World 2000BC

Genghis_Kai

GEM modder
Revision 1.2 is out (see update log).

World 2000BC - The first cities.

Intro:
The fertile river valleys of the Nile, Tigris, Eupharates, Indus, and Yellow River were able to support very large populations, and it was here that the great urban civilizations of the ancient world emerged. Although cities developed independently in several regions, they shared certain characteristics. Urban societies were hierarchical, with complex labour divisions. They were administered, economically and spiritually, by an elite literate class, and in some cases, were subject to a divine monarch. Monuments came to symbolize and represent the powers of the ruling elite. Elsewhere, farming communities came together to create ritual centres or burial sites, while craftsmen experimented with new materials and techniques, such as copper and bronze casting, and glazed pottery. All these developments indicate that urban and non-urban societies were attaining a high degree of social organization.

Game info:
There are 5 civilizations in this scenario.

Egyptian Kingdom (Egypt) - 3 cities
Harappa Kingdom (India) - 3 cities
Xia Dynasty (China) - 2 cities
Akkadian Dynasty (Sumer) - 5 cities
Minoan Kingdom (Greece) - 1 city

And many barbarian cities (Raging barbarians!).

Update log:
v1.2: Correct leader names. Change Mycenaean to Minoan for Greece making it only has one city left. Changed some barbarians to use correct local units, such as Jaguar for N. America, Quechua for S. America and Skirmisher for Africa. Changed colours for civilzations.

v1.1: Fixed some bugs and have made some game balance.

Map:
This scenario is based on a modified version of Rhye's world map (huge).

Historical References:
Andrew Heritage (Editor in chief) 1999. "Atlas of World History", Dorling Kindersley Cartography.
Tan Qixiang (Chief Editor) 1982. "Historical Atlas of China", China Cartographic Publishing House. [Chinese]
Wikipedia

Game Editor used to build this scenario:
In game World Builder
Civ4Editor by kswoll

To play (for newbies):
No mods have been used in this scenario. So to play it, simply download the zip file, unzip it and place the file in "Civ4\Public Maps" folder. Start the game, you should be able to see "World 2000BC - The first cities v1.2" in the scenario game menu.

Attachments

• World_2000BC_The_first_cities_v1.2.zip
    45.7 KB · Views: 8,076
  • World_2000BC_The_first_cities_1_2a.JPG
    World_2000BC_The_first_cities_1_2a.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 4,870
  • World_2000BC_The_first_cities_1_2b.JPG
    World_2000BC_The_first_cities_1_2b.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 3,147
Just a thought, if its going to use a world map, then it should have more civs.

AlCosta15 said:
Just a thought, if its going to use a world map, then it should have more civs.

Hi, thanks for your comment.

My original idea was to build a series of scenerio using the same world map. So next are 1000BC, 500BC, 1AD etc ... That was the reason for using such a large map for a 2000BC scenerio.

On the hand, I am more interested in making historically correct scenerio, so I don't want to have my Egyptian kingdom fighting with Spanish or Arabian :lol:

elmoro said:
What map size is this scenario?

Huge size.

The map is basically the same as the world map came with the game macroscopically. I modified the map in certain areas, such as shifting Spain one tile down for a bigger france, Japan one tile east, more resources in central asia etc.

Seems like there's a lot of wasted space. Among other things, it'd be centuries before the Xia actually encountered anyone else.
You could at least add Kush (modern Ethiopia). Just use the leader from the Mali civ.

I encountered the Xia quite quickly.

I was Asoka, had to deal with a lot of barbs from NW though.

Hate to say that, but I'm afraid your Scenario is a little bit inaccurate. As an example, Cyrus was'nt the ruler of Sumeria, instead you should put Sargon of Akkad, Gilgamesh, Gudea or even Etana. I would also suggest that you re-think the placement of the cities of some civilizations. I like your 'Project', as I enjoy ancient world Scenarios and I wish you would Improve it upon my advice.;) :goodjob:

if there was 5 important,big etc... civs in 2000BC that's ok for me but if there was Kush (modern Ethiopia) Empire then you should add it:)

Also maybe you can change the colors of Akkadian Dynasty (Sumer) and Mycenaean Kingdom (Greece). They have colors that nearly same(two different tones of blue:( )

Overally i like your scenerio,, thank you very much for this project

Traitorfish said:
Seems like there's a lot of wasted space. Among other things, it'd be centuries before the Xia actually encountered anyone else.
You could at least add Kush (modern Ethiopia). Just use the leader from the Mali civ.

Sorry guys, haven't check up this website for a few days.

Let me try to reply everyone at once.

Traitorfish,
Yeah. I agree with you about the waste land. But as I said I like to use the same map for other scenario. I am working on the 1000BC scenario. May be will be completed after new year.

About Kush. One hardest part about building this scenario is to choose which civilizations to included. I can foresee it will be more difficult when I start to build scenario for later ages.

One main theme I had in mind when I built this 2000BC scenario is to have the earliest civilization fighting barbarians but not between civilizations (at least at the start), which is what really happened in history.

Having this said, I would check up whether Kush should be placed as a civilization along rather than Barbarian in this scenario. But Kush will be in the 1000BC scenario anyway.

Karam,

Yeah, absolutely agree with you. I didn't change the names of the leaders. The difficulty is that I didn't want to use any mod which means that I have to live with the leaders thats come with the game. But maybe I could change the name while leaving the face untouch.

About city placement, can you suggest your changes? The difficulty I found is the limited space i can use.

alinurdengizich,

Yeah. I should change the colour.

And thanks for all the encouragement!

Happy New Year.:cool:

Hi everyone,

I am building the 1000BC scenario and deciding which civs should I included. The current list of civs (and the civs used in the game) are:

Egypt (Egypt)
Cush (Mali)
Balylonia (Arabia)
Assyria (Persia)
Israel (Roman)
Greece (Greece)
Aryan-India (India)
Shang (China)
Zhou (Mongols)
Olmec (Aztecs)
Chavin (Inca)

Total 11 civs.

Feel free to comment on which civ should/shouldn't include. Also suggestions for city placements are welcome!

Karam,
Yeah, absolutely agree with you. I didn't change the names of the leaders. The difficulty is that I didn't want to use any mod which means that I have to live with the leaders thats come with the game. But maybe I could change the name while leaving the face untouch.

About city placement, can you suggest your changes? The difficulty I found is the limited space i can use.
I totally agree with Karam, I'm looking forward to your Scenario;) . For leaderheads, I'm modifying the Cyrus leaderhead to make it look Mesopotamian, I've changed the background, the face, the beard and its prettymuch done. If you want it I could send it to you, as I do not wish to share it until I have a decent Scenario in hand. About cities, down south you should have 'Ur', in the middle instead of Agade, you should have 'Babylon' and up north you should have 'Nineveh'.

About your 1000 BC Scenario I would suggest you include EITHER Sumeria, Babylon OR Assyria, as having them together is historically inaccurate, also having inmind it would crowd the map:( . Keep going and if you need any advice I'm here! I'm a new forum member BTW:)

Look at this. This is my 4th turn as Egypt! At least give us more than 1 unit per city!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 4,824
Tyranausaurus said:
I totally agree with Karam, I'm looking forward to your Scenario;) . For leaderheads, I'm modifying the Cyrus leaderhead to make it look Mesopotamian, I've changed the background, the face, the beard and its prettymuch done. If you want it I could send it to you, as I do not wish to share it until I have a decent Scenario in hand. About cities, down south you should have 'Ur', in the middle instead of Agade, you should have 'Babylon' and up north you should have 'Nineveh'.

About your 1000 BC Scenario I would suggest you include EITHER Sumeria, Babylon OR Assyria, as having them together is historically inaccurate, also having inmind it would crowd the map:( . Keep going and if you need any advice I'm here! I'm a new forum member BTW:)

I've spent half a day reading historical references to check whether my initial understand was correct for issues raise here.

Lets first discuss the 2000BC scenario.

Refering to a request for having a Kush civilization, I've found out that there was a Kingdom of Kerma which first appeared in 2600BC. But since it was not clear whether it is only a city states or a unified empire and it soon became a colony of Egypt, can I consider it as barbarian for this scenario? I know calling any civ as barbarian is VERY bias, but afterall this is only a game and we need some simplifications. Agree?

Tyranausaurus, thanks for your offer about your mod. I am not familiar with making mods. So if you don't mind you can mod this scenario and post it back in here or somewhere else. Your help in making historically correct scenario is also appreciated too. I am only very familiar with chinese history, other places of the world I would heavily rely on references. So if my reference is wrong then I will be wrong.

About your suggestions for city placement, the reason I chose Agade was that it was the capital of the Akkadian empire during Sargon reign (which should be around 2300BC historically). For Uruk, it seems like it was a large city as big as Ur, I think either of them would satisfy the purpose. I have used Nineveh for the northern city.

About the 1000BC scenario:
All of the references I've got suggested that this period around 1000BC had many different empires co-existing in the mesopotemia region (Babylon, Assyria, Elam, Mitanni, Hittite etc) There are times when Assyria and Babylon ruled over the entire region but most of the time were at war with each other.

The theme I have in mind for this scenario is "The clash of empires". There will be many local conflicts until one can unified the local region. The same reason for having both Shang and Zhou, Egypt and Kush co-existing. I have started plotting cities for them and they should have two cities to start with at least :)

IamSid said:
Look at this. This is my 4th turn as Egypt! At least give us more than 1 unit per city!

Hi Sid,

Thats the theme of the game :D The strategy is to rush for defense and just let the barbarian destroy all the improvement. You will soon find that your culture would win the barbarian cities without even sending armies to take them.

In history, Akkadian, Xia, india and Minoan were destroyed by barbarians (according to the definition of this scenario) and/or natural disaster. thats 4/5 civs in this game.

So have fun with the chellenge :crazyeye:

Oh wait I was just playing it and I was wondering. To make some Barbarion cities harder to convert, like Babylon, you could put a palace and other improvements and more units in the important Barbarian cities.:D

IamSid said:
Oh wait I was just playing it and I was wondering. To make some Barbarion cities harder to convert, like Babylon, you could put a palace and other improvements and more units in the important Barbarian cities.:D

Hey, I though you were complaining the scenario is too hard ;)

Thats a good idea. I was thinking how to make them harder to convert. I tried to give them more culture value but after saving, the culture values were gone.

I could put a palace in Troy, Jericho and Persepolis which were the ones that i want to be taken only by force.

Genghis_Kai said:
Hey, I though you were complaining the scenario is too hard ;)

Thats a good idea. I was thinking how to make them harder to convert. I tried to give them more culture value but after saving, the culture values were gone.

I could put a palace in Troy, Jericho and Persepolis which were the ones that i want to be taken only by force.
That was the 4th term and then I saw how easy they were to convert. And the barbs don't even attack your cities.:crazyeye:

Hi, I've made the cities placement for the 1000BC scenario.

Here are the cities in the 3 core regions of the world.

Please make your comments.

/deleted/

Nice;), however I would still encourage you to just include 1 Mesopotamian civ, It makes it alot more enjoyable and less confusing. Other than that:goodjob:

Top Bottom