Armageddon Secundus development thread

Ellipsis Jones

True Love in the Eternity
Armageddon Secundus

I originally conceived this scenario as a battle for Hive Helsreach, a single warzone on Armageddon Secundus. It's since expanded to include half of the continent, because I realized that would allow a lot more gameplay possibilities. It's not done yet, but I hope to have a beta available in autumn 2006 (spring for you folks in the antipodes, I suppose).

The Setting and Story

The scenario takes place on the planet of Armageddon, in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. It is set during the third war for Armageddon, in which Ork warlord Ghazghkull has returned to make good his conquest of the planet, thwarted fifty years prior. More information on the setting and story is available behind the spoiler cut.

Spoiler :
The Return of Ghazghkull
On the fifty-seventh anniversary of the first Ork invasion of Armageddon, a sensor station located on the outer reaches of the system registered a titanic Ork fleet emerging from the Immaterium. The station, shortly before its destruction, recorded almost four hundred separate vessels, including four space hulks. The Imperial Navy was mobilised within twenty-four hours, and engaged the lead elements of the Ork fleet five days later.

Despite the skill of the Imperial Navy, and the command of Admiral Parol, the defenders were outnumbered six-to-one, and as they were being slowly forced back, word came from the other sensor stations within the Armageddon system that three more fleets of equal size were entering the system on other vectors. Parol was forced to disengage in an effort to save the surviving vessels of the Imperial fleet. The Ork fleets did not stop on their drive towards Armageddon, slowly but inexorably driving towards the world.

Invasion
The final preparations before the Ork fleet arrived in orbit were made with a fateful frenzy. Imperial Guard and Space Marines dispersed into the ash wastes in order for the Imperium to quickly respond to any landings made. Imperial merchant vessels continued to run the ever-closing gauntlet, one of the final ships to make it to Armageddon carrying Commissar Yarrick himself. As the Imperium's greatest expert on Orks in general and on Ghazghkull in particular, Yarrick was made the supreme commander of all Imperial forces on the planet.

After six weeks, the Ork fleet, now numbering over two thousand vessels, reached their target. The orbital battle was brief, lasting only three days before the defences were destroyed and Ork landing craft began their descent to the surface. During this time, Hades Hive was bombarded by asteroids dropped from orbit; Ghazghkull did not want to have to fight at the scene of his defeat fifty years prior.

As the Ork forces established themselves on the surface, it became clear to many the skill of Ghazghkull and his strategies. The conflict was scattered and chaotic, the conditions in which Orks thrived and Imperial armies floundered. The only group that continued to make any headway were the forces from the twenty-four Space Marine Chapters scattered across the world.

The Ork forces on the surface of Armageddon were quickly reinforced as modified Ork Rok spaceships made their landings in strategic locations around the planet. The various hive cities became besieged, and armour engagements dotted the landscape.

The conflicts on Armageddon ebbed and flowed, neither side able to gain an advantage for more than a few days. The size of the forces involved and the number of casualties on each side was immense; Imperial Guard Command on Armageddon lost track of the number of soldiers involved, and the Celestial Lions Space Marines were almost completely annihilated. The war itself stalled when the world of Armageddon entered the 'Season of Fire' (the time of year when Armageddon's eliptical orbit brings it close to it's sun), when conditions in the ash wastes grew so unbearable that both sides were forced to stop fighting, instead spending the season consolidating their gains for when the conflict began again.

The scenario begins at the end of the Season of Fire, with Ghazghkull's forces in command of large portions of Armageddon. The hive cities are beseiged and on the brink of starvation. The remains of the Imperial Guard now join with fresh reserves of Space Marines making planetfall in a last-ditch effort to avert catastrophe and retake their world.

Scenario Information

Civilizations
There are two civilizations: the Imperium of Man, and the Ork Waaagh!

Imperial units are fewer in number and more expensive than their Ork counterparts, but are also stronger and more mobile. The Imperials cannot found new cities on Armageddon while the war rages. Their workers tend to work faster the Ork grots, and can perform all worker tasks, except for irrigation (which instead produces 'ork camps' in this scenario).

Ork units are cheaper and more numerous than their Imperial counterparts, but tend not to be as powerful (though their end-game units are very strong). Orks can build Ork Settlers to found new cities. Grots can perform most worker tasks, but cannot build roads or plant forests. Orks are militaristic, so their units promote faster in battle, and their units have a chance to spawn new Sluggas (the basic Ork infantry) when victorious in battle.

The Orks have a definite advantage in army size and positioning at the beginning of the scenario, while the Imperial Guard is overwhelmed and on the defensive. As the Imperial player builds more Space Marine units and improvement, his ability to mount counter-offensives increases, and the momentum will shift.

Here's the minimap, with Orks in red and Imperials in green:

You can see the map(s) it was based on at the official campaign site if you click on the "Campaign" tab at the bottom.

Unlike the traditional civ empire, which has a 'heartland' and contiguous borders, the situation on Armageddon is a chaos of separate warzones and battlefronts. This is a result of the Orks crashing their asteroid fortresses into the middle of Imperial territory, effectively attacking the Imperial civilization from within. Some regions do have 'depth' to them and form defensive redoubts (Hive Helsreach for the Imperials, the Ork mountains and Rok dropsites for the Orks), but most are fairly 'shallow', making each engagement critical.

Economy and Productivity
While both civilizations use shields to build units and improvements, their economy and production base differ in other respects.

Wealth is the key facet of the Imperial economy. Cash rushing is more effective compared to vanilla civ3, and is required to get units onto the battlefield quickly. Wealth is also important to paying upkeep on the Imperial army. The tech tree contains several buildings designed to increase your cash flow, and workers can build roads fairly quickly - these improvements will both be necessary if you are to afford the expensive late-game units. There are also improvements which will boost your research and output from the luxury slider, indirectly helping with your cash economy.

Food is the key facet of the Ork economy. Pop rushing incurs only a minimal happiness penalty, which quickly dissipates, so don't hesitate to whip your boyz into shape. Ork workers can improve food production in almost any tile, and the ork tech tree is devoted not to increasing wealth, but to increasing pop growth and maximum city size. Drafting is also more readily available to Orks, allowing you to convert your excess ork pop into Slugga Boyz. Finally, because every citizen produces beakers (and orks have no science-boosting buildings), having large city populations is key to scientific progress.

Gameplay
Conquest is the most obvious and straightforward way for either side to win. Victory points are another possible way to win. Each Imperial hive city will periodically spawn civilians, a treasure unit which can be returned to the Imperial capital of Victorinius Spaceport for evacuation from the planet. The Orks can also capture these civilians and bring them back to Ghazghkull Rok for enslavement in the Mek Shops. Returning civilians to your capital brings VP and a bit of cash. There are also Victory Point Locations in key cities, and victory points to be gained through combat; on the whole, Imperials will have an easier time winning through victory points than the Orks will. Finally, there's a domination victory condition, which will be easier for the Orks to achieve than the Imperials. So each side will have a 'secondary' road to victory if a conquest does not appear forthcoming.

Many units are only available by building city improvements that spawn them. This serves two purposes: first, it ensures that your army is predominantly made up of basic units, rather than rare elite units like Mega-Armored Nobz and Terminators. Second, and more importantly, it ensures that the AI will have a well-fleshed-out army, rather than just building the couple of units it deems best. There is still a variety of choices in unit production, and upgrade paths exist for basic units to keep them useful and competitive later in the game.

Tech tree pics:

State of the scenario

The map is complete, the cities and terrain improvements are placed, the buildings and units are integrated into the editor and have preliminary stats, and the tech trees are done.

Still to do:
- Flesh out cities with improvements, population, and culture.
- Place units on map in a balanced fashion that also allows several tactical options (this is the hard part)
- More pedia and script text (especially the latter) needs to be written
- A few graphical upgrades are wanting, though most graphics are in place.

Help Wanted

Here's a short list of things I could use some assistance on. I'll update as time goes by.

- Names for Ork cities. Goldflash's names will do the trick. Thanks!

- Names for units. I'd like to have the units on the map at the start of the scenario bear unique names, like in the Barbarossa scenario. Any ideas for individual names or an overall naming scheme for the Orks or Imperials would be welcome. This probably calls for three different broad types of names: a regimental moniker and number for Imperial Guard units, a flashy violent name for Ork mobs, and something else entirely for Space Marine squads. Got the imperial naming schemes sorted, just need orks now.

- Graphics and pedia text for the Mars Pattern Command and Mechanized Command buildings, which produce the Baneblade and Leman Russ respectively.

- Graphics for the Machine Cult, a building which produces Landspeeder squadrons. Graphics for the Chapel Barracks, a building which adds happiness and produces Tactical Marine squads.

- Pedia text for the Ecclesiarchy and Waaagh! government types.

- Script text for both civs. This means all non-pedia messages: stuff the advisors say, the interface text, etc. Basically, I want all default messages replaced with something appropriate to each civ.

For example, the default "quit" message is something like this:
Oh No! Are you sure you want to quit?
- Yes, I'm sure.
- No, I'm not.

The Imperial "quit" message is this:
COWARDS DIE IN SHAME. Will you abandon your battle brothers?
- Never! Death to the Xenos!
- Yes, the Emperor has forsaken us!

The Ork equivalent:
Oi! Da fight's just startin'! You ain't buggerin' off now, iz you?
- Let's get back into it!
- I gotta go take care of sumfing.

:woohoo:

Wow, I feared this project was canceled! Looks great! :)

I digged out this from the old threads, hope it helps.
to be used with Goldflashs permission

Wazzadur
Dur Wumkrump
Tufkart
Bad Uz
Glunkdunga
Big Toof
Krash
Broken Wheel
Grandank
Slugbonk Pit
Gurf
Gorkartdur
Durogwazza
Zagshak
Durgubbins
'Eavy Junk
Gurglefank
Durt Trakk
Gargblitz
Unkinosh
Kramdamit
Garglemesh
Naanaff
Spikee Squig
Skrandurdump
Grakksnak
Nurdgrank
Burfle
Lurkmanik
Kopkart

sounds good! Just out of intrest, will the scenario come with 2 folders and scenarios, so that you can play one as the Imperials (with their text) and one as the Orks (with their text)?

Thanks Stormrage!

Yes, there will be multiple folders and scenario files. Happily, this won't increase the download size by very much at all, since it's just text and advisor graphics.

Haha, :D. I love humor in a scenario. The quitting thing reminds me of tjedge's D&D mod, where the option to quit was:

"Are you sure you want to quit?"

"Nah"
"Yes, it's just too hard! I suck!"

Ahh, fond memories, :mischief:. O, can we see more screenies?! :bounce:

@Stormie- here's some more ork citites that I'm using in Lord of Ragnarok. Feel free to sprinkle them 'round, :D.

Rokk Krush!!
Butt-Krakk
Beer Gutt
Krushdammit!
Gitlandd

Screenshots? Your wish is my cooperation. :)

One of the goals I set myself is to have a robust civilopedia, so each warzone has a pedia entry outlining its history.

The Waaagh Banner acts as a granary. Fast pop growth is imperative for the orks, so you'll want a Banner in each city. Later you can add a Bigga Waaagh Banner to allow metropolis-sized settlements.

The Boss Pole adds three happy faces (one for each skull on the pole?) and spawns a Mega-Armored Nob at long intervals.

Tac Marines have a different sort of upgrade path. They upgrade to Rhinos, adding a point of movement, and then to Razorbacks, retaining the extra movement and adding to their attack value.

Dreadnoughts can be upgraded to a unit with identical stats, but which has the ability to deep strike (parachute drop).

Some bigger shots:

And some map shots (sorry for the rubbish compression and occlusion by winamp). The first shows oil pipelines running from an imperial oil platform to the mainland. Oil is required to build certain Guard units, like the Leman Russ. The things that look like barbarian huts are ork camps, the equivalent of irrigation in this scenario.

Here are pipelines carrying the 'fresh water' resource, which acts as a luxury and will probably be required to increase city size. The Ork player will want to break these conduits with bombers and submersibles as soon as possible, though they will be guarded by imperial mines and patrol boats.

The Imperial capital. New mine graphics, resembling factories, are visible in the tiles around Nadala Gorge.

Sounds excellent, though it'd look far better with proper Hive-like cities for the Imperium. I doubt that many mock-tudor houses cover the surface of Armageddon!

I was also going to say that you shouldn't have Space Marines spawned, as they are actually in short supply and can't simply be replenished from season to season, but seeing that they can be upgraded to Rhinos (Presuambly meaning they can't be built normally at a certain point) shows that their numbers are indeed limited. Which is good :)

odintheking said:
Hey, you're not using actual orkish cities in those screenies! Download them here, :smug:.

Err, I thought I was using your ork cities. I can't check, though - the download you linked to is broken.

Mr. Do said:
it'd look far better with proper Hive-like cities for the Imperium. I doubt that many mock-tudor houses cover the surface of Armageddon!

No no no, it's perfect! Armageddon was home to the long lost Mock-Tudor STC, you see.

Also, I don't have the skill or patience to make something more appropriate. =(

I actually have a bit of a quandry with the Tactical Marines. I'm lacking another early offensive unit for the Imperials, so I've made the tac marines buildable for now (the chapel-barracks spawn is rather infrequent). My reasoning is that a unit of marines represents a squad, while a chimera represents a company-sized group, so even though there might be an equal number of Guard and Marine units (and an equal amount of firepower in each), there are actually far fewer marines.

If I can figure out how to palette-edit the marine units, I might set up a staggered system of reinforcements by different chapters, whereby one chapter's spawn goes obselete and is replaced by another.

I'm definitely open to other suggestions on how to handle the issue, though.

I think this is going to be cool :)

I have some suggestions/questions:
- about the gretchin being able not to build roads & plant forests: you could make these abilities available from techs that only iperium can research. that way the AI-player might deal better his workers (because all the worker actions should be flagged on worker-units).
- same goes with the imperium irrigation/orc camps. you could make irrigation available at orc starting tech, that way imperials cannot irrigate at all. And don't forget to give all worker actions on this unit too).

- graphic issues: I'm quite sure, that you can have only one type of advisors in the game - see the tech tree previews (you can't have greenskins for orks and humans for empire). So if you can, you could make some generic advisors for wh40k.

- graphic issues: All the civs in the game use the same advisor tab buttons (see the tech tree previews, on the far left the six buttons) - you can't have orky-look for orks and imperial-look for humans. Someone made quite cool generic industrial-looking buttons, you could use them. Or make your own :)

Cheers

@ Aaglo: EJ can have different advisors in the Science Advisor's screen because the Imperium and the Orks use different eras in the tech tree.

Fair enough. I can't remember when I last touched the epic game. Every time I get close, I'll end up playing a scenario, or giving myself reason not to, e.g. "There arn't any flavour units in the epic game".

Thanks for the advice folks. I have taken it to heart. :) And thanks for all the units and other graphics, aaglo!

I am planning to use two scenario files, one for orks and one for imperials, and each will have its own folder of interface art and script text. So that will allow for the customized advisors and buttons and other things. I actually hadn't thought of how the different eras allow different advisors! But if I also do a multiplayer version, I will make use of that ability.

IS using different eras for two civs really possible? When you research all of the possible techs from one era you automatically enter the next, so is there a way to actually stop one civ from entering the next era? Beyond putting in a tech that takes an eternity to build (In which case you'll get the AI trying to research it, wasting all their money)..?

Don't give them any techs in any subsequent eras, making any civ to have researched them go straight to the future era.

Either that, or balance it so that you can't reasearch all the given techs within the time limit.

Top Bottom