Voice chat in civ4 actually works?

Adolf

Chieftain
I'm not sure if there is build in voice chat, but there is 3 options in Advanced>Options Audio tab:
Enable Voice Chatting
Voice capture device
Voice playback device

If there is working voice chat how do you use it?

I havent used It myself, because I couldn't find the button but I read someone here who said it was control or alt.

from the readme:
* To a activate Voice over IP in multiplayer, press the [Scroll Lock] key.

I've never gotten it to work. I usually use Ventrilo or Skype to talk to my friends while playing.

I tried it also and no luck. Its possible it only works in team games?

Nope, I tried to talk to a teammate and it didn't work. I tried holding scroll lock as I talked. Hitting shift-scroll lock as I talked. Pressing scroll-lock repeatedly as I talked. Nothing worked. If I pull up sound recorder, I can record from the mic, so there's nothing wrong on the capture part.

yeah and it blocks other voice chat programs like MSN messenger :( i used to use this in civ3 to chat

You have to enable voice chat in the options-audio tab first, and set the two volume sliders there, then scroll lock(chat to team) will work, and shift +scroll lock(chat to all) or Cntl +scroll lock(chat in diplo screen).

CS

I've just tried to use the in game voice chat and it's a joke. The quality is terrible and even across a lan it's choppy, broken, and generally god-awful :-(

Steaton said:
yeah and it blocks other voice chat programs like MSN messenger :( i used to use this in civ3 to chat

I've been able to use Ventrilo and Skype in Civ IV.

acidd_uk said:
I've just tried to use the in game voice chat and it's a joke. The quality is terrible and even across a lan it's choppy, broken, and generally god-awful :-(

Which button?

Whatever I do I dont hear anything :(

if you read the included keyboard card it says Scroll Lock to talk to team mates..
shift scroll lock talks to everyone and alt scroll lock talks to whom ever is in your diplomacy screen. IIRC

CanuckSoldier said:
Cntl +scroll lock(chat in diplo screen).

Mr. Horse said:
alt scroll lock talks to whom ever is in your diplomacy screen. IIRC
So Ctrl or Alt for diplomacy screen?

MSTK said:
Just use Teamspeak or Ventrillo or Skype or another third-party program.
Yeah i know this progs also teamspeak is good, but now i trying to find out about one of this game's features, that seems to be very poor wish threy improve/fix it later, because now voip chat is JOKE.

CanuckSoldier said:
You have to enable voice chat in the options-audio tab first, and set the two volume sliders there, then scroll lock will work

Yeah, I had it enabled. Didn't adjust the sliders since they seemed fine. Pressed scroll lock. Didn't work. The guy I was playing with says he gets voice chat with UT and stuff, so I'm not sure where the problem is, but it'd be nice if they put in some way to test this. If I remember right, UT has some little utils to show if you're recording sound.

Adolf said:
So Ctrl or Alt for diplomacy screen?

Yeah i know this progs also teamspeak is good, but now i trying to find out about one of this game's features, that seems to be very poor wish threy improve/fix it later, because now voip chat is JOKE.

Well both the manual and my nice keyboard template from the SE package say it's Cntrl + Scroll lock.

CS

Top Bottom