Random shut-downs

erikg88

Warlord
Recently, when I've played civ for as long as 5-30 minutes, I have been experiencing crashes. And not just crashes - the computer actually shuts down, all of a sudden.

This leads me to believe that it might be a ventilation issue for the computer and the fans aren't doing the job - but why would this problem make itself known now? I've been successfully playing Civ since release without the slightest hiccups, so what could be different between now and then?

I'm playing 1.61 and I'm not running any extra programs - the computer feels a normal temperature when I put my hand to it, and it doesn't sound like it is laboring to play the game - just all of a sudden, ZAP. Reboot.

So I dunno what's going on... let's just say I'm glad Civ autosaves, otherwise my most recent game would have been a total loss.

Thanks for any help.

Any random shutdown, not a reboot would suggest a heat problem at the CPU. I would open the case and give it a good dusting around the graphics card and CPU heatsink and fan. A buildup of dust somewhere might be just enough to tip the over the edge. Try playing with the case open and see how it handles it. I've noticed recently since it's get warmer here that my computer's CPU temp has raisen by a couple of degrees so it can be down to the room temp aswell - abit absurd I know but it could be partly that too.

Zanmato said:
Any random shutdown, not a reboot would suggest a heat problem at the CPU. I would open the case and give it a good dusting around the graphics card and CPU heatsink and fan. A buildup of dust somewhere might be just enough to tip the over the edge. Try playing with the case open and see how it handles it. I've noticed recently since it's get warmer here that my computer's CPU temp has raisen by a couple of degrees so it can be down to the room temp aswell - abit absurd I know but it could be partly that too.

Thanks very much for the post - I think you've diagnosed it correctly. It seems pretty dusty in there, but unfortunately, I don't have one of those spray-bottles that can shoot air in there. It's a compact PC, so I can't really dust without undue hassle, but I think once I do, it should be good. I tried playing with the case off, and results were pretty good - I had enough time to wipe out Hatty and half of Asoka's empires before I got my shut down.

crunch said:
vacuum cleaning, anyone?

It's an idea. Though I would think getting one of those 'Air Blaster' cans with a thin long noozle would be better for getting into the heatsink. I'm sure you'll be able to get one in a good computer shop.

I too have been having random crashes, but I only noticed it after I upgraded to 1 GB of RAM, I put back in 512 and now no more crashes???

Top Bottom