Why Firaxis sucks, and you shouldn't buy Warlords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombie69

Emperor
Fanboys and people who think this game is the second coming of the Messiah are not welcome here.

Post your issues with the game here, so that someone trying to decide if Civ 4 is worth buying has at least one place where he can find objective facts.

Civ4 is the Messiah and Warlords will be the second coming.

Surely nobody could possibly expect to find "objective facts" (whatever those might be, just facts I suppose) in a thread entitled "Why Firaxis sucks". How you expect any of us to give reasons not to buy something none of us have played (or at least are under an NDA about) is also beyond me.

We don't already have enough whiny threads? And how is posting criticisms of the game without allowing others to post positive aspects "objective facts"?

here's some objective facts. post-patches, i have massive swaths of black blocking out my minimap and global view in otherwise explored areas. also, reports of the memory leaks demise are greatly exaggerated, expect to save, quit, and reload a few times in the modern age to alleviate this. also, don't expect the keyboard to work properly when entering numbers in the diplomacy window, it takes a few tries sometimes. expect a diplomacy system where the AI piles on negative modifiers to players that they don't apply to other AI's too. that being said, i'd say it's worth your money.

You went about this all wrong.

First, you must file a motion with the relevant subcommittee of your jurisdiction. In this case that would be the Anti-Debate Subcommittee of the Proprietary Uses of Open Forums Committee. Once moved through the subcommittee, it must be voted on by the full committee, and be approved by all relevant directors and subdirectors.

After you have recieved approval from all relevant directors and committees, you may submit form IPF-031, outlining the subject and nature of any posts you wish to make that general members of a forum may not post on, excepting those whose comments you approve. Don't forget to submit the teal copy to the Firaxis clerk, in order to get your Post Approval Code.

Then, you may post stating your intention to cut off debate with anyone that does not agree with you in a future thread, no less than 30 days ahead of said posting so that vigorous public debate on the merits of your future posting may take place. Make sure to reference your Post Approval Code, so that moderators do not mistakenly overlook deleting posts which do not agree with your inital post.

After the minimum 30 day wait period (60 days in some cases, check your local ordinances), you may make your intended posting. Make sure to reference both your intention post and the Post Approval Code, so that others may know that 'objective' has been redefined, for the purposes of your post, to opinions or facts that agree with your statement(s).

slowdowns at the end of game are a bit annoying

but

I think this game is the second coming of the Messiah

My main complaint with Civ4 is the fact that I can play for eight hours straight without realizing it. It'll be 4:30am the night before an early work shift, but I'll just need one...more...turn...

While there is room for criticism, just because the game is imperfect does not mean that a) the company that makes it sucks or b) that you shouldn't buy the thing that supposed to improve it. It's fine to be a skeptic or a critic; in fact it's better than any of the other alternatives. However, the hallmark of skepticism is that you enter with an open mind, and insist on proof. So you DO buy Warlords, and then wait and see if it's actually better, or a bunch of hot air. Generally speaking (PTW excepted), it IS actually better, just not all it's cracked up to be. The only game I've heard as described by anyone with any taste in games whatsoever as living up to the prerelease hype was Half-Life 2, and even then that was a controversial point.

naterator said:
here's some objective facts. post-patches, i have massive swaths of black blocking out my minimap and global view in otherwise explored areas. also, reports of the memory leaks demise are greatly exaggerated, expect to save, quit, and reload a few times in the modern age to alleviate this. also, don't expect the keyboard to work properly when entering numbers in the diplomacy window, it takes a few tries sometimes. expect a diplomacy system where the AI piles on negative modifiers to players that they don't apply to other AI's too. that being said, i'd say it's worth your money.

What are the specs of your computer?

Dagta said:
What are the specs of your computer?
oops! meant to post that in another thread, fortunately, it's still applicable here, just oddly phrased. my computer exceeds all specs except graphics card. before people scoff and say "of course you have graphic issues", i had no such issues on 1.52, all the graphic issues i have are 1.61 specific. the keyboard hiccups and memory leaks are unrelated to all that.

Stop whining. If you don't like Civ4, then don't buy it, it's that simple.

naterator said:
oops! meant to post that in another thread, fortunately, it's still applicable here, just oddly phrased. my computer exceeds all specs except graphics card. before people scoff and say "of course you have graphic issues", i had no such issues on 1.52, all the graphic issues i have are 1.61 specific. the keyboard hiccups and memory leaks are unrelated to all that.

I won't contest that Civ IV seems to have some memory management problems. However, I know I can play an entire game, start to time victory finish, on a huge map, without shutting the game off and without problems.

I suspect your computer's below requirements specs have more to do with your problems than you think.

On my computer, Civ 4 runs perfectly well with no memory leaks or slowdown. See my specs below:

Zombie69 said:
Fanboys and people who think this game is the second coming of the Messiah are not welcome here.

Post your issues with the game here, so that someone trying to decide if Civ 4 is worth buying has at least one place where he can find objective facts.

Moderator Action: Perhaps make a judgement call when you've actually PLAYED the game? Until then, this thread is nothing but a flamebait. Warned, and thread closed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom