Which Religious Teachings do Atheists Follow?

Mr. Do

Emperor
Some Christians would contend that atheists get their morals from "religious" teachings, but does anyone know what that means? What religious texts am I, as an atheist, meant to follow? I need to know, lest I am excommunicated from the church of the pseudo-Christ....

Er no not that simple at least in my country most atheists get there morals from society, which these days is becoming more and more secular, since some of our laws both moral and legal are based on religion here, partly that too. However alot of atheists I know get there morals from reading philosophy or being told about behaviour that is secular based, and from talking about there own ideas of morality. Just saying it's religion all the way is innacurate. As an agnostic much of my moral code comes from my parents my friends my education philosophy and religion both western and eastern. It's all a rich tapestry.

I have to say the only thing that athiests believe in is the law of the land.I am not saying that athiests are not capable of not breaking the law per se,but saying that the only thing that most of them follow is that of secular law not some obsolete spiritual one that conflict the idea of liberty.

Deciding not to decide is still a decision.

The lack of diety in atheistic beliefs does not mean they are absent from deciding what they view life as. This is normally dependent on the particular person, but everyone has a worldview. It may not have a diety, but a worldview is a worldview. You may not be a member of organized religion, but even as you live now, you are building your unique worldview, and your own judgment system that you view life through. Logic, worship, science, and learning all fit into your unique worldview. A word of advice, build it wisely, for though you may not have a religion, your worldview is just as important. :)

Some theists seem to think that God holds a patent on such morals as: do not kill, do not steal, do not lie etc.

I never though much of IP rights though... ;)

I think theists and atheists alike just adhere to some common values. Even if those values originated from religious philosophy, I don't have a problem with that. I like what they represent themselves.

I could in turn submit a question to the theists: if you do not kill, is it only because God said you shall not kill?

EolTheDarkElf said:
Some theists seem to think that God holds a patent on such morals as: do not kill, do not steal, do not lie etc.

I never though much of IP rights though... ;)

I think theists and atheists alike just adhere to some common values. Even if those values originated from religious philosophy, I don't have a problem with that. I like what they represent themselves.

I could in turn submit a question to the theists: if you do not kill, is it only because God said you shall not kill?

Well quite, it was considered morally wrong in society to kill long before religion existed and even language no doubt, our morals are as much about societal expedience as they are codified religion; religion of all kinds didn't make the laws it simply was the first to write them down in a form all societys could follow, which is one of religions greatest contributions to mankind, that mankind choses to ignore them, even the religous is not proof that they are innefective it's just proof that mankind is somewhat ignorant.

@ Red Stranger: Athena is the god of Wisdom, war, the arts, justice and skill. Not a bad goddess for atheists to follow if that were not a contradiction in terms :)

I, personally, think that it's generally a bad idea to steal, coveth my neighbor's wife, and allow my judgements of others' lifestyles to influence government policy.

puglover said:
Deciding not to decide is still a decision.

The lack of diety in atheistic beliefs does not mean they are absent from deciding what they view life as. This is normally dependent on the particular person, but everyone has a worldview. It may not have a diety, but a worldview is a worldview. You may not be a member of organized religion, but even as you live now, you are building your unique worldview, and your own judgment system that you view life through. Logic, worship, science, and learning all fit into your unique worldview. A word of advice, build it wisely, for though you may not have a religion, your worldview is just as important. :)

Why can't you admit we atheists are not held in the same self-imposed prison as you religionists?

Religious people have decided to hand their lives over invisible friends. But
they are frustrated that atheists do not care for this. Hence, they try and
invent ways to make us equate to the same restrictions as religion...

Keep trying...You might come up with something one day.

No god = No religion = Atheism.

Not so hard when you put some grey matter to it.

:)

Red Stranger said:
Athena, the Greek goddess of Atheists.
AHEM. As a hacker, I must object. Athena is the patron deity of technology and hackers. If you ask Cleric, he'll say atheists worship the great and mighty Atheos.

Erik Mesoy said:
AHEM. As a hacker, I must object. Athena is the patron deity of technology and hackers. If you ask Cleric, he'll say atheists worship the great and mighty Atheos.

Interesting when I studied classics at school this was never mentioned, oh well religions evolve I supose even dead ones ;)

I've always said that atheism is the antihesis of religion but at the same time it's also a religion unto itself in its strongest form, not with a god obviously, more akin to say Taoism.

Sidhe said:
Interesting when I studied classics at school this was never mentioned, oh well religions evolve I supose even dead ones ;)
Not quite; vocabulary evolves and hackers steal culture from anywhere.
The Greek words that Athena is associated with are usually translated as "crafts" and "wisdom", but Neal Stephenson argues that the second word is better translated as "knowledge" or "information", and "crafts" also denotes creativity, which includes writing programs.

Erik Mesoy said:
The Greek words that Athena is associated with are usually translated as "crafts" and "wisdom", but Neal Stephenson argues that the second word is better translated as "knowledge" or "information", and "crafts" also denotes creativity, which includes writing programs.

Whee, Snow Crash again.

As for the OP, the argument is roughly along the lines of 'religious teachings are so ubiquitous throughout the various morals in a society, that you can't help but be unconsciously basing your morals on religious teachings, no matter how much you make the effort to think about them for yourself.' As an atheist, you're not meant to follow a particular set of religious stuff, but you can't help but be hugely influenced by it.

Eolthedarkelf said:

Some theists on this board have said that some of their behaviour changed specifically because god forbids what they were doing previously. They have also implied that they are incapable of making moral judgements for themselves, as the religious teachings are automatically right, and the theists' morality is automatically wrong if it's different from those teachings. They can try and make their own moral choices, but it's quicker, easier & less prone to error to simply consult the infallible authority. (That's some, not all. Some make their own moral judgements, and happen to be theists as well.)

Soon MobBoss would come in and say

"Athiests do get morality from religions"

Erik Mesoy said:

Interesting, seriously.

Who am I to argue with religous dogma though :D

CurtSibling said:
Why can't you admit we atheists are not held in the same self-imposed prison as you religionists?

Prison? As you die, bound to this heartless and random Earth, I will finally find my escape. You tell me who is locked in a self-imposed prison.

Atheism is a system of hopelessness. It is a worldview clouded by an aura of impeneterable pain. Though you may not call it a religion, it is still a worldview, and a very sad one. You refuse to see the hand of God, and thus you take your life with your own.

I pray you will finally see that on your own you are nothing to this world, and find your escape as well.

:)

I have to agree with Sidhe. The maturation of my moral code was secularly based in modern Philosopy by Hobbes, Locke, Descartes, Adam Smith, etc. But my moral foundation was rooted in elementary school and based on moral religious education(MRE) which told me what was wrong: Killing, Stealing Jealousy etc. I was just told to accept that theese things were wrong and not why they were wrong. If I did them I'd secure my place in hell. Like they say "Hell is for children".
Just a note: One religious teaching that I have found a very good way to lead ones life by is: to do unto others as you would like done onto youself. I dont do this because I have to, to secure a place in heaven(which is also for Children). I do it because it makes sense, and you will reap rewards for it.

Top Bottom