Funniest Sports Chant

PrinceOfLeigh

Wigan, England
One of the best things about the English Football League is the collective humour of the spectators. Here's some examples from last week (lifted from the BBC)

TOP CHANT 1:
You're forever blowing doubles.
Liverpool fans to their Chelsea counterparts at the final whistle of their FA Cup semi-final.

TOP CHANT 2:
What ya doin, What ya doin, What ya doin Tuesday night?
Arsenal fans taunt their North London rivals ahead of the Champions League semi-final second leg against Villarreal.

TOP CHANT 3:
Ben-jani, who-ah-whoh whoh...he comes from Zimbabwe, he'll score eventually.
Pompey fans to striker Benjani Mwerawari, who finally broke his duck this weekend.

TOP CHANT 4:
We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when.
Newcastle fans have a pop at Sunderland in the Tyne-Wear derby.

It's not just limited to football however. I'm sure there are equally good chants from around the world of sport.

What's the funniest chant you've heard?

It may be necessary to explain why it's funny, just for those who are unfamiliar with your sport.

My Favourite?
Celtic fans singing after Rangers Goalkeeper Andy Goram was diagnosed as suffering from schizophrenia

"Two Andy Goram's, there's only two Andy Goram's"

Funniest lately: At a High School basketball game this year one of the opposing players (great player by the way) was rumored to do VERY poor
in school related stuff--- Our fans each time he touched the ball=

'You can't read, you can't read, you can't read.' :lol: :lol:

Not very classy, but very funny at the time.
Didn't seem to bother him, his team put our team away easily :sad: .

This year I also noticed the Cincy Bengals' fans chanting one I used to hear
when I was playing High School football vs an inner city school when their opponents scored=

'Who dat, who dat, who dat trying to be bad... hey.' :D Always liked that one.

I don't know the right adjective to use, maybe immature? But I found it funny nevertheless. After ever first down in a Michigan State football game, the student sections chants:
"one (clap)
two (clap)
three (clap)
First down *****."

One of the funniest and most famous was the Kop at Liverpool singing 'Careless Hands' after Leeds Gary Sprake managed to throw the ball into his own goal in an earlier game.

how do the fans know these chants? I mean, how do you coordinate 60,000 people to learn some of the more complex ones?

the most famous sports chant is the montreal hockey chant

Na na na na
Na na na na
hey hey hey
good bye

popularised by a tv show called Lance et compte!

pboily said:
how do the fans know these chants? I mean, how do you coordinate 60,000 people to learn some of the more complex ones?
Probably snowballs from a few people to a section then more sections until the entire audience picks up on it.

Or maybe a sports talk show host comes up with it.

pboily said:
I think some of the more complex songs are dished out in the Fanzines people buy at the stadium. The simpler ones just seem to catch on.

While this is not really a chant but it is more of by play betwen two sets of fans. I like during the last test in the most recent Ashes series when the light was bad, the England fans would all start putting umbrellas up to say that it is raining and get the players of the ground, while the Aussie supporters would take their tops off to say that it is sunny and thus no need for any stoppages.

classical_hero said:
While this is not really a chant but it is more of by play betwen two sets of fans. I like during the last test in the most recent Ashes series when the light was bad, the England fans would all start putting umbrellas up to say that it is raining and get the players of the ground, while the Aussie supporters would take their tops off to say that it is sunny and thus no need for any stoppages.
I remember that. Biased weather reporting :)

Well, at my high school's basketball games, the student sections yells "you suck" over and over... :mischief:

I haven't been to many professional sporting events though, so I haven't heard many.

It was during a Boston Red Sox-New York Yankees playoff series...whenever Boston pitcher Pedro Martinez would be pitching, the Yankees fans would chant "Who's your Daddy?".

Of course, he brought it upon himself when he said to call the Yankees his daddy in an interview :p

When Wigan Rugby League's stadium was bought by a supermarket chain their biggest rivals Saint Helens let loose thousands of shopping bags whilst singing T - E - S - C - O's to the tune of "Disco"

Liverpool fans in the last ever game in front of the old Spion Kop sang to Norwich City whilst losing "You're supposed to let us win"!

hmmm...i've heard some pretty good ones in my days attending games in Philly which is notorious for some verbal filth.

i'm not so sure that the chants were in unison or anything. i guess what i'm gatting at is that most of the stuff was heckling of which i've done my fair share (free of vulgarities of course - this is the only way the ushers and security will allow for it).

i recall one time in particular several yrs ago when i was at a Philadelphia Phillies game and i arrived early to watch batting practice. well, i went to sit in the left field bleachers which was right over top of the visiting teams' bull pen where Mark Wohlers (a since retired pitcher who suffered from a 'Steve Blass' type disorder) was trying to practice. i gave him an earful as the usher stood not but 10 feet from me! i looked over once or twice and saw the usher chuckling. it was great!

as for 'in unison' chants:

when Deuce Staley used to play for the Phila Eagles and he would rip off a nice play the fans in Philly would all chant "Doooooossss" (Deuce) and the stadium would be echoing w/ it.

Eagles fans love to chant the team song, too, during games. it's annoying if you ask me. the NY Jets have an annoying chant also.

i might think of some more in due time...

In last years champions league final, the Liverpool fans had seen AC Milan dominate the first half, and lead the game 3-0. So at half time they proceeded to proudly chant "We're gonna win 4 - 3"........and they we're almost right!

Used to love the "Cheer up, Peter Reid" chorus sung to the tune of daydream believer.

Azale said:
It was during a Boston Red Sox-New York Yankees playoff series...whenever Boston pitcher Pedro Martinez would be pitching, the Yankees fans would chant "Who's your Daddy?".

Of course, he brought it upon himself when he said to call the Yankees his daddy in an interview :p
That was definitely fun. Also, before the Red Sox embarrassed us in 2004, we did love to chant "1918!" over and over. Worked like a charm, too.

col said:
Used to love the "Cheer up, Peter Reid" chorus sung to the tune of daydream believer.
Song sang by Bolton Fans to the tune of Yellow Submarine, words may not be 100%

"In the Town, where I was born, lived a man, called Peter Reid,
and he lived just down the street, Burnden Park is where he played,
Peter Reid's got a f***ing monkeys head, a f***ing monkeys head, a f***ing monkeys head"

"Who put the ball in the German's net?
Ole, Ole
"Who put the ball in the German's net?
Ole Gunnar Solskaer"

Top Bottom