Europe's first pyramid?

Che Guava

The Juicy Revolutionary
I wish they could say how old it is....!

Europe's first pyramid?

Bosnia's leading Muslim daily Dnevni Avaz writes excitedly about "a sensational discovery" of "the first European pyramid" in the central town of Visoko, just north of Sarajevo.

Excavations at a hill site above the town have been going on for several months and initial analyses "have confirmed the original claim that this is Europe's first pyramid and a monumental building, similar in dimensions to the Egyptian pyramids."

"The pyramid is 100 metres high and there is evidence that it contains rooms and a monumental causeway ... The plateau is built of stone blocks, which indicates the presence at the time of a highly developed civilisation," the daily explains.

"Archaeological excavations near the surface have uncovered a part of a wall and fragments of steps," it reveals.

"Visocica hill could not have been shaped like this by nature," geologist Nada Nukic tells the daily. "This is already far too more than we have anticipated, but we expect a lot more from further analysis," she concludes.

link

Would certainly be interesting if found to be true. The burning question would be though who influenced whom?

Dr. Yoshi said:
Would certainly be interesting if found to be true. The burning question would be though who influenced whom?

they didnt; simply enough, just because soemone invents somthing first, and soemone else invents somthign second, NEVER means that inventor A influenced inventor B- in all likelly hood, they designs arose for similer reasons, for similer functions; a very stable design for a large building to showcase the peoples dedication to thier religion.

however, similer motives, agian, dont mean they were connected.

It would be very cool indeed if this were a missing civilization. It's still cool though.

the_last_conformist said:
Oh, and I'd not take what Dnevni Avaz writes as gospel, necessarily.

Why, does he have a repuation of sorts?

Wow, they say 10000 years, i know there were illyrians there some 5-6000 years in today bosnia but 10 thousand!

That pyramid is an Illyrian pyramid and solidifies the claim that the Illyrians are the oldest people of Europe (still surviving today as the Albanians).

here are the facts

1)Pyramids do exist in europe- in the form of step pyramid style "ziggurats". the best example of this is located in Sardinia, though mainland Italy has several examples as well

2)the word "pyramid" is a misnomer- in reality, while they have the basic pyramid shape, they can really be concidered to be, with the exception fo the Sardinia temple, to be terraced hills, reinfocred by outside stone work- in the Sardinia case, it is a fully stone monument, but it should be remembered they they came from different cultures, and did not likelly influence the development of each other.

Shqype said:
That pyramid is an Illyrian pyramid and solidifies the claim that the Illyrians are the oldest people of Europe (still surviving today as the Albanians).

1)the Illyrians are not the onldest people in europe, not by a long shot

2)genetically speaking most of the population of nations like Croatia, Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Slovenia, ect are still ethnically Illyrian -recent studies seem to show that the actual "slavic" population those countires is no more then about 10%

3)it should also be known that while thesepyramids occure in the areas Italic and Illyrians people (themselves related to each other) would settle, it is not conclusove evidence that they built such monuments- indeed, if they "pyramid" is as old as is claimed, it ruled them out entirelly, leaving a people more like the Basques or Etruscans to have built it.

Check the date on the OP: this is the thread...

ahhh...I remember now! my mistake!

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble but this "pyramid" is just a big hill.

Anybody remember the Yonaguni Monuments or the Bimini Road? Same situation.

"have confirmed the original claim that this is Europe's first pyramid and a monumental building, similar in dimensions to the Egyptian pyramids."

Call me overly picky, but shouldn't they word it more like, "have confirmed the original claim that this is, to date based on all discoveries so far, Europe's first pyramid, though we certainly don't refuse to acknowledge the possibility of an older one being found someday, and a ...".

It bugs me when they word it in such absolute terms, precluding the possibility of later findings nullifying the statement.

It is NOT europe's first "Pyramid"!!!

1)the site of Montevecchia in Italy is nearlly identical accept in size, I belive to the Bosnian claim- but it certinally is in construction in that it is actually a huge, apperentlyl reinforced earthen mound with smooth sides in a pyramid style fashion rather then a true stone pyramid- interestigm to note about the Montevecchia site, is that thier are three pyramids aligned in a similer fashion, it seems, ot the Orion constellation as the Egyptian Great Pyramids are.

2)if you want a REAL ueopean pyramid, in the classic sense of a completlyl stone structure, then you must look to sardinia, at the site of Monte d'Accodi

Top Bottom