[MOD] Regiments (10+1 men formations)

seZereth

FfH´s art monk(ey)
UPDATE
I wont work on this anymore (as i abandoned some month ago anyway). there are a lot of good Mods (for Warlords too) out there that incorporate what i started and some even expand it.
My last work was for the Warhammer FB mod. If you want a lot more Formations, download it and look at the unitformations.xml there.

old
hi there folks ,
as everyone has troubles installing it (it works, but it seems to be too complicated for some pepole), i am corresponding with Porges and as soon he fixes his virus problem, i will put up a fixed and improved version. be patient until then and keep looking frward to it !
here is the second version of the Regiments mod, it changes the graphics and ONLY the graphics, not the stats or something, so u can play your good old civ but with Regiments instead of 3 men Units.

FIX for version 1.61 thanks to porges

Stay tuned for Regiments version 0.3b made by porges too ;) and after that the more improved Regiments Xtreme ;) (i hope to cooperate with porges here too :) )

readme 03 said:
v0.3

This mod only changes the graphics, it doesnt alter gameplay! every unit is as strong as it was before, even if it doesnt look like this ;)

What this mod changes (could be incomplete):

-Unitsize of (Line)Infantry set to 11, (Horde)Infantry to 10, (Special)Infantry to 5, Cavalry to 5
-Axeman now have an "open" formation (mix between horde and line)
-Settlers got one more child
-Scouts got a scoutdog at their side
-Unitsize of Workers and Explorers is now 3
-Siegemachines now have a crew (one man each)
-Mechanized Infantrie got 3 Marines next to the tank

>>Officers folder is in the (.../Mods)/Regiments v03/assets/art/units/ folder, put the skin u want to have the Officr of an Regiment in the appropriate folder (e.g. you want a reskin of the Swordsman to be the officer of the Swordsman regiment, then u put the swordsman.dds file into the (.../Mods)/Regiments v03/assets/art/units/officers/swordsman/ folder.

Skins of the normal Regiment unit can be changed as normal, by putting the .dds file into the (.../Mods)/Regiments v03/assets/art/units/"unitname"/ folder.
Note: officer skins can only be changed for the units, which an officerfolder exists for (the others are not yet linked in the art_definesunits.xml file!!! )

The scales of the units have been changed, to give a more realistic look (e.g. a tank is higher than a marine, a Destroyer is bigger than a Galley and so on)

To install this, put the Regiments v03 folder into your /Civilisation 4/Mods/ folder
Then you can open civ4config (otherwise start it from inside the main menu)
and replace the 0 at
Mods= 0
with
Mods= Regiments v03

Heres something you should know about:

when i created the mod i used "civscale" and scaled the unitsgraphics down to 5 (from 10) and cause i did this before i started modding, i wrote the mod around it without knowing, that any other person using this mod, would have to scale the units down to 5 too. I now implemented the affected files

\Assets\XML\Misc\CIV4DetailManager.xml
\Assets\XML\GlobalDefines.xml

so everyone has the correct scale.

have fun with the mod, report all bugs to the forum and try to think about how they could be fixed.
Give me some feedback, positive or negative, i am open for special wishes (as my time allows them) and improvement ideas!

seZereth

Fixed the crashbug with the missionary and reworked (improved) some things in the formationinfo.xml

well, just go into worldbuilder and have a look on the new unitlooks!

included a readme file
Installation:
simply put the unzipped regiments folder into your programms/civilization4/mods/
folder. nothing else

I am aware of some issues with the mod, but couldnt test it long enough to see all bugs. so after we gathered enough issues and fixed them, i will release a better version.

So please download it, test it and give me FEEDBACK, wishes, hints and suggestions are very welcome!!!!

download newest versiuon 03 at http://www.filegone.com/pkce
download version 02 at: http://www.filegone.com/px4a
sometimes filegone doesnt open, so i added a version without the art components. just the xml files, more experienced players can do with it what they want, the rest has to wait until filegone upons.

Attachments

• regimentsv03.zip
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,023
pictures of an earlier version, first regiments close up, second gathered action

BUGS(-) and Fixes(+)
-crashes with Christian Missionay
+ Fixed it in this version!
-report of crash related to axeman
+ need more information about this from other players.

-Officers change to (random?) position after the regiment looses a man in combat
+ no idea why this happens and how to fix this!!!!
if someone knows why, please tell me!!!

The regiments look really cool. How do they look while attacking?

Barak said:
The regiments look really cool. How do they look while attacking?

just have a look at the second screenshot ive posted, there are different battleformations, a horde, a loose and a close one and so on. just try it out ;)

and if someone knows a fix for the problem of the officer going to another ( random?) position, then please tell me !!!

Oh goodie you've finally released them. Will the game run a little slower having nearly four times as many figures in it?

i tryed it and it looks very nice, but i've got two problems with it so far.

when my swordsmen(or other melee) units fight an archer they only attack with 3 at a time. i think they should attack with at least 5 or maybe all 10 at once
i changed the line <iRangedWaveSize>3</iRangedWaveSize> for all units to <iRangedWaveSize>5</iRangedWaveSize> and it fixed it, but i don't know what other problems it may have caused.

my other problem is that it crashed (not my modified version, just yours)
it crashed on 100BC and reloading the game didn't change that. 100BC again (5 times)

i'm gonna try playing a new game from the start to see if it crashed too.

but all in all i think it looks really cool!

EDIT: the image for the unit in the lower left corner is of the leader, wich is sometimes misleading when the leader is on horse.

It also crashed one when i attacked an archer with my swordsman

INSTALLATION Instructions Requested!!

For example: is this a "mod" or are things put into CustomAssets. The "Regiments.ini" seem to imply a mod, but even so how about install instr. regardless.

EDIT: Thank you for adding the instructions!

Once the bugs are worked out this will fit nicely with other war mods.
Ive actually wanted the troops smaller and more realistic for a while now.

Multiple units moving towards the enemy look even more fearsome, inspiring greater fear. I like it.

:devil:

AlazkanAssassin said:
my other problem is that it crashed (not my modified version, just yours)
it crashed on 100BC and reloading the game didn't change that. 100BC again (5 times)

Same problem here in one game, except it was occuring regularly at 100AD. Crash to desktop.

Been really enjoying playing with the big armies though - nice mod.

Broken Legion said:
... and two: will automatically adapt any new and resinned units I've done?

Most likely it will, as the only things that should be changed by the mod are simply the number of figures in the unit, and the arrangement of said figures. There is the matter of the officer figure to consider, but as he doesn't actually do anything, I don't think it should have any effect on unit reskins.

That's really just an assumption though, no matter how likely it may or may not be.

Vehem said:
Same problem here in one game, except it was occuring regularly at 100AD. Crash to desktop.

Been really enjoying playing with the big armies though - nice mod.

For *** sake, what is the reason for this, cant explain to me why this should happen, the doomed number 100 ;)
well, i dont know to aproach this problem. need ideas or someone who tells me, that it didnt happen to him ;)

A Silly Goose said:
Most likely it will, as the only things that should be changed by the mod are simply the number of figures in the unit, and the arrangement of said figures. There is the matter of the officer figure to consider, but as he doesn't actually do anything, I don't think it should have any effect on unit reskins.

That's really just an assumption though, no matter how likely it may or may not be.

it is mentioned in the first post, just use custom skins as u ever did (even for officers). you just have to put them in the mod folder, not in the custom folder (but see first post)

gaah, started a random game with this mod and got a very nice starting location with tokugawa. and now it crashes everytime on 75 BC :cry: is there any way to disable the mod for a save? ^^

Mine is crashing too, but at different dates for no apparent reason. I tried using a Great Artist one time, and after a restart it crashed in the middle of combat. I like this, but definitely has some kinks to work out.

seZereth said:
For *** sake, what is the reason for this, cant explain to me why this should happen, the doomed number 100 ;)
well, i dont know to aproach this problem. need ideas or someone who tells me, that it didnt happen to him ;)
It could be memory related, after all you got many more models on screen. Do a save the turn before it crashes, and play around with numbers of units, or their coordinates or something else - this is obviously "shooting blind" but it's a start I think.

BTW, it looks great I'm gonna give it a try.

Edit (got it, see edit2): Ok, so this is weird. Once I installed the game (I put it into the customassets folder) and loaded up a save, all my axemen turned into swordsmen, and all my swordsmen turned into jaguars - I'm playing Americans! :)

As for the left corner view I do think that you should use a reskinned unit as officer (unless you can figure out how to have it show a different unit) because while it's nice when looking at it on the map, it is very confusing.

Also, and this is probably just me, but with the reduced scale of the units the two workers seem mighty lonely :) so maybe you should change number of workers to three (I'm gonna do it myself for my copy obviously but it's just something you might wanna consider for the mod).

Edit 2: So I figured out (sort of) why my axemen were replaced with swordsmen, and swordsmen with jaguars. I compared the original unitsinfo.xml with yours, and on the same lines where in the original the axeman is defined, you have swordsman, and where swordsman you have jaguar. Basically, it goes as follows, in original file the order is swordsman, jaguar, praetorian and axeman, in your file the order is jaguar, praetorian, swordsman and axeman.

What confuses me about this situation is that I thought that order of units in unitsinfo was not important, and shouldn't a game call UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN anyway, thus loading a swordsman wherever it's defined in a file. Yet it seems as if it calls "unit on line xxxx" and if it happens to be an axeman and not a swordsman then que serra, serra. Weird :crazyeye:

Rabbit said:
It could be memory related, after all you got many more models on screen. Do a save the turn before it crashes, and play around with numbers of units, or their coordinates or something else - this is obviously "shooting blind" but it's a start I think.

That seems a good idea, perhaps one should save the turn before and change the number of units in Graphicoptions to the single Man unit and look if it crashes again.

Rabbit said:
Edit (got it, see edit2): Ok, so this is weird. Once I installed the game (I put it into the customassets folder) and loaded up a save, all my axemen turned into swordsmen, and all my swordsmen turned into jaguars - I'm playing Americans! :)

As for the left corner view I do think that you should use a reskinned unit as officer (unless you can figure out how to have it show a different unit) because while it's nice when looking at it on the map, it is very confusing.

Also, and this is probably just me, but with the reduced scale of the units the two workers seem mighty lonely :) so maybe you should change number of workers to three (I'm gonna do it myself for my copy obviously but it's just something you might wanna consider for the mod).

Edit 2: So I figured out (sort of) why my axemen were replaced with swordsmen, and swordsmen with jaguars. I compared the original unitsinfo.xml with yours, and on the same lines where in the original the axeman is defined, you have swordsman, and where swordsman you have jaguar. Basically, it goes as follows, in original file the order is swordsman, jaguar, praetorian and axeman, in your file the order is jaguar, praetorian, swordsman and axeman.

What confuses me about this situation is that I thought that order of units in unitsinfo was not important, and shouldn't a game call UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN anyway, thus loading a swordsman wherever it's defined in a file. Yet it seems as if it calls "unit on line xxxx" and if it happens to be an axeman and not a swordsman then que serra, serra. Weird :crazyeye:

You shouldnt put it into custom assets, put it in the real civ folder under /MODs. ok, well now i know, then you couldnt load a saved game ;)

would have to look for this

Top Bottom