applies.

Thunderfall,
I am completely disappointed in you and many of those I have read in the different Civ IV forums. There are not "several" helps on that support page...there are six. And those that are listed are so inadequate to the misery produced by this poorly released game that Sid should be ashamed of himself for putting his name on it.

I followed the entire procedure even though I have a Hercules Radeon, but to no avail.

Good news: the game runs on my newly created extra system user. :)

It still won't run on my primary user though, not even after copying the My Games folder. So for now I am restricted to single-player.

The error, apparently, is that somehow the My Documents folder of my primary user cannot be found.

That should be easy to patch, right ...?

Same here... crashing near the end of game...

Radeon 9550

Taurus

I am now also getting the "failed to initialize renderer" error. Thing is, I have a Geforce FX 5200. This problem didn't start until I used the unpak utility (thought it would make the game run better), and now it persists even after reinstalling the game, reinstalling directx, clearing the cache folder, etc.

The game has gone from barely playable to unrunnable. No big difference, but 2k's stupid work-around isn't a fix, and it isn't a patch, and it isn't a completed game, like I paid for.

I have fresh installation with winxp sp2 and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card with the latest drivers, getting crashes all the time. I´ve tried all the solutions suggested here, still problems.

As another guy wrote, when I open the city window, screen goes black and I have to reboot the computer.

Obviously, the civ4 team never intended to make this game work for ATI users, or the test team (if they have one) skipped that task.

Too bad, I suspect ATI will get alot of crap because of this, as for myself, when its time for a new graphics card, ATI is out of the question (although this is probably not their fault at all).

The creators of Civ4 no doubt did this intentionally to force die hard fans to purchase Nvidia graphic cards. EA has done this in the past to force people to buy ATI cards. Same thing happened with BF2. They will make a patch in a week imo.

When things like this happen many uninformed computer illiterates go out and buy brand new graphics cards so they can play their new game. I have filed a complaint with the better business bureau, hopefully this repeated exploitation of the gaming community will cease.

Hi
I've done everything that is on the support page for issues with ATI graphics, and the game still does't work for me. Any one here has the same problem?
I have a Radeon 9600Pro 256MB
thanks

It might've already been said, but I saw this thread and thought I'd quickly register and add my experience.

I'm running a Radeon X800XL, and the game actually seems to work fine for me. The only problem that I occassionally experience is that when starting it up, I'll get blue screens for the intro movies, and then no in-game menus will be visible. Leaving the game and re-starting always fixes this error. I've never actually had an error in-game, though (knocks on wood).

So I do know that the game works for ATI cards. It's either an issue with the game itself, or with the older ATI cards (and possibly their handling of the DX features used by civ). I'd also imagine that it's unintentional, as ATI doesn't have the most outstanding record for drivers themselves (even though I love 'em).

Game runs, but crashes later in game.
ATI PCI Expresss x 16, 128 MB card here.
700MB + RAM

I load civ 4, get blue sceen,press escape, get the world with music and the sun soforth. don't get anything else. Can anybody help me load this game.

I am having the same probelm with the end game crash/reboot. I am running a Radeon X700 256mb. I did have problems getting the game to run but followed the fix on the website. Now I have the late game crashes. If I restart the game, it crashes right away. If I clear the cache, I can play a couple more turns and then crashes.

I am getting really good at the beginning game :)

Top Bottom