Dune Mod

lexdex

Chieftain
i hate to make an other thread that is simply about an idea i have but am unable to create but i think a Dune mod would go really great with Civ 4

I have lots of ideas but in general this game could give a really nice gameplay with dune and it could follow the book(s) really closely

you (moders) could really make this on alot of levels you could just be simple and make a dune map with units like sandworms, basic atreides and harkonen infantry, then imperial sardaukers, standard infantry and laz gun infantry, ornithopters, and a few fremen types.
or you could make new religions like Budislamics or whatever the reverand mothers are, you could make buildings dealing with the books like fountains which would add happiness or something, moisture collectors which could add food (isn't food but more the idea that they support a population) and then new resources like moisture, sandtrout, or obviously spice melange.

The factions would be the Harkonen, Atreides, Fremen, Imperials, Maybe even the guild or rebels / raiders like what the atreides disentigrated into.

i have alot of ideas but overall i just think this is a great mod basis and although i hate to waste more thread space with an idea that more then likely won't fly i hope someone takes up the task

Yep, Dune rules and a mod would be cool :)

There are many people who only know the computer games though, and they will definitely want an Ordos civ.

I think sand should be impassable for most units, by the way.
Refineries could be based on the 'crawler' units (posted somewhere on this boards)

I was actually thinking about making a Dune mod for a little while. I even made a map for it with YAME. It was pretty easy to do since its essentially just desert and desert hills.

I might actually make the scenario some time, but not seriously for a while. I actually have a notebook filled with ideas I came up with.

I tried making a Dune mod for Civ2 a long time ago. I had the map and the terrain graphics done and some techs like 'Sabular Dynamics' and 'Spice Refining'. :crazyeye:

the only hard part would be making the new units but the mod could go into depth and get more complicated as it got more accurate and i really have no expertise i just think it would work really well be alot of fun

I know this is a dead thread, but if anyone is still interested in this, please private message me.

The spice must flow

(I'm in)

As I said earlier, I made a map while ago of the North Polar Region of Dune. It includes where almost all of the events of the first book (except for the stuff that happens in the, well, South Polar Region). If anyone wants it I can put it up.

Yes please!

It'll be a great place to start testing everything, and probably highest interest for fellow fans.

I'm not saying we have to restrict the mod to Arrakis, because I've always wanted to fight on Caladan, Giedi Prime, etc.

I've never read the prequels, and I'm most enthusiastic about books 1-4 (Dune to God Emperor of Dune). And while I've played most of the Dune computer games, I don't see any specific reason to clone parts of them. If the mod progresses really well, other fans can go ahead and add on whatever they want.

I think technology can start anywhere from pre-Dune (space flight / 2006 era) and go up to GEoD tech.

There's some good threads about a Dune mod in the Civ III mod section, I tried PM/emailing authors about their ideas;
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=121203&highlight=dune
and http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=109112&highlight=dune

-e

I think the scenario would do best as kind of limited 'fight for dune' situation, just on the planet Arrakis. I have a bunch of ideas written down about it, but I don't really have the time to put them all up here right now.

Thanks Gunnar for the prompt reply and the map! I'm going to fool around with more total conversion ideas, but there definately have to be some scenarios; I mean, who doesn't want to replay the invasion/Shield Wall battle?

I also think that the ideal period for the mod would be from Dune to Children of Dune, and only on Arrakis (however, a clever guy could think of a ingenious ways to integrate off-planet elements such as CHOAM and the Space Guild). North Pole map is perfect for that.

Following books could be considered but I think it should come after the first versions.

[A 2006toDune scenario would be far too big! Dune is occuring in +/- 10000.. And I'm not sure if it's the Christian Era ;)]

About the other computer games, I've only played Dune (Cryo) and Dune 2 (Westwood) back in time, but I didn't like what I saw of the more recents (Robots and Mechs on Dune ? Come on!). The books are rich enough I think. :)

If someone take the lead and put a team together, please contact me. I'll be more than happy to participate.

I think your're right. It might be doable, but years would have to fly by (100/turn?) until the time we're interested in. We can set it between any reasonable prehistory time and the end of Paul's reign.

I have to agree that basing the timeline from Dune to Children of Dune would be best starting out. But if you were going to go all the way to God Emporer, then maybe there could be some wonder that is equivalent to transforming into the God Emporer, but now not only Leto will have the chance. >:) But there definetly will need to be some scenarios from the second triligy (God Emporeur of Dune, Heretics of Dune, blanking but I think there was a sixth book or did Leto die in Heretics.. may have to dig the books out of storage), I would love to play the last battle were leto is dropped into the river and the sandworms, the great Shaitan, is reborn to the desert world. And how about a 'what if' scenario that takes place after the duncan ghoula and crew take the sand worm and bail form the Know Universe. Could have the evolved face dancers come back and invade the know Universe. Special units could be the Bene Geserits and the evolved geserits(forgetting if they had a special name in the books).. but now I'm just starting to ramble..

Back to makeing the mod..

Don't forget the IX, they are the major developers of technology, ie machines. And the Tethlexu(sp?), gotta have Face Dancer units(maybe with spy abilities). Mentats would be cool, could use them as Great Scientists.

As for Factions.
Obviously, Atraties and Harkonen.
I think adding the Ordos in from the games would be alright, not sure if they are ever mentioned in any of the post-Dune books, but there are hundreds of houses and it might be cool to even make up a few new ones.
The Emporor should also be a faction though some how they should be limited to what type of units they can build.
Fremen should also be a playable faction, but should have their units restricted to only fremen units. Maybe give them a small branch on the tech tree that only they can learn.
I don't think CHOAM or the Spacing Guild should be included as playable factions. However, with a little work TheLopez's Mercenaries Mod could be changed to look like you are buying units from CHOAM, would just have to change the screen names and the alert messages. Just an idea.

As for units, as a player I would love to see the sonic units from the first Dune game(Cryon) wich were infantry. And even maybe the sonic tanks from Dune 2.

Just some ideas, I've always loved dune and hope this mod can come to something. :)

@epu
Since it seems you are takeing over this project, have you started a new thread? If so could you link it here, please. And props on bringing this back to life :>

Jeckel > Sixth book : Chapterhouse ;)

Here a bunch of people who could make it as Civ in a "Only Arrakis Dune Mod"

- House Atreides
- House Harkonnen
- House Corrino (Perhaps ?)
- Fremen (probably 2 to 5 Fremen Civs)
- Spice Smugglers
- Bene Tleilax
- Some Minor House ? Ordos could appear here, a little wink to Dune 2.

The Space Guild and Bene Gesserit (IMO) shouldn't be full civ. Neither would try to take over Dune by themself. They are more political. Perhaps the answer lie in Python like Jeckel suggested. ;) Such "python" organisations could make Dune a very unique MOD I think.

@Supa
Chapterhouse!! Ahh, bless you :> I've been meaning read them again, but have to finish the Chung Koa book I'm reading. Thanx :D

Top Bottom