The Coalition of the New

Swiss said:
Vetism is the beleif that since Veteran players are better than you or I because of there post count or because they are hold-overs from the previous demogames

Well, my post count appears to be towards the top of most of the DG players, but my experience here is almost non-existent. I’d like to join this group as I feel we can learn from all players, green or not. I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone here.

DZ.. you still have my vote..see the presidential thread as to why. I urge all the coalition of the new to read what I wrote and decide from there.

Methos said:
Well, my post count appears to be towards the top of most of the DG players, but my experience here is almost non-existent. I’d like to join this group as I feel we can learn from all players, green or not. I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone here.

Dont worry about it, my p/c is also right up there, ive been involved in the demogame for years and yet you could still class me as a newbie because unlike some people i treat this as a game not real life.

Now, i think, would be a good time to start the types of Vetism discusstion. What types do you think there are, and what kind of person fits in that type. What are the tell-tale signs.
Just some basic ones IMO:

Passive Vetist: Person doesn't advertise his views, but every once in a while a comment will slip. Has the tendency to hope on the blame bandwagon when it involves new players. Sometimes helps new players out, but the vetism is still there.

Aggresive Vetist: Advetises views, make many comments about how veterans are better. Usually drives the bandwagon in blaming new players, refuses to see fault in self or veterans, instead choosing to blame the new guy.

Traditonalist: Hangs on to tradition, expects that it will be followed and headed because its all the persons ever known. Fights hard against change, lives in the past

Please contribute

To add to the discussion...How long before a newbie becomes a vet?

I will think about your points Swiss and add to them later.

Swissempire said:
Please contribute

Of course!

Clueless new: Refuses to learn anything about the DG, insists that anything old is bad. Leads the charge when blaming veteran players

Semi-Inquisitive new: Sometimes learns about the DG, but only when it suites them. Tends to follow along when veteran players are blamed.

Participative new: Learns how the DG works, and finds solutions to problems. Believes there are experience, and inexperience players, and learns from both.

I'll keep working on the list for you.

-- Ravensfire

Good, thank you Ravensfire. I wouldn't what it to be one sided:)

I would classify my self as a Particpative Semi-Clueless New. I tend to lead the charge when blaming veterans, but at the same time Learns how the DG works, and finds solutions to problems.

I think though that clueless should be changed to something a little less... insulting. But the other two are good:goodjob:

Wow. There is a serious disconnect going on between the vets and noobs. How can we bridge this gap?

With a bridge of understanding:)
and happiness:)
and love:)
And the concession that this is a new demogame, that all players are equal in this new demogame regardless of previous DG's, that since this is a new demogame that we should be a happy family, and view this as a new beggining, not as an extension of demogames past. That traditions can change or be disregarded, and that there is, was and will be a difference between the Civ4 DG's and the Civ3 ones.

I will go back to respecting my elders if they respect me.

What traditions do you think must be changed, Swiss? As far as I can see, the only tradition you are railing against is the tradition of accurately interpreting our laws.

I am sorry, brothers and sisters, but flowery prose is no replacement for sound judicial acumen. I guess that my attempts to uphold the latter standard makes me a stodgy veteran.

BTW, wouldn't a vetist be defined as one who was anti-vet? :lol:

I am trying to bridge the gap...hence my question. When does a noob become a vet.

This is my second term in the Tri..am I there yet? Maybe I am a Noob Vet.

Darn it Swiss, I was hoping the answer was "when we storm the Bastille and the enemies of the people meet the blade." I think one of you should write a manifesto and we should have a revolution.

:lol: I hope everyone know I'm kidding.

Hey I am in charge of the military...viva la revolution.

/joking...especially since we almost have as many workers as units.

I pm'd Tubby....he said he already has one angry citizen there so what's a few more!

Hey are you still in charge of spies too...

/This thing might have legs after all...

Whomp said:
I pm'd Tubby....he said he already has one angry citizen there so what's a few more!

You future citizens will start getting angry soon too...want to join the revolution Whomper...:crazyeye:

/dang it we are spamming our own Coalition.

N00B REVOLUTION!!!! Aiiiiii.....

As to DZ, you seem to be missing the point where ITS NOT ENTIRELY UP TO YOU AS TO WHAT THE CORRECT INTRPETATION OF THE LAW IS. We both obviously intrperet it different ways. We are upholding the tradition of accurately upholding the laws. In fact, a mjority of the citizienry agrees. But they can't be right can they.

My refferals to traditions is a broad one. That in this new DG, we deserve a chance to create our own traditions, to SHAPE OUR GAME. You are a part of that, i am a part of that, everyone here is a part of that. But the Civ3 DG traditions are exactly that, the Civ3 DG's traditions. The Civ4's traditons will be shaped and are being shaped. This reminds me of that Who song *starts humming*

Whomp said:
Wow. There is a serious disconnect going on between the vets and noobs. How can we bridge this gap?

See the post I quoted part of? That's certainly not going to help. More the opposite - it pissed me off to no end.

What does help? There isn't anything wrong with people asking why certain things are considered "tradition". There also isn't anything wrong with changing or disregarding them.

It doesn't take much to be polite to people. Likewise, if you feel that someone is talking down to you, calling them on it politely is pretty easy. All of that would dramatically help in this. There's a great deal of hostility directed by a few people involved in this that keeps tensions high.

I would ask that those new to the game remember that those that have been in this for years do have reasons for some of our actions and traditions. We've been through countless arguements and seen what some things can do to the DG.

There's a great deal of respect for the concept of the DG in nearly everyone here, it's just shown in different ways.

-- Ravensfire

robboo said:
You future citizens will start getting angry soon too...want to join the revolution Whomper...:crazyeye:

/dang it we are spamming our own Coalition.
How about another worker for the military?

Top Bottom