SpyMod: "steal technology"

theSeby

Chieftain
Wanna use your spy to steal the "rocketry"-technology from your enemy ? Well, install this Mod.
It's actualy a "mix" of Action Buttons Utilities (from Talchas) and TechConquest (from Bhruic). No really advanced, but playable. Some feedback would be appreciated !

SpyMod 0.4 for Cvililzation 4 (1.52)
by Seby

This Mod add a "steal a tech" button to the spy-unit.
With this new action, a spy can steal a technology in an ennemy city.
- cost: 150 (constant)
- failure rate: 37% (constant)
- research points gained: depends of the size of the city, and the building in the city (bonus with university, lab and observatory)
- AI doesn't know how to use it
- no mouse-over info

bugs:
- sometimes, the unit does not end his turn, specialy with more than one spy in the game.

to do:
- teach AI how to use it
- mouse-over info
- improve the "rules" (failure, research gained, cost...)

Attachments

• SpyMod04.zip
    32.5 KB · Views: 501
Nice. I won't be able to try it as I'm already in the middle of testing couple of things but it looks good. Once the SDK is out (hurry up firaxis :whipped:) I expect we'll get spies with abilities far above and beyond those of the Civ3 spies. :D

theSeby said:
Wanna use your spy to steal the "rocketry"-technology from your enemy ? Well, install this Mod.
It's actualy a "mix" of Action Buttons Utilities (from Talchas) and TechConquest (from Bhruic). No really advanced, but playable. Some feedback would be appreciated !
YOU ARE A GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :goodjob:

theSeby said:

-AI doesn't know how to use it

I added tech stealing, as an option, to my Assassin unit a couple of days ago. I'll release it (version 1.2) tomorrow or the next day after I do some more testing. You might be interested in it because the AI definately knows how to use it. However, I don't use buttons. I wouldn't know how to make the AI use something with buttons.

Roger Bacon

RogerBacon said:
I added tech stealing, as an option, to my Assassin unit a couple of days ago. I'll release it (version 1.2) tomorrow or the next day after I do some more testing. You might be interested in it because the AI definately knows how to use it. However, I don't use buttons. I wouldn't know how to make the AI use something with buttons.

Roger Bacon

AI use is a must.:cool:

RogerBacon said:

Roger Bacon
In assassin mod it's possible to steal a technology from a rival civilization and the rivals civilizations can be able to steal a technology ?

junter said:
In assassin mod it's possible to steal a technology from a rival civilization and the rivals civilizations can be able to steal a technology ?

Yes, it will be when I post the new version tomorrow. If I worked on it tonight my wife would assassinate me (It's Saint Valentine's Day).

Skyer2 said:
And what about to create "incite revolt"?

Unrest and rioting are already in teh assassin mod. If you mean making the city change sides, no. There are no plans for that. There's only so much one agent can do afterall.

I've stepped on theSeby's thread pretty heavily. Sorry about that. Any further talk about assassins should be done in the assassin thread.

Roger Bacon

Do any of these units plant nukes yet? ;)

Thanks for feedback,
I added tech stealing, as an option, to my Assassin unit a couple of days ago.
I'll have a look at it, i wonder how I can modify AI.
However, I don't use buttons. I wouldn't know how to make the AI use something with buttons.
I wanted to make this with buttons, in order to stay with the same spy's "gameplay".
And what about to create "incite revolt"?
Good idea but I'm not sure it's a spy's action. And it's already made in a few mods (Assassin, and the Martyr unit in Faces of God I think).
Do any of these units plant nukes yet?
Other good idea, close to the "Martyr" of "Faces of God". At this time, i've just add the action "steal a tech".

Krupo said:
Do any of these units plant nukes yet? ;)
I think we should step aside from the whole idea of planting a nuke. Common, have you ever seen the size of a nuclear bomb? It's not something you carry under your arm and simply leave behind.

Hyronymus said:
I think we should step aside from the whole idea of planting a nuke. Common, have you ever seen the size of a nuclear bomb? It's not something you carry under your arm and simply leave behind.

Yeah, and they're not necessarily that huge. A nice wheelbarrow will do the trick. If you're Sideshow Bob, anyway.

But still, I say we Never step aside from the idea of planting nukes! The larger the weapon and the smaller the delivery vehicle/person, the cooler it is. :nuke: :goodjob:

You can add a dirty bomb to the kit (which is no doubt immensely easier), but it is by no stretch of the imagination impossible to consider this possibility of the real deal.

Say, your spy sends in a container ship containing said warhead. Boom.

The trick, of course, is to acquire said warhead and successfully transport it to the destination.

But when it happened successfully (and the spy got away successfully too!) it was oh so cool... and a nice big slap in the face of enemies who had SDI, which your spy couldn't sabotage because of the "guard dogs" and "razor wire fences".

Good times in Civ2. :D

Instead of a nuclear bomb you could consider planting J-DAM's. Their massive power evokes a shockwave too.

Oh, I miss that one too; what great fun it was to incite revolts, or subvert cities for that matter.

I loved that non-sensical distinction: as if the computer bothered to differentiate between which option you chose! Although IIRC the latter didn't cause war to break out automatically.

Still, with Civ 3/4 culture-switching, an incite revolt option would also have the added strength of looking more 'innocent.' :)

I would tweak some of the settings a bit. I think 150 is WAY too low for the opportunity to save yourself 7 or so turns on a tech. If you look how expensive it is to sabotage production then you're getting around the right numbers. Tech theft should be at least 1000 and possibly a good deal more. If Firaxis implemented it, it would probably be at least 3500. Alternatively you could set the success rate low, but nevertheless, at 150, it's crazy not to give it a try, even at 15%.

I love sepu's idea about spreading propaganda.

I'd also like a "sabotage infrastructure" option wherein you slow production by a certain percent for a certain number of turns.

Another one I'd like to see is "backchannel negotiations" wherein whatever deal is done is done on the QT so other leaders don't know about it. This could make it possible to incite wars, etc., against an ally without him/her knowing.

mgdpublic said:
I would tweak some of the settings a bit. I think 150 is WAY too low for the opportunity to save yourself 7 or so turns on a tech. If you look how expensive it is to sabotage production then you're getting around the right numbers. Tech theft should be at least 1000 and possibly a good deal more. If Firaxis implemented it, it would probably be at least 3500. Alternatively you could set the success rate low, but nevertheless, at 150, it's crazy not to give it a try, even at 15%.

I love sepu's idea about spreading propaganda.

I'd also like a "sabotage infrastructure" option wherein you slow production by a certain percent for a certain number of turns.

Another one I'd like to see is "backchannel negotiations" wherein whatever deal is done is done on the QT so other leaders don't know about it. This could make it possible to incite wars, etc., against an ally without him/her knowing.

You're right about the 150, but don't forget the spy doesn't steal an entire technology, just some points (he'll need more than 3 or 4 times to steal the entire tech).
The constants are a bad idea too, a jail in the city or stationnary troups would surely make it harder.

About the ideas:
- plant nuke isn't very realistic, but it's really fun ! Maybe for a terrorist/saboteur unit ?
- revolt/propaganda: I don't think it's a spy's job, it's more religious or cultural.
- sabotage infrastructure: good idea, the city lost a few hammers for a few turns.
- backchannel negotiations: nice idea too, but no clue about how to implement it.

Other idea:
- destroy the current research of an ennemy

Top Bottom