Office of the President - Term 1

DaveMcW

Deity
Welcome to the Oval Office!

I am running all the departments myself, so this is the place to discuss anything related to:
  • Playing the Save
  • Department of Civics
  • Department Council on Religion
  • Department of Imperial Expansion
  • Department of the Budget

First debatable question in my mind goes to the Department of Imperial Expansion

What are thoughts for the settler?

I see 4 options:

1. Settle in place
2. Move N/N settle next turn on plains hill
3. Move SW/SW settle enxt turn on plains hill
4. Move SE/S settle next turn on plains hill

Here's a summary.

Site A
Freshwater
Rice
4 floodplains
No turns wasted to move

Site B
Freshwater
Coastal
2-hammer center tile
+25% defense
Rice
1 floodplain

Site C
2-hammer center tile
+25% defense
4 floodplains
Central location

Site D
2-hammer center tile
+25% defense
Rice
Central location

I suggest before we finalize where we settle we should first move the warrior one tile north onto the hill, so we can view more of our surroundings. I suggest as soon as its our turn the President moves the warrior than we finalize our settlement options.

For now though, with the tiles currently viewed, I'd probably go with spot C. I like cottaged floodplains and have a tendency to aim for them. Hmm, I've forgotten what civ we're playing. Off to look it up...

Please go here to get the saves of our current postion to extrapolate if you wish :)
Starting Location

As for my opinion, unless we see fish/clams to the north with the initial warrior move (which I am sure our Department of Defense will authorize) we settle on location C or A. I am still doing testing but it may be more advantageous to still settle on A or C even if there is only one fish/clams (if there is two then is makes sense to go north)

A vs C.

I normally jump at the chance to settle on a plains hill, but I'm not too sure here. We give up a 4-food tile and two 4-hammer tiles to gain one extra hammer per turn. And in the long run, we lose 2 health in our best city for not being on the lake.

In a multiplayer deathmatch I would want the 25% defense bonus, but if the teams are as peaceful as CIIIMTDG, it won't matter.

Of course C does have 13 black tiles, which are likely to contain hills and maybe even a food bonus. It probably won't have as much grassland as A. If it comes down to a choice between a production capital or a commerce capital, I favor the commerce capital.

I know I also opt for the plains hill normally,

But I just played this though with option A and C

And A came out on top

Because the difficulty is Prince, we Settling on C gives a health of 3, happy of 5
So the health is a huge limiting factor.

My start on A consisted of this:

Settling in place
worker==>warrior==>library
wheel==>pottery==>writing

when the worker came out he put a road on the rice while waiting for pottery to finish (2 turns...the timing was really nice)

From here growing was easy as the health was at 5, same with happy.

As for site B, unless there are 2 fish or 2 clams I suggest don't go north because the cottages on the plains hills are far more valuable in the long run.

Not to mention if we settle in place there are 3 plains hill which we can mine for production at the capital.

Final thought: This is a sirian made map, he is tempting us to move to a plains hill, when odds are there is something nice on one of those hills :)

I think it is easier for us just to settle of A because it means no turns are wasted by not having any lost production and that can be a bit of a bad thing in these sorts of games against humans.

If we settle at site A, this is what we will probably look like after 17 turns (3280 B.C.) reasearching the wheel and pottery

wheel 8 turns and then pottery 10 turns
worker 15 turns

We now have a pleathera of options(i.e. research writing or bronze in 13 turns, gettign to preisthood, etc) to choose from pending on what our exploring warrior turns ups or who we meet etc.

I think although riskier on multiplayer building the worker first will be a bonus in the long run and the threat is low because sirian would not have put everyone side by side

The other added bonus of not being on a hill, and with no hill close to our cultural boundries, unless a rival civ finds us in under 5 turns, our borders will expand and they would never know if we have defense there or not.

I would also in future have the resources labeled if possible ...

Is Rice the shimmering stuff west of the what I assume is the Settler unit standing over the Red A?

I think that let a warrior open our field ... but unless something striking is found we should settle where we are :salute:

If something amazing is sighted by our Warrior, then the discretion of President will decide ;)

This is great stuff.

I agree – Site “A” is looking pretty good… unless our warrior discovers some amazing stuff on the hill, “A” looks like a winner.

So based on the release of the game DaveMcW you get the save in anywhere for now to 4 days?

Hi,

I vote to settle spot A as well, as it has a nice mixture of high commerce (flood plains) and high shield tiles (hills) in range. Plus I bet we will have at least one more resource in range that we cannot see yet and which we might lose by moving. Moving your settler is a bad idea in Civ 4 90% of the time, as starting locations might get tweaked a bit by the game to balance them out, and I doubt Sirian has meddled much with the starting spots.

Because of that, the choice of what to research might be influenced by this - for example, if we have cows in range, Animal Husbandry might be researched first etc.

Just my 2 gold,

-Kylearan

The office of the domestic party asks the president to take a screen shot of the "demographics" page and the "top five cities" page at some point during our opening turn.

(This brings me to another question, Am I allowed to open the save and look at stuff like that? Instead of Asking our President to everytime.)

Yes, anyone can look at the save. That's why we give out the email account password. :)

You can also rearrange tiles and play with research settings, just don't do anything "permanent" like moving units.

Hi,

I've just seen the screenshot after turn one, and...we only have a rice resource visible in range, nothing else?!? Not good. Rice is the worst of all resources... Let's hope we have at least metal and/or horses at our capital, or it won't be very impressive. :(

Just for clarification: Is this the thread where general discussions/ideas about the current state of the game should go into?

-Kylearan

Can we have all game reports ie. what has happened per turn in one single thread which is added to with each sucessive turn we take.

A sort of summary.

Top Bottom