Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - General Discussions

Notices

Civ4 - General Discussions Forum for general Civilization IV discussions including Warlords and Beyond the Sword (BTS) expansions.

Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:00 AM   #1
Mrdie
Lavdi!

Most useless wonder in Civ IV?

I would poll this. But I don't know all the wonders and I assume that there are a lot more then twenty.

Mine is undecided, I just know that the UN is a pain in the ass when I am not in charge.
Mrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Dida
YHWH

Most useless wonder must be the Internet.
Dida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:08 AM   #3
MrCynical
Deity

I'd put in another vote for the internet. It's far too late in the game to get you anything.
MrCynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Morten Blaabjerg
Settler

Sorry for threadjacking a bit - any ideas on how to make the internet a significant wonder? It should be late in the game, IMO, but how could it be powered up?
Morten Blaabjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:17 AM   #5
MrCynical
Deity

Maybe make the internet give a substantial bonus to science in that city, or maybe just a free tech?
MrCynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:21 AM   #6
Vosje
Chieftain

First thing that sprang to mind as I read the title of this thread was indeed The Internet. It's just seems that useless that late in the game to get. A very watered down Great Library from the previous Civ games (I think).

One use I've heard for it before was from the start, you beeline straight to this wonder with your research so you learn all the other ones you passed on the way from other civs after you build it. But I think this severely gimps your economy and haven't bothered to try that out.
Vosje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:24 AM   #7
trotskylite
Warlord

the internet should have been some sort of commerce bonus
trotskylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:25 AM   #8
Psyringe
Scout

I agree that the internet is the most useless wonder.

When I can build it, I'm usually busy building spaceship parts. There's no reason to stop building those in order to build a wonder that gives you techs which you could research in a few turns anyway.
Psyringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:31 AM   #9
tcjsavannah
Wow, it's been a while...

Face it guys, the internet is only in for the Al Gore joke. Gameplay wise, it's more than useless.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:36 AM   #10
Runriot
Chieftain

MOst useless wonder is the Ironworks as is, its broke, and adds absolutely nothing dispite what the 'peadia says about it.

Come on patch!
Runriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:40 AM   #11
Doc Tsiolkovski
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runriot
MOst useless wonder is the Ironworks as is, its broke, and adds absolutely nothing dispite what the 'peadia says about it.

Come on patch!
Not quite. It does add the unhealthy faces, and it does allow for 3 Engineers...

Doc Tsiolkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:47 AM   #12
Soryn Arkayn
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runriot

Come on patch!
Is the Ironworks really broken? I didn't know this.

Although I kinda figured there was something wrong with it because when I built it the city didn't acquire as much boost in production as it should've.

I think I should point out that The Internet is actually a Project, NOT a Wonder. Regardless, I definitely agree overall that The Internet is the most useless "Wonder" because it comes too late in the game to benefit you with two free techs. The only reason any player would build it is if they were lagging behind other Civs in the tech race and tried to use it to catch up. But the problem is that in the time it takes to finish it chances are that you'd finish the tech tree anyway.
Soryn Arkayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:49 AM   #13
Dida
YHWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjsavannah
Face it guys, the internet is only in for the Al Gore joke. Gameplay wise, it's more than useless.
Does it double the production in the city?
Dida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:03 PM   #14
atog
Chieftain

Internet is far from useless when used right.

If people are playing in the lower levels. um.... yea you have the lead and you even researched everything before you advance in era.

but notice this: (correct me if this is wrong) Civ 4 's tech tree is the first to introduce "OR" prerequisite!!

This mean you can be really advance down 1 path and have nothing in other. like i can go religion all the way without even ironworking! While i found it funny the pathing was more diverse in early era than in modern era (late game, there are only 2 (or 3) paths. everything choke at scientific method and the other stuffs are flights and plastic.

but anyway, these "OR" prerequiste enables you to make short cuts to certain techs. Internet is really good if you are losing tech and you can short cut to it and catch up.

Internet might not be useful for everygame, and i'd probably will still vote it for the most useless as compare to other wonders. but it's quite essential in certain situations.

i think besides the ironwork being broken, the second most useless would be the Forbidden palace and the V-something (that french thing that does the same thing) i hardly notice the reduction and the forbidden palace is particularly worse since it requires 6 courthouse to build.... lol
atog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:05 PM   #15
nfwlpw
Chieftain

I think the Internet should spread your culture, even to civs that aren't next to you.
nfwlpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:43 PM   #16
Dracleath
Warlord

Space Elevator? Because by the time I build it I usually have the spaceship launched anyway.
Dracleath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:46 PM   #17
atog
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfwlpw
I think the Internet should spread your culture, even to civs that aren't next to you.
that's so not internet. sorry , please dont take this personally. but the real internet has some form of its own culture really independent of locations. for the forum alone, you see people all over the world typing acronyms like "imo" "btw" LOL
atog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:58 PM   #18
King

Great Library and Internet.

Great Library gives you one free tech and was that it? Great.

Interent, like above it comes too late at the game so it's not maybe the best idea to put efforts on internet. Especially if you have something more important to build 'cos net just isn't

Death: "You lived what anybody gets, Bernie. - You got a lifetime. - No more. - No less. - You got a lifetime."
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:02 PM   #19
UnitQ
#1 Unit

The pyromids, YES i said it and whay!! i don't like its consept it seams like cheating to me. I never make it and always try to distroy it when it is made. I wish thay could make the pyromids do something else like give a free religous tech or something.
UnitQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:11 PM   #20
Tiger_Nation
Warlord

I've built the UN and that is really starting to annoy me
Tiger_Nation is offline   Reply With Quote