Britannia 450 AD

Vadus

pretend the impossible
Hi all,

I present you my first Civ4 Scenario. It's very "light-weighted" for now, what means, that you get a new map (of Britain) and you can play ot with renamed nations and there correct starting-positions.
The map has a size of 100x100.

The scenario starts in the year 450 AD. At this time Britain was separated into several saxon and celtic kingdoms and the scots expanded from irland to scottland by degrees. The franks began to conquer the last roman kingdom in western europe and in scandinavia the viking civilization was born.

Playable civilizations are :

- Kindom of Mercia
- Northumbria
- Cymru (Wales)
- Pictland
- Scotia
- Hibernia (Irland)
- Saxons
- Franks
- Empire of Syagrius (rest of Rome)
- Bretons
- Vikings

With every civilization you can play the original techtree from ancient to modern times.

I'm planning to make a real medival scenario from that, but currently there aren't new corresponding units and leaderheads. But I will be glad if someone wants to help me (maybe by developing a medival tech-tree) :)

To play the scenario you have to download the file to your PublicMaps\ folder of your Civ4 install-location
Than open Civ4 and go to "Play Scenario" and select "Britain"

11-22-05 UPDATE
Now every Civ has start-cities, techs and units! It's still only one map file, but the next version (with new units , and 5 year turn increment) will contain an own mod folder.
Have fun ! :)

Attachments

• Britain.zip
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,979
.. and two pictures

Attachments

• Britannia_mini.jpg
    Britannia_mini.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 13,174
  • London.jpg
    London.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 4,957
WOW! wait a second... is this a senerio or just another map? If its just another map it should have been posted in the maps section. But still good job looks awsome

Your idea matches up the game Medieval total war:Viking Invasion

this is what i posted in the other perior mod (the ancient Medditeranian Mod thread]

userqwerty said:
So i was thinking if i should make a new thread for this and i probably will. still i think your mod would be the first mod that could benefit from this idea.

i would strongly argue that the mode of research as it is handles in Civ 4 is not aplicable to "Era" spanning mods. like yours.

A limited era project, similar to the "Greek World" mod that shipped with the game really really does not do well in terms of technology. Sure you can see something like "Nuclear Fission" somewhere in the tech tree, yet it will take a million turns to research and you only have soo much of land to conquer

The "American Revolution" mod is even worse.

You can not even access the research screen in that scenario.
It is limited to 100 turns total, and there was no drastic change in technology there.

However taking out research completely makes the replayaility of the mod virtually null

So here is my proposal

A number of technologies and appropriate buildings would need to be disigned to simulate era appropriate buildings that add incremental functionality to the cities. Similar to what medieval total war and Rome total war do with their research/building cues.

in there both are combined. which in not required for the concept to work

Technologies / Buildings

-Spearmaking (tech) Allows to build the building ("Spearmaker ) which allows to train spear troops.
-Horse domestication - allows Stables allows to train better horses suitable for warfare.

if both buildings are built you can build either spear cavalry or chariots. Chariots might require Smihy

-Axe Smith (Allows to build Axemen)

Also building upgrades would allow to use promitions creatively as they coudl be tied to a building

Build "College of Medicine" and all troops could either get the healing promotion or you could build specialized medical units. although this is for late eras. this promotion would be free and not require experience to be spent

Muster field woudl allow to train basic troops and would be a prerequisite for barracks which allow to build better troops and would be a prerequisiste for royal barracks.

Here is the techtree from that game

http://russiananimation.com/mods

the file is named MTW_VI_viking_tech_tree.rar

this is just to get you thinking

that game starts in 730 ad or so with the invasion of the vikings.

Since the saxons did thier dirty deeds with similar technology i doubt much of this woudl be different

as i explained above medieval total war does nto spearate technology from building and this allows us some flixibility.

Ghost said:
WOW! wait a second... is this a senerio or just another map? If its just another map it should have been posted in the maps section. But still good job looks awsome

Well, it's a map, which you play with a given historical background ( starting-year, historical nations).
I would say it's a scenario :cool:

@userqwerty : Nice idea ! I hope it's not to difficult to realize dependencies between Units and buildings, because such a thing would be much better than every city can build everything. Especially in a mediavel scen !! :goodjob:

Thanks for the tech-tree :)

Hey Vadus,

The map looks really good. But I'd like to give one advice: it would be accurate to remove the Dutch province Flevoland, since it was sea until the mid-20th century.

The red part in this picture should be sea in your map ;)

Great map!

I´ve played into the late industrial age as the Saxons and so far done quite well.
A few things I´ve encountered:

- The map is huge, it will take you to the age of Riflemen until all settling space is covered. Maybe you want to add some minor civs or prebuilt Barbarian towns?
- The Viking´s adjective in your scenario is "vinking"... obviously a typo
- The Frankish capital in your scen is called "Colonge", but should be Köln or Colonia (or Cologne for the sake of ignorant Englishmen :p )
- The Vikings aren´t doing anything. This is related to missing AI scripts, so you probably need to gift them a few holdings on the British Isles for them to start attacking
- the Timeline needs to be sped up if you don´t have all-medieval techs. It´s strange having railroads in 700ad...
- Saxon town of Bremen was situated on the coast until the late renaissance; Could you perhaps turn parts of the Weser river mouth into coast tiles?
- The Saxons start with a worker but cannot do anything with it. So it´s pretty useless except for scouting; Not sure how to improve this, though...

I have greatly enjoyed playing this, but would advise to play Mercia as mainland civs are pretty boring for the first 100 turns...

Could you please post a map only file as well? Thanks!

This looks great! I will DL this as soon as I get Civ 4... in a week... hopefully...

Off topic:
Vadus, are you going to be doing a Space Empires for Civ 4?

Vadus said:
oh, really ? ok, thanks :goodjob:

I now see some other minor topographic inaccuracies. I do like your map, I'm just a perfectionist : You might want to add the Scilly Islands southwest of Cornwall, and Helgoland in the German Bight. Tiny islands, but they might be of strategic importance :)

When I'm back at my own computer later this evening, I'll give the scenario a try :)

Junuxx said:
I now see some other minor topographic inaccuracies. I do like your map, I'm just a perfectionist : You might want to add the Scilly Islands southwest of Cornwall, and Helgoland in the German Bight. Tiny islands, but they might be of strategic importance :)

I put the Scilly Islands on the list ;) Helgoland is already there. It's the one tiled island in the east of german-northwestcoast. Maybe it should be a point more left and higher ?
I will release only a map file from this scen (without nations) this evening , which everyone can use to create an own scenario , for example "Operation Seelöwe" or a William the Conqueror Scen.

I will expand my Britannia Scen with some more starting cities and starting techs for each nation and some minor civ's like the Angles and Jutes..

Quinzy said:
i think your missing strangford loch in northern ireland
oh, is this an important lake ? .. because it's located to near at the sea, so that it's not possible to place it on its correct postion :sad:

well it IS one of N.I's important harbours but if it cant be done then leave it out

Great map - I wont play it as it is now, but it surely is a great basis for a full scale mod!

Micha said:
Great map!

I- The Frankish capital in your scen is called "Colonge", but should be Köln or Colonia (or Cologne for the sake of ignorant Englishmen :p )

Shouldn't it be Aachen anyway?

Aachen was the capital of the Carolingians. The capital of the Merowingians should be either Colonia or Trier ( Ripuarian Franks ) or Tournai ( Salian Franks ) I guess

Scenario : I'm currently working on a correct start-situation with correct cities and start-techs ;) . I hope this will be done tomorrow ... )

I wont play it as it is now
tell me what you don't like

500AD is just about the time where the city name switched from Colonia Agrippina to Cologne due to the Frankish invasion. So for the Franks Cologne would be right IMO.

Very nice map indeed - there is a lot of potential for full scenarios indeed. Hope to see this one develop into a full early medieval mod ;).

Vadus said:
tell me what you don't like

There's nothing about the map itself as far as I can tell (I didn't play it, but it looks excellent), but I think it requires a complete mod à la TAM for me to feel right.

Top Bottom