Biggest MP Challenge: cIV Champions League

Brancius

Chieftain

The cIV Champions League is a Tourney where the best Players out of 6 european cIV Leagues and players around the World play against each other to find the next CCL Champion. An international qualification will take place, where players which failed in their national qualification get a second chance to qualify for CCL and players from the whole world will participate also in this international qualification.​

Those countries participate:
Germany www.the-battlefield.com
France www.civfr.com
Poland www.civland.com
Italy www.forum.civilizationitalia.net
Croatia www.civilizacija.net
Russia www.civfanatics.ru

The rules of CCL: (valid for all games)
Map Balanced
Map small
Civ speed normal
Turn timer fast
No Barbs
Victory conditions: Domination, Conquest, SpaceRace and Culture
no turn Limit

national Qualification:
Members: Players of the national League
Starting September 1 2006.
Same Settings like CCL, 2 Games (1xall diplomatic Settings, 1x "Always war") but limited on 250 turns.
4 Groups each with 5 players, 1. and 2. of the Group are qualified for CCL.

international Qualification:
Members: Players who failed in national qualification, players around the world
Starting September 15 2006.
Same Settings like CCL, 2 Games (1xall diplomatic Settings, 1x "Always war") but limited on 250 turns.
4 Groups each with 5 players, 1. and 2. of the Group are qualified for CCL.

Order of events CCL:
First round: 2 Games* 5er FFA, the 1. and 2. are qualified for semi-finals.
* 1 Game with "all diplomatic settings" , 1 Game with "Always war"

semi-finals:
2 Games* 4er FFA, each winner of Groups are qualified for the Finale.

Finals:
2 Games* 4er FFA, the Winner is the new cIV Champions League Champion!

When is the qualification ?

It's on 2 dates: September 15 and September 20

How to participate?

Send an E-Mail to: bradi23@gmx.ch

With those informations:
Age, Country, Nickname

Soon the Page will go live where players can apply directly, till this point please just send an e-mail on the adress below.

http://www.myleague.com/civ4players/

The above website is to my mind the largest source of competition online and there are tournies including a major clan tournament every few months.

Setting one up with no context I think is unlikely to draw either the best or enough players...hey, one chap is setting one tourney event with cash prizes outside the ladder and it'll be interesting to see if THAT can survive.

As I can see you did not really read the tournament as you should.

There are 6 european ladders which send their best players to this tournament.

This is the second version of cIV Champions League, and nothing new without a roster or somewhat.

My opinion to myleague: Its not real Civilization what you guys are playing there. I read the rules of CCC, omg its just something like Command&Conquer...130 turns civ speed fast, etc. pp.

WE play REAL Civilization on normal civ speed with REAL Victory Conditions, we search REAL Champions...

The reason why I posted it here was to give 6 players from all over the world to participate in CCL, after a though international qualification.

Brancius said:
My opinion to myleague: Its not real Civilization what you guys are playing there. I read the rules of CCC, omg its just something like Command&Conquer...130 turns civ speed fast, etc. pp.

The Ladder CCC is a clan tournement played over a single weekend, with 3 or 4 rounds in each event & multiple events. The games have to be relatively short since even at 2 hours a round your talking a minimum of 6-8 hours for an event not counting organising & reload times.
It is what it is & isn't claiming to be anything else but I'm sure it's just as real to anyone playing it as your creation.

Well good luck Brancius getting it together.

Tell us how/IF it goes.

IanDC said:
The Ladder CCC is a clan tournement played over a single weekend, with 3 or 4 rounds in each event & multiple events. The games have to be relatively short since even at 2 hours a round your talking a minimum of 6-8 hours for an event not counting organising & reload times.
It is what it is & isn't claiming to be anything else but I'm sure it's just as real to anyone playing it as your creation.

Yes, I mean I am not judging the CCC, everyone should play the game how he wants. We just want to play the game how the creator meant to play the game, with full options and real victory conditions. Like you said, the games will take longer, around 7-8 hours.

I see that you are both from England and I am actually wondering if the English players also have something like a ladder to send their best players to the Champions League. England is kind of missing in this Competition but I couldn’t find a real English or british Community…

This CCL is the second edition and we live good because we are, like in European soccer, just the highest level of playing for all this ladders. In European Soccer you have the same system=> the best teams of the national Leagues goes to the Champions League to find the next European Champion.

We are really enjoying this, we have all this nations like France, Italy, Germany, etc participating in this tournament and its just cool for us. Here the Link to the last CCL what was played in March 2006: http://www.the-battlefield.com/index.php?page=civ4champ&game=civ4champ

Brancius said:
As I can see you did not really read the tournament as you should.My opinion to myleague: Its not real Civilization what you guys are playing there. I read the rules of CCC, omg its just something like Command&Conquer...130 turns civ speed fast, etc. pp.

WE play REAL Civilization on normal civ speed with REAL Victory Conditions, we search REAL Champions...

Who are you to say how the creator of the game meant for it to be played?

They included team settings, always war options, turn limits, tons of maps, differing starting eras, etc. in order to give players a myriad of varieties of Civ4 games to play. Obviously you are not a fan of what we play on the Ladder.

And besides, I see you unchecked some of the Victory conditions as well as disabling the barbarians. I guess you didn't think the creator of the game intended for those settings to be used much either, huh? And simultaneous turns? This is a turned based game, so maybe you should switch that setting as well to reflect how the creator intended that the game be played.

To call what I enjoy playing not "REAL Civilization" and to call the players I play with not "REAL Champions" is a total joke. You're trying to attract more players to your tournament and you just slapped the faces of about 600 registered MP players on the Ladder. Real smart move dude, real smart.

MookieNJ said:
Who are you to say how the creator of the game meant for it to be played?

They included team settings, always war options, turn limits, tons of maps, differing starting eras, etc. in order to give players a myriad of varieties of Civ4 games to play. Obviously you are not a fan of what we play on the Ladder.

And besides, I see you unchecked some of the Victory conditions as well as disabling the barbarians. I guess you didn't think the creator of the game intended for those settings to be used much either, huh? And simultaneous turns? This is a turned based game, so maybe you should switch that setting as well to reflect how the creator intended that the game be played.

To call what I enjoy playing not "REAL Civilization" and to call the players I play with not "REAL Champions" is a total joke. You're trying to attract more players to your tournament and you just slapped the faces of about 600 registered MP players on the Ladder. Real smart move dude, real smart.

Yeah, take it easy dude...I didnt slap any players face, maybe I slapped the face of admins who are not able to make a full civ game ready for their hungry civ players...and btw I am not trying to attract more players, 34 of 40 slots in this tournament are prereserved for this 6 european ladders and we have 6 slots open for international players, they will have to go to an international qualification where players who failed in their national qualification and those players from all over the world will have to fight for the last 6 places in this tournament.

...like I said I am not judging the way how players wish to play their civ..you are totaly right with the turn-based system what we do not offer, its just because games would last extremely too long and its anyway then more for Games played in PBEM.

I am open for critics, I just really dislike playing on 130 turns on civ speed fast and timer blazing...I am sorry for your 600 players in the my league construct but thats in my eyes far from the original settings.

What I can definetely say is that we are on a good way with the way we make competitions, we want to know how every single player plays and we include the touch of nations and real Communities who send their best players. I guess you can see that we are not a fan of globalization and that we want to keep specialities from every country. Players have their national ladders, to compete with international players, they meet in this tournament, that gives the whole competition much more cult and when you look around the worldwide sports you will find the same system in every competition.

Civilization is a game based on nations and this touch we want to have also in our worldwide competition. What is cooler then to play in a tournament and to have next to your nickname the flag of your Home-Country?!

So, again, we do not judge myleague players or competition, every player should play the system he likes. We also have players in our competition who play in myleague, they are all happy to join us and I get only positive feedback from them. The french ladder civfr.com has many players in myleague and I can tell you that the admin of them(and the admins of 5 other ladders) organize this tournament with me and their forums are full with threads about it...CCL rocks!

Well, both site/ladders/leagues habe strenghtess and weaknesses but they cant be compared.

The CCL is more the Civ for Players who enjoy building up, taking diplomatic options and develop their civ, its no "kick and rush", which is also ok but not the style we play.

So for all Players out there, who want long Civ games without rushing in 130 or less hours and getting a heart attack you should join our friendly and open community!

Check this friendly Community out --> http://www.the-battlefield.com/index.php?page=maingame&game=civ4

Hi,

I'm a member of Polish league of Civ4. I must say that both games settings are not satisfying for me. Both settings cause that you have to be lucky to win, your skills are not so important (of course if you know the basics of civ4).
We have different type of league, I'll describe it shortly. The goal of our settings is (beside to have fun :)) to find the best player, so settings should be balanced for players. The are only two main rules:
1) all players must agree on settings before the game is started
2) only 1 vs 1 or teamers with 2 teams and equal number of team members are allowed. So no FFA, no teamers 2 vs 3. This rule was added because the cost of techs is not balanced in such teamers.
Most games are played 1 vs 1 on map of type mirror. Type of map is "wide continents" or "sneaky continents" or "small lakes". Usually we play with "Turn Based" option and "Always War", but as I wrote before each kind of settings is fine as long as you all agree on this. There were also games like OCC with only one victory type: "Spaceship".

Take a look at our league:
1. here is current ranking table with many statistics abour our league
http://forum.civland.com/ranking.php?lang=english

2. here is main page of our forum
http://forum.civland.com/

don't worry that most threads are in polish - we do speak english, so do not hesitate to post in this forum:
http://forum.civland.com/viewforum.php?f=60
if you want to play with us. We use xfire for set up games, if you are interested, post there and maybe play with us once or twice...

P.S. When you register, you may change the interface language to english in your profile

Brancius said:
Yeah, take it easy dude...I didnt slap any players face, maybe I slapped the face of admins who are not able to make a full civ game ready for their hungry civ players
I am an admin of the afformentioned C4Players Ladder. We take input from our >600 members on what types of games they would like to see in the CCC. The lineup is tweaked from competition to competition to reflect the more popular settings being played on the ladder at the moment. We do have a full-game option, called the "Ironman." This is a full-length game, played from start to victory, which lasts all of the Saturday of our weekend competition. It is played on quick speed because anything slower and the game would last two days. It is already a stretch fitting it into one day as is.

I am sorry for your 600 players in the my league construct but thats in my eyes far from the original settings.
I am also a member of the Civ4 beta team, and have communicated with the Devs. I can assuredly say that there is no such thing as "original settings." Neither Soren nor Sid nor Alexman has ever said one setting or another is how the game is "meant to be played." Considering that many of the settings contradict themselves (ie always war vs always peace)... The developers included tons of settings for the players to choose from.

What is cooler then to play in a tournament and to have next to your nickname the flag of your Home-Country?!
In my opinion, playing with your close friends from many different countries, united on one team. My clan has members from the US, Canada, England, Finland, and a few other countries. But this is just my opinion!

So, again, we do not judge myleague players or competition
You have judged us several times.

The french ladder civfr.com has many players in myleague and I can tell you that the admin of them
I see that Matth was your last CCL champion. While he is a very good player, he is far from the bet player on the C4P ladder.

I wish you luck with your tournament, but why do you feel the need to bash others to promote your event? Especially considering you say you do not lack for players anyways. Just what were you trying to accomplish here?

One of the most insightful things Levi ever said was, "do not join a spammer's game." The same principle applies here: if you're trying to get people to join something, don't insult them!

However, despite that fact that I doubt you'll be seeing many ladder players signing up for this, good luck with your tournament :).

Speaker said:
It is played on quick speed because anything slower and the game would last two days. It is already a stretch fitting it into one day as is.

So there is no competition played in civ speed normal? Thats exactly what players of our ladders love, to play on civ speed normal.

You say you have >600 Members. When you count all the players from those ladders together you get a huge number:
Germany www.the-battlefield.com
France www.civfr.com
Poland www.civland.com
Italy www.forum.civilizationitalia.net
Kroatien www.civilizacija.net
Russia www.civfanatics.ru
Russia 1) www.civ.ru

All this communities are involved in CCL and support it without losing their Individuality, every player shows his knowledge of civ alone without Teams or Clans. Players love to play with friends in their language..that makes much more fun..so thats what they should do in their "national" ladders...civilization has nothing to do with globalization thats why its cool to hold the individualty of ladders in their countries and meet in the CCL for international games...

When you go on this links you see very much about europe, every country has his own specialties this we keep with CCL:)
Speaker said:
I see that Matth was your last CCL champion. While he is a very good player, he is far from the bet player on the C4P ladder.

Yes it was Matth in March 2006 so pretty long ago and the tourney had only 16 players, that time was with 4 players from 4 countries. But much changed and the european ladders are much stronger now. This CCL is with 40 players now and from a bigger amount of ladders/players the best chosen through qualifications.

Speaker said:
You have judged us several times.

I criticised the following settings: 130 turns, civ speed fast, timer blazing

Why can't you take critics?

Well C4P already is an international league of Civ4 MP players, so I guess because we do not represent a particular country we would not fit your format anyway, but good luck with your league, the dev's only wanted all of us to enjoy this game is anyway we want, there is no "real civ4" settings. The formats played on "The Ladder" are a direct result of the real world limitations of real time MP, while you can play a Counter Strike or WoW game completely in well under an hour a Civ game on Quick speed and 130 turns still takes approx 4 hours. This is all the average player can dedicate on a given night, and ofcourse Civ4players and it's members taylor game settings to be fun and preferably exciting within this 4 hour time limit. They may not be what your various sights enjoy but maybe atleast now you can understand our world.

Some very asute person once said that there are 3 types of lies, lies, dam lies, and statistics. Despite that I will give some insite into how we messure our activity on C4P. As stated above we have 600+ active players, today 717 to be exact. But we use the Myleague(Cases Ladder) system and we purge inactive players after 43 days having not played a MP game. This is alot different than fan sights that comprise of just a forum, you could easily say that you have 1000 forum members but how many games are actually played? Civ4players forums have more than 1600 members but in no way do I claim to have that many active MPers. The only other site that actually runs statistics software is Civfr, so it would be difficult for you to state how many active MP's are taking part in your tournament until after the dust has settlled. Some more fluff before I sign off, since we(the admin of Civ3players) formed Civ4players last oct, there has been 23,000 games played on C4P and on most week nights there are approx 70 games played per night and 90 games on weekend nights. So we all have a purpose to serve the Civers in the way they want to be. And I appoligize to the CFC admin for sidetracking this thread, but it probably should have been posted in your Other Civ-Related Sites forums anyway :p

CS

I must add that there is one more civ4 site with statistics - KAC. KAC stands for Klub Anonimowych Civ-maniaków what translates to Anonymous Civ-maniacs Club (but also has second meaning: kac as a word means in Polish hang-over).
You may reach those statistics at the address I've mentioned before: http://forum.civland.com/ranking.php?lang=english and it will show you that we have quite active club for only 40 million country: 1200+ games played (not ctons, mostly full-time games). I was a ladder player for some time (I'm still registered there with the same nick I use here) but I must say that those ctons are not for me. It's not a turn based strategy anymore, only RTS-like game. However this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree :)
P.S. I just qualified from Poland to this Champions League - can't wait to play with all of you :):):)

Sorry since I don't read polish I wasn't aware that you had set up a statistics league as well, gl with that too. You can not like simutaeous moves because they are "RTS-like" but I've played RTS games and Civ is still far from those, and if we played turn based, a 7 player cton/ffa could now take 21 hrs instead of 4 hrs, not very practical.

CS

Brancius's tournament is a nice idea, but unfortunately the English speaking world generally doesn't have "national" Civ leagues or forums, english being the international language, most english civers just belong to "international" SP or MP fan sights, like here at Civfanatics or at Apolyton, or Civ4players. We do have competitions but they are *Inter-site* Democracy Games, played by teams from the Fan sites, some of which are national/language based and others international. You might want to invite Civ Brazil to your competition, they are not european but they do have a large national Civ forum and have participated in ISDG's. I think the reason your thread recieved so much attention from us MPer's was because of the tittle you chose, "Biggest MP Challenge: cIV Champions League", I think it is a little misleading, maybe something more along the lines of "Largest National MP challange: CIV European League" would have been more accurate, it's nothing personal, but those of us that play MP every day think the "biggest" MP challanges are played every day on Civ4players :p

Cheers CS

CanuckSoldier said:
Brancius's tournament is a nice idea, but unfortunately the English speaking world generally doesn't have "national" Civ leagues or forums, english being the international language, most english civers just belong to "international" SP or MP fan sights, like here at Civfanatics or at Apolyton, or Civ4players. We do have competitions but they are *Inter-site* Democracy Games, played by teams from the Fan sites, some of which are national/language based and others international. You might want to invite Civ Brazil to your competition, they are not european but they do have a large national Civ forum and have participated in ISDG's. I think the reason your thread recieved so much attention from us MPer's was because of the tittle you chose, "Biggest MP Challenge: cIV Champions League", I think it is a little misleading, maybe something more along the lines of "Largest National MP challange: CIV European League" would have been more accurate, it's nothing personal, but those of us that play MP every day think the "biggest" MP challanges are played every day on Civ4players :p

Cheers CS

Thank you for your wise words CS, I like your opinions and the way you communicate :goodjob:

We are the biggest MP Competition, no question, in our tournament 40 players are qualified out of hundreds of active players. Just take as example our german ladder, we have 350 registered players from this number +-100 players are active playing in our ladder, 8 of them(the qualifications are still running) goes to the cIV Champions League, and, btw we have there also an automatic ladder system since civ3. So this is only 1 of this 6 ladders. Imagine now the size of our Competition. Of course in the end there are only 40 players actually playing the CCL, but they are the best ones of their leagues, participating because they beat their players in their ladder to qualify for CCL and therefore representing their whole ladder. So, C4P is maybe the biggest ladder in one, but when you count all the players from the participating ladders of CCL together, it is the biggest Competition.

Civ Players are in the average really politics oriented humans and they like to play for a nation, thats the future of MP Tournaments in Civ4 we strongly believe, and thats why its so successfull.

Top Bottom