STOP! What are you doing?

rwmjlally

Chieftain
You are letting Take 2/Firaxis get away with murder.

You all are desperately trying to tweak BIOSes, reconfigure windows, mess with video cards etc etc in the hope of finding a combination that can run this technically appalling game.

You should not be doing any of this! You should be giving Take 2/Firaxis hell for giving you garbage in exchange for your money.

There is no-one in the world who wants to play Civ 4 more than me, but I will not have rubbish like Civ 4 on my computer.

I might buy Civ 5 if it is released by a half-decent company (Sierra perhaps), but I won't be buying any more rubbish from Take 2/Firaxis.

bla bla, it works fine for me. I love this game.
Moderator Action: Not very constructive.

And please reduce the length of your signature - you're allowed 5 lines maximum (including blank lines).

lifeaquatic said:
bla bla, it works fine for me. I love this game.
Bla bla, it doesn't work fine for most people. We don't care about you.Moderator Action: Even less constructive.

I'm debating whether or not to take this terrible thing back to the store I bought it from. I bought extra memory and a new video card with T&L, downloaded the latest drivers (no small task on a dial up connection) and I'm worse off than when I started. I could at least play the game then. The terrain was all black until I zoomed way out, but at least I could play. Now, I can't even install the stupid thing. It freezes up every time I try.

On a side note, why are so many of you so desperate to make excuses for this crappy product? I don't care if it works for you. As you can read, it doesn't for an unacceptably high number of people who have what the company says we need to run the game. There's no excuse for the huge number of bugs, nor the pathetic customer support we've been given. (I sat on the phone listening to the recording telling me how important my call was every thirteen seconds only to be hung up on after fifteen minutes without even getting through to a live person.) This is completely outrageous. I don't care if you think I've got a crappy computer. If this game needs 2 gigs of memory to run, they should have said so on the box. If you need to be an a computer expert to be able to set up the damn thing, there should have been a warning on the box to dissuade the majority of us from buying it.

Rwmjlally -

I can understand just how frustrating that it is for those people, I myself had issues, in not being able to get this game running successfully. I think that the feature set of this game, as well as the coding that is used for modders to change aspects of gameplay, make it potentially one of the best TBS games on the market.

But its demands in hardware and system configuration has given people a massive problem from the start. That doesn't mean that a patch or two can't improve the situation, hopefully soon, but for me I have had to invest a phenominal amount of time in getting this game to run with a degree of stability that has made it playable.

I would like to think that I have hopefully resolved all of my CTD's and random reboots with the hardware changes that I have made - I thought that I had done this before but my last change of replacing my Corsair memory with the two Crucial Balistix sticks do seem to have stopped my last problem of CTD's.

If you want to post back with details about your system sometime I am sure that you will get some help, or you might want to wait for a patch to help you.

Either way good luck :)

I think I hate Sid Meier..... No, wait a sec... nah, he's too cute and sexy and sells beta versions to people... good night...

I would like someone to list the reasons I should, after spending $45, now have to do the job of the people who program the game. If they want to pay me to figure out a fix, I will, but I paid them and I expect THEM to figure it out, otherwise, game goes back.

I'm a little bit frustrated too. I bought 512 additionnal ram because I thought it would make the game run, but no it didn't. I can play games like Farcry, Swat 4 or even Earth 2160 but a game like Civilization 4? No. This sounds a little bit illogical to me. I still have faith in the company to release a patch that will make the game work, but if it doesn't change anything, I'll simply return it to the seller and hope to get my money back. I changed my drivers, but I'm not confident enough to play with the settings and stuff. And seriously, I'm not even supposed to be playing with the settings, this game is supposed to work, period.

Firaxis should take a hint form Valve...HL2 came with a video/sound diagnostic and optimizing thing that automatically set up my machine to run HL2 without a hitch. I agree that for the money the game should work better.

Tried trading it in today at EB...i threw in the towel. Then i found out starting about a month ago they didnt except PC trade ins anymore. Wonderful, this game really is a piece of a trash now. Honestly, CIV4 is probably the biggest waste of money i can remmber in some time that ive run into. I hate say it, but at this point a patch would be nice...but it wouldnt matter in the end. Its been too long now anyway. Itll still be a long time before i ever buy a game from you again.

most people tend to forget about the woes of games release once its fixed and they can play it. Civ 4 is a great game and I'm sure Firaxis is working hard on getting a patch out.

Speaking of sucky releases you should visit the mmorpg pc market... talk about buggy releases. :)

It's kinda hard to stay with Firaxis... I mean Civ4 was a birthday present from my parents. I thought it would work on my computer. I hoped it would work. I did read about all the bugs and so but, you know, I thought, like any other: "This won't happen to me." I hurried to install it, but then... black terrain! My tears just blasted out of my eyes...

TheScarletFox just got the game a few days ago, and it worked out fine for him. He asked me if I wanted to PBEM (play by e-mail), and I told him about the problem, having this... strange feeling. You know, like when a girl leaves you and you're telling the story to another guy about how she left you...

:(

DreamTheaterSFG said:
Tried trading it in today at EB...i threw in the towel. Then i found out starting about a month ago they didnt except PC trade ins anymore. Wonderful, this game really is a piece of a trash now. Honestly, CIV4 is probably the biggest waste of money i can remmber in some time that ive run into. I hate say it, but at this point a patch would be nice...but it wouldnt matter in the end. Its been too long now anyway. Itll still be a long time before i ever buy a game from you again.

Well if stores won't accept the returns, and Fireaxis won't accept returns and refunds, there are things called CLASS ACTION SUITS. That would put a hurting on the developers. There isn't a jury in the land that would rule against the purchasing public in a case like this.

Of course, it would help matters considerably if the developers would actually respond and let us know they are working on a fix and what they are trying to fix. I'm not as concerned about WHEN a fix is coming. I want to know IF a fix is coming.

kublai khan said:
I'm debating whether or not to take this terrible thing back to the store I bought it from. I bought extra memory and a new video card with T&L, downloaded the latest drivers (no small task on a dial up connection) and I'm worse off than when I started. I could at least play the game then. The terrain was all black until I zoomed way out, but at least I could play. Now, I can't even install the stupid thing. It freezes up every time I try.

On a side note, why are so many of you so desperate to make excuses for this crappy product? I don't care if it works for you. As you can read, it doesn't for an unacceptably high number of people who have what the company says we need to run the game. There's no excuse for the huge number of bugs, nor the pathetic customer support we've been given. (I sat on the phone listening to the recording telling me how important my call was every thirteen seconds only to be hung up on after fifteen minutes without even getting through to a live person.) This is completely outrageous. I don't care if you think I've got a crappy computer. If this game needs 2 gigs of memory to run, they should have said so on the box. If you need to be an a computer expert to be able to set up the damn thing, there should have been a warning on the box to dissuade the majority of us from buying it.

This totally stinks... I tried to return my version to Best Buy and they said according to federal law they cannot give me my money back, only another copy of the game. I DONT need another copy of the game, because all the games are the same. I am very angry at Firaxis and Take 2 for this... Im stuck with a game that should work on my comp, and i just lost 50$.

Well it's not a total loss... it will eventually work, just sucks right now. I feel your pain, I spent the whole last week trying to get it to work on my girlfriends comp, finally figured it out (shader effects) but stuff like this should be worked out before release. Soon enough there will be a patch though and hopefully it fixes most of these woes.

Yeah, I'm pissed off too. I mean, look at ALL the people posting here. How many are having technical problems? I don't know, but it looks like there are HUNDREDS on this BBS alone. I've now waste 6 hours of my life trying to get a product to work that should work, basically, out of the box.

Do NOT buy new hardware for this game. There is no way you need 1GB of Ram to run this thing - there is something wrong with the game itself.

Top Bottom