Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Creation & Customization > Civ3 - Completed Modpacks

Notices

Civ3 - Completed Modpacks Modpack creators can post their completed creations here.
Please don't open a new thread if you don't have file to post! This rule also applies to ALL other files forums. Use the main Creation forum for questions & requests.

Old May 28, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
timerover51
Deity

Timerover51 Naval Mod

Since I have posted my modding philosophy in the General Discussion Forum, I thought that I might as well start posting some of the mods that I have made for various reasons. This one is focuses on reworking virtually all of the naval units in the game to a greater or lessor degree. The artillery is also reworked, along with changes to Wonders and buildings. The changes are pretty extensive, so I have included a PDF file giving better guidance to all of the changes. There are no added graphics, nor have a changed the Civilopediea file. I have tested both on my Macs and my Windows box, and it runs fine on both. There is no preset map, so that you can load a random map chosen from the opening map screen. It there are any questions by Windows users, I would recommend checking the modified biq. file in the standard editor. For Macintosh users lacking an editor, I will answer questions, and if enough are asked I will post a detailed list of changes.

Comments are welcomed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Timerover Naval Mod 1.biq.zip (30.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: pdf Timerover's Naval Mod Revised.pdf (46.9 KB, 312 views)

timerover51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 04:25 PM   #2
da3dalus
Warlord

Just downloaded, I'll play it and get back to you in a few days. Thanks timerover51, have a good weekend.
da3dalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
timerover51
Deity

I have noticed something interesting when I play with the setting for this mod. Just about every time I build the Great Library and get a tech with it, I am also getting a Science Great Leader. I am also getting a second one during the Middle Ages on a pretty regular basis. I suspect that it has something to do with the setting combination, but I would appreciate any additional feedback on this issue.

Old Jun 01, 2009, 10:48 AM   #4
da3dalus
Warlord

Hey man, I didn't get as far as that in the game I played, I got sidetracked with other projects in the weekend but I played up until around 1785 AD.

I like how you've upped the naval units abilities, such as making the Curragh equal to a Galley, etc. It makes early expansion feasible on an archipelago map, and if you get stuck on a tiny island, it's not a death sentence. I think it's a little more realistic also, because you see examples in history of mass migrations of people (esp. throughout the Mediterannean) by sea in times before they had galleys (The Sea People raiding Egypt, the Phonecians), and even the Polynesians and their ancestors who were spreading throughout Oceana with basic catamaran style outrigged canoes.

I like also how you upped trade and commerce for sea squares, however the shield production increase makes mining and irrigating almost obselete. I don't *necessarily* have a problem with this, but it does take away the terrain improvement aspect of the game. It would be nice if you could create sea workers (Fishing fleet, etc) which you could assign to permanently work a sea tile therby increasing the shield production.

I did find it very difficult to fight a war however. It seems like defenders are beefed up somehow. I noticed that you upped the HP for each promotion level of a unit, not sure if that is why but it seems that battles I *should* be able to win unmodded are not winnable in this mod, thereby increasing the number of units needed for a successful invasion. This is perhaps something I could get used to, but I certainly found it challenging.

I may keep playing, I'll let you know if I find anything else you might find useful. I've uploaded my last 6 autosaves if you want to check them out, I'll PM you the URL.
da3dalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2009, 03:40 PM   #5
timerover51
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by da3dalus View Post
Hey man, I didn't get as far as that in the game I played, I got sidetracked with other projects in the weekend but I played up until around 1785 AD.

I like how you've upped the naval units abilities, such as making the Curragh equal to a Galley, etc. It makes early expansion feasible on an archipelago map, and if you get stuck on a tiny island, it's not a death sentence. I think it's a little more realistic also, because you see examples in history of mass migrations of people (esp. throughout the Mediterannean) by sea in times before they had galleys (The Sea People raiding Egypt, the Phonecians), and even the Polynesians and their ancestors who were spreading throughout Oceana with basic catamaran style outrigged canoes.

I like also how you upped trade and commerce for sea squares, however the shield production increase makes mining and irrigating almost obselete. I don't *necessarily* have a problem with this, but it does take away the terrain improvement aspect of the game. It would be nice if you could create sea workers (Fishing fleet, etc) which you could assign to permanently work a sea tile therby increasing the shield production.
With respect to mining and irrigation, for a coastal city, that depends on how many coast and sea squares lie in the city radius. My optimum coastal city is one with half of the city's squares on coast and/or sea, with most of the rest mountains for maximum shield production. However, right now I am playing the mod on two huge continent maps, where the inland cities are heavily dependent on mining and irrigation. On an archipelago map, irrigation may be less critical, but I find that I am always using mining. As for the Sea Workers, I have downloaded a mod that uses them, from the Creation and Customization Forum and I just need to work on it a bit, or do some adapting of ideas from it. it is designed for Play the World, so it needs to be brought up to Conquest standards.

Quote:
I did find it very difficult to fight a war however. It seems like defenders are beefed up somehow. I noticed that you upped the HP for each promotion level of a unit, not sure if that is why but it seems that battles I *should* be able to win unmodded are not winnable in this mod, thereby increasing the number of units needed for a successful invasion. This is perhaps something I could get used to, but I certainly found it challenging.
I have beefed up the defensive value of cities and defensive positions in general, and boosted the hit points for combat experience. I did not say that this was going to be easy. You may want to look at the changes in the general settings editor to see how much things have been boosted. I did a study for the Marine Corps on urban combat, and thought that it was WAY TOO EASY to take a city in the standard game. The changes bring in more in line with what it should take.

Quote:
I may keep playing, I'll let you know if I find anything else you might find useful. I've uploaded my last 6 autosaves if you want to check them out, I'll PM you the URL.
I will look at them with interest. Remember, I never said that I made the game easier. I just said that I modified it so that I enjoy playing it. Think about my background of an Army officer, military and naval historian, and someone who has studied all aspects of war from Ancient Times to the Present for about 45 years. What kind of game would I enjoy playing?

Last edited by timerover51; Jun 01, 2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added a couple of missing words.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:47 AM   #6
just bob
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post

Think about my background of an Army officer, military and naval historian, and someone who has studied all aspects of war from Ancient Times to the Present for about 45 years. What kind of game would I enjoy playing?
Princess Pony Island Adventure? 8D
just bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:33 PM   #7
timerover51
Deity

Pardon the bump. I have been having some computer problems so was not able to play for a while. Windows laptop down, and then iBook froze up, along with not locating the original case with serial number for Mac version of Civ. However, back functioning.

I never really played on a random-generated map this mod, as I always set the map up in advance, making sure my preferred starting location was good. After playing this mod on a generated map, it is hard. I did not get iron until halfway through the Medieval Period, but really lucked out with the saltpeter, as it was only a few tiles away from my capital. I am just short of the Industrial Age, and I dread thinking about coal and oil, much less rubber and aluminum.

Presently, I am in a knock-down drag out with Shaka, Aztecs are ahead on population and area (ARGHHHHHH), but I have a big edge in points. With the map I have, I am building a LOT of armies with generated leaders. That is more of a first for me. I much prefer naval action. Really sinking a lot of Shaka's galleys though.

Note, when I make my own maps, I tend to be generous with resources, including the strategic one, and I will confess to stacking things a bit in my own favor.