Internal Affairs

Bede

Deity
:mischief: :blush::cool:

Reserved for dipping of quills in company ink.

Bede said:
:mischief: :blush::cool:

Reserved for dipping of quills in company ink.

I hesitate to be the first...

Perhaps this should be split into multiple threads, but I will propose...

City Name - Vaccuous or Trite

I would recomend a warrior because hey, these are people we are playing, and if I came across an undefended opponent early in game - I'd take them out.

And we need a technology. When I play this by myself I head for the founding of a religion - having the money and intel that is provided by the prophet-built wonders for each religion is a great thing in my opinion. Besides which, I like to point people to eternal truths that will satisfy in this life and the next - it's just a thing I do.

As for technology, Budhism is the closest, which requires mysticism first. That is my 'soft' vote, I would love to hear other's thoughts.

There. My post for the 'company quill.'

I agree warrior first but maybe a partial build until we hit pop 2 then switch to worker could be a consideration. Then if someone pops up we can switch back.
I tend to go towards getting cottages as fast as possible because I feel civ4 is a commerce game like civ3 was a growth game. Looking at our start though there's not a lot of grass tiles to work so I wonder if this minimizes the benefit of getting cottages up early.

Booti said:
Besides which, I like to point people to eternal truths that will satisfy in this life and the next - it's just a thing I do.
Aha! Conflict of interest!! I actually tend to agree that looking at the lay of the land we may need the happiness since those trees are going to be chopped at some point and we'll need the happiness too.

I've found getting alphabet in our pitboss game was huge for trading but then again that's with 18 players.

I agree that tech is the way to go, Whomp, but I tend to put growth ahead of commerce, the idea being to work more commerce tiles quicker. I guess a lot depends on what resource is southeast of the settler: is that a corn or a sugar resource? (Can sugar even be on plains?) While we're on the topic of resource hunting, is that distortion in the picture some sort of sea resource?

Since we have financial/philosophical lizzy, I would assume our short-term goal is to hit a quick library and then academy while emphasizing cottages.

Ok. we have corn and wheat and in the water we have some fish that's all that's there

Build Queue -> warrior until pop 2 then worker. then finish warrior then get a fishing boat

Technology -> we need agriculture to make the worker useful then we'll need pottery for cottages.

Buddhism is gone since there is at least one team that will only need less than 8 turns to get meditation. Polytheism (then Mono if needed) would be a better path. I also agree with Whomp that Writing and then Alpha for tech trading and libraries and academies

I opened the save and turned on resources and the grid, then got out.

I think workboat first, then warrior, then worker? Research sailing for lighthouse to power the drive to Polytheism.

Cottages are not all that powerful without rivers and floodplains

Bede has convinced me that a work boat to completion and then worker then warrior might be the best bet.

Free food in the fish is going to be good. The worker might not have anything to do before we get him out of the capital.

On the tech front... CoL gives us Confusionism and is after Alpha. So that might be the best bet. Chopping forests don't have the appeal that they used to since the patch came out. SO Agriculture... wheels... then off to CoL via Alpha

I got it and here's the plan:

settle on the spot
start workboat
research sailing
Longer term research plan: sailing=>agriculture, then the Code of Laws path

Comments invited

Tubby Rower said:
a work boat to completion and then worker then warrior might be the best bet.
That is certainly the way that I would play it in an SP game against the AI.

But, with my sheer lack of MP experience, I have to wonder if it wise to wait that long for a Warrior considering this statement:

Kickbooti said:
I would recomend a warrior because hey, these are people we are playing, and if I came across an undefended opponent early in game - I'd take them out.

If we wait for a Warrior until after completing a Work Boat and a Worker, then we will have to keep our starting Warrior close to home. Thus, little or no exploration.

That is what boats are for...no huts to pop but hey it minimizes the barbarian risk

I would prefer another warrior before the worker. That way, 1 warrior can stay home while the other scouts around the capitol. It can also come back home if another civ trys to get frisky.

Here's a scenerio to consider: say we build the worker after the work boat and the worker is working a tile. Team B comes along before the 2nd warrior is build and forces us to guard the worker, leaving the capitol exposed. If they have a 2nd warrior nearby or are an aggressive civ, they could easily wipe us out before we can think. With a 2nd warrior, we are much safer.

Bede said:
I got it and here's the plan:

settle on the spot
start workboat
research sailing
Longer term research plan: sailing=>agriculture, then the Code of Laws path

Comments invited
I'm fine with the path, as long as there's a slight detour for BW. imho, finding out where the copper is located before the 1st settler is very important. so, I would like to suggest sailing, agri, then BW or AH, then AH or BW, then go up towards CoL via writing. We also need a detour for wheel, imho, due to lack of rivers.

IIRC, wheel is needed for pottery which is needed for writing

BW is ok, but animal husbandry isn't too important but I can see the reasons for it (ie: seeing where horses are)

If we do not have any copper show nearby after BW comes in, then AH becomes a viable alternative (either that or IW) to find a strategic resource.

If we do have Copper then I'd advocate going writing via wheel and pottery (skipping AH for the time being) since that makes best use of our civ traits.

I agree pindicator.

Writing requires Pottery or AH or Priesthood (3 different paths). So, if we go BW, don't find copper, then go AH (which requires AGR or Hunt), we can then go straight to Writing without worrying about Pottery till later. We do need wheel anyways, just to connect the corn as well as mobility between towns and if we find copper, then I have no problem skipping AH (unless we find 3 cows and a couple pigs nearby :) )

Well, AH is a lot more relevant now that we can see nearby pigs. And Pottery looks really good for what appears to be a super commerce site down by those same pigs.

Plan for T6 - keep the course. Learn how to sail and explore some more.

Comments?

Top Bottom