Dune Mod

I'd like to help to. Dune is my favorite book.
I'm a good coder but I know little to nothing about XML and Python, but I'm willing to help with coding or with ideas.

Today I'm going to work on some preliminary Civs:
Atreides
Harkonnen
Corrino
and a few Fremen tribes

I'm also looking into some of the religion mods and trying to see which ones can be changed to suit the different Dune religions: Shai Hu'lud, Orange Catholic, Buddislam, etc.

Sweet. Thanks, fans for your enthusiastic support!

VinnoSMC, there's probably plenty of cpp hooks we need in the SDK if it gets to that, and I think you'll find python pretty straight forward to use and learn.

Let's plan to release modifications under the Creative Commons license here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

It says a few things I think we can agree on:
we'll attribute everything to the authors who made them, we won't sell anything, and other people can hack on whatever mod we make.

I'm looking through the tech tree to list some inventions, units, and wonders.

Sounds good to me too. I started reading up on Python and XML last night and they seem pretty quick to pick up if you have knowledge of C++/Java and HTML. So I'm psyched.

I was running through some ideas last night for things like UUs that would allow us to bring Fedaykin and Sardaukar into the game play. But I ran into a wall thinking of how to incorporate (unnecessary) aspects like CHOAM, the Lansraad (U.N.?) and the Bene Gesserit into Civ.

Also, should names of cities in the mod be the names of Planets mentioned in the books, and if so which Civs should get which planets?

If you guys have AIM or email feel free to contact me.

AIM: VinnoSMC
E-Mail: vmannering@gmail.com

Peace,
- Vinny

A Dune MOD without the CHOAM or the Bene Gesserit wouldn't be a real Dune mod, rather a make-believe. ;)

The CHOAM should be integrated with Python.

A rought draft : Player A uses his Harverster units (or his Harverster citizens) to "mine" spice. He gets 20 amounts of Spice in his treasure. He decides to sell them immediatly to the CHOAM (Spice treasure of the CHOAM:0). Spice is very rare and CHOAM gives Player A the full price for it (100 Solaris for each amount of spice). Now, the CHOAM has 20 spice units in its treasure. Player B has harvested 20 amounts of spice too. He decides to sell them. CHOAM has already 20 spice, so the price is only half. Player B get 50 Solaris for each spice amount. Over time, the CHOAM will sell and use the spice and its treasure will get back to 0.

It is the way that Spice Commerce is done in the Dune CCG game. I think it could be a very good way to integrate it in Civ-4. It adds a new commercial and policital layer to the game.

CHOAM could also sell weaponry, units and whatever to players.

I think Lansraad is less important than CHOAM but it could be added like the UN-like council of Alpha Centauri.

Also, should names of cities in the mod be the names of Planets mentioned in the books, and if so which Civs should get which planets?

Dune (Cryo) has a lot of Sietch names for the Fremen. Kaminaree already compiled a list for one of the Civ3 Dune mod attempt.
House Harkonnen could already have Carthag.
House Corrino could have Arrakeen.

Still active, thanks!

I'm in the middle of a move to Chicago, so please bear with my slow replies. I'll be completely unable to respond May 13->22.

Gunner has contributed a map of northern Dune (aka the fun part of Arrakis).
Other users have also voiced support and brainstormed ideas.

I'm trying to drum up enthusiasm. I pulled the latest dll source, chose a creative common license for distribution (to cover any grey area not made explicit under the civilization IV mod terms). I've put together an NSIS installer/uninstaller, and am monkeying with tech tree. I'm in the middle of re-reading Dune (~ page 50) and listing out things. I think I can speed this up by finding a fan with the Dune Encyclopedia?

I think I need to put together
1. a way to contribute changes to the mod source (svn/perforce/darcs repo)
Currently I have everything in darcs, there's a tool to move to whatever we finally decide.
2. a way to communicate together (irc/instant messenger ids)
3. a list of goals, features, ideas. Can we use the civilization wiki to keep project notes together?

-e

>2. a way to communicate together (irc/instant messenger ids)
I'm contactable at ICQ, MSN and Y!Messenger. (Trillian helps ;))
>3. a list of goals, features, ideas. Can we use the civilization wiki to keep project notes together?
I highly doubt it. Why don't we use a public thread in CFC ?

I'm in the middle of re-reading Dune (~ page 50)

I'm in the middle of Messiah myself ;) This one is boring.

GarretSidzaka, I think the first goal should be to create an Arrakis scenario, but I don't think we should make design decisions that exclude playing on another world.

SPOILERS

IIRC, the end of the Dune books seem to imply that the Sand Trout and the worm cycle of life are scattered throughout the duniverse? It might be fun to wormify / spice-ify a non-desert world and watch it become desert-like.

I'm currently re-reading the whole thing, going on page 12 of Dune Messiah. ;)

I've got alot of ideas, regardless of you accepting them or not here is my input:

Economy

- Water
- Spice
- ?

I don't know if the economy part has been decided (no indication on the thread so far) but I think that apart from the logical resource (spice) perhaps there could be (at least), Water. Since I'm not aware of any other possibility, both resources would have to be in fixed locations, spice perhaps shown has a slightly red dust over the terrain and water being represented as a windtrap facility (seeing has there is no surface water on Arrakis).

edit: about the windtrap, remember that oldie Dune 2? A good concept image for the windtrap would be this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Duneii-wind-trap.jpg
/end edit

Supa´s post outlines a great model using spice exchange for money and units

Setting

It seems there is a consensus about using solely Arrakis. Perhaps later on there could be made other maps using the same mod but on different locations.

Factions/Civs

- House Atreides
- House Harkonnen
- House Corrino (defacto Emperor)
- Fremen (various tribes/sietchs or single?)
- House of Ix (?)
- Bene Tleilax/Tleilaxu (would function better as the CHOAM)
- Smugglers

Turns/Period

I think the game should start at 10,191 AG (when Dune begins)

Wiki

If indeed you want to use a Wiki there are many free wiki sites which provide that kind of service. Setting it up is fairly easy and if you want to just drop me a line

Contact

by msn: wyrmtailathotmail.com
by mail: breamelatgmail.com

I've got alot of ideas for techs and religion/ideology but i'm not sure if your guys are past that or you still want me as team member or just brainstorming.

Also, the Dune Encyclopedia is freely available here: http://www.thedune.ru/duneenc/download/DUNE_ENCYCLOPEDIA.pdf
It seems it is out of print due to a copyright issue and it's reprint is forbidden but not public acess to it.

Cheers and sorry for the long post ;)

Has anyone submitted government types/civics yet?

Economy

Water is good, but how could it be integrate ? Windtrap and others buildings (Polar Cap facility) could produce X units of Water per turn. The city (or the whole civilization) could use Y units of Water per turn or start to have problems. Well, like this, it's like food but with building and not citizen ? To keep things clear, perhaps we should use only water and forget about food ?

Spice shouldn't be an inexhaustible resource. I was thinking perhaps it couldn't be used like others resource (in your territory + road) but like this : In your territory or in neutral territory + having a harvester-type unit on it.
Depending of the "harvesting strenght" of the unit and the density of the spice field, the income would change.

The third economy power should be the solaris. Here, it would work like the classic civ money. Produced by citizen, used for tech, etc.

Factions/Civs

- Various fremen tribes. One tribe alone would be too powerful (too much territory)

Team Communication

I don't think a Wiki would be great for an unfinished project. If one thread isn't enough, we should use a private forum.

And thanks for the encyclopedia =)

Economy

Well, perhaps there could be a specific terrain tile where windtraps can be built and (for balance sake) every starting location for every faction has a certain number of tiles, enabling the city to grow. Having that the players would be forced to explore the map looking for suitable places to expand.

Supa said:
Spice shouldn't be an inexhaustible resource. I was thinking perhaps it couldn't be used like others resource (in your territory + road) but like this : In your territory or in neutral territory + having a harvester-type unit on it.
Depending of the "harvesting strenght" of the unit and the density of the spice field, the income would change.

That sounds good but is it feasible from a coding/python/xml point?

Supa said:
The third economy power should be the solaris. Here, it would work like the classic civ money. Produced by citizen, used for tech, etc.

Sounds good.

Factions/Civs

Supa said:
- Various fremen tribes. One tribe alone would be too powerful (too much territory)

Agreed. I thought the same too and also there could be fremen tribes not affiliated to Muad'dib and agressive towards him.

Team Communication

Supa said:
I don't think a Wiki would be great for an unfinished project. If one thread isn't enough, we should use a private forum.

Agreed.

Supa said:
And thanks for the encyclopedia =)

No problem. :) Please note that Frank Herbert himself said that the Encyclopaedia isn't 100% acurate because it is written from a Imperial point of view and some data is inacurate or plain wrong.

epu said:
GarretSidzaka, I think the first goal should be to create an Arrakis scenario, but I don't think we should make design decisions that exclude playing on another world...

I agree with you, on afterthought. But I'm very interested in the desert planet part of the scenario, and would like to share my xml and basic skinning skills.

If we start it in 10,191 are we going to follow the story and have the harkonnens already set to attack atredies?

I don't know. Perhaps some opposed civics would be best.
I think it would be best to not follow the books and take an alternate path : There isn't one House designed by the Emperor to occupy Arrakis but multiple Houses. As long as the Spice keep flowing, the Emperor wouldn't mind wars and treasons between the Houses.

Following that idea, we could (python ?) add a new importance for the Spice (in addition of the CHOAM), the Spice Tribute : Every X turns, every House civ must give X spices to the Emperor. Fremen and Smugglers would be excluded from this obligation. Feedback ?

Top Bottom