Discussion: Turns 7 - 20

Warrior Movement I suggest: NE Followed By SE (Keeping on the hills)

I am compiling the two possiblities for the Domestic Office as we speak :)

Alright we have two options to decide on and they need to be decided ASAP

Before I start I personally choose option 2 but don't let that bias what you think. (Option 1 is what is presented in the turn orders right now in the Domestic Office Turns orders thread)

Option 1:
Grow to size 2:
Spend 2 turns micromanaging to get more hammers so that the warrior gets produced in 3560 B.C.
Follow up with Worker (12 Turns)

Option 2:
Grow to size 2 then keep two Citizens on Floodplains growing to size 3 6 turns later, with a micromanage of one citizen on the last turn to produce the warrior on the same turn that the city grows (3440 B.C.)
Follow up with worker (10 Turns)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way we will research pottery after the wheel (the discussion for what will be enxt will follow)

Please fee lfree to add to this list of pros or cons, but unless I get a strong argument for option 1, I will change the turn orders to suit option 2 tommorow.

Option 1:
Pros:
gain 1 worker turn(3080B.C. Vs 3040B.C.)
gain 3 exploration/defence turns with the warrior (3560B.C. Vs. 3440B.C.)

Cons:
Loss 9 commerce (actually 7 ;) when you count the cottage comming out oen turn sooner)
City is at size 2 and a bit when worker comes out

Option 2:
Pros:
City at size 3
Gain of 9 commerce (well technically only 7 ;) )
(nets us pottery one turn sooner)

Cons:
Loss 1 worker turn
Loss 3 exploration/defense turns

How about...

Option 3:
Grow to size 4 and build a second warrior before starting the worker.
We don't have any amazing resources to improve, so I don't see a need to rush the worker.

I'd like to cast my non-existant vote for option 3.

The more commerce we can get out of the gate, the better. Commerce is an advantage of ours, and we need to milk it to the maximum. (that eliminates option 1, imo)

My gut instinct is that 3 is the best for two reasons:
1) As noted, we don't have any amazing resources that we're in a huge hurry to hook up.
2) In MP games - knowing the lay of the land, Identifying key resources and choke points, and meeting other civs early is an even BIGGER advantage than it is in single player.

Bottom line: option 3 looks a bit more attractive. (But option 2 would be swell also)

Option 3, for the reasons General_W listed.

It is really difficult to over-emphasize the value of knowing more of the map than your neighbors.

Hi,

depending on what we will research next, I think waiting too long with building the worker might be harmful. We have one resource to improve already (the rice), and while it's not the best of all resources, it will be our tile with the most food. We also want to have a mine on the hill(s) once the city has reached its maximum size (which will happen quite fast, given our high food start), and I still suspect we will discover more resources to improve once we know BW or AH (I guess we will go for BW pretty soon). And last but not least, our early run for Pottery only makes sense if we start to build cottages soon, otherwise it was a wasted early tech.

So overall, a worker would have a *lot* to do, and I would advocate to build him ASAP and not wait until size 4.

-Kylearan

We have a goody hut!

Hmm! To pop or not to pop...that is the question...

What are the chances of raising a barb in Civ4?

either it is good to pop the hut, do it, take the risk man BE A REBEL!! :D
if there is a barb we have the hill to defend on, thats a 20% bonus if memory serves me right (it normally doens't)

IMO the risk is well worth it. The odds of getting a bad guy X the odds of the bad guy beating our warrior that pops is pretty slim.

Of course I have lost more then one game against the computer though dumb bad luck early.

Hmm that was my first post about the actual game.

Pop the Hut, No risk no reward!!!!

We can get that second warrior out faster if it happens to be bad news (less than 20% chance)

As for city growth I will put up a chart tonight in excel format

You will see putting the worker out at size 3 does start to outwiegh worker at size 4 in commerce over the long haul.

Ig you go here

BREAKDOWN OF GOODY HUT PROBABILITIES :)

We See:

High Gold: 10%
Low Gold: 20%
Map: 10%
Warrior: 10%
Scout: 5%
Experience: 5%
Healing: 5%
Teach: 10%
Weak Barb: 15%
Strong Barb: 5%

Which means 20% chance of Bad, 80% chance of good I Say go for it ;)

Engineer Technical Report: Sicne out unit is uninjured that 5% chance is taken out the creating a base of 95 and not 100:

High Gold: 10.53%
Low Gold: 21.05%
Map: 10.53%
Warrior: 10.53%
Scout: 5.26%
Experience: 5.26%
Healing: 5.26%
Teach: 10.53%
Weak Barb: 15.79%
Strong Barb: 5.26%

So Technically it is a 21.05% chance of it beeing a barbarian :p

(However and this is unconfirmed, I don't think you can pop a barb on the first hut (I never have ;) )

You've got my vote. Let's pop the hut. Great discussion, team!

Top Bottom