Which civilization was greater: Rome or China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Baggins

Chieftain
It's a tough call, but I think the Romans were greater than the Chinese. If you go by military, I think the Romans win. They had advanced military tactics and strategys, and the Roman Legionarys were well disciplined and could fight anywhere. They created an empire from Britain to the middle east, and romanization completely incorporated cultures and spread Hellenistic ideas. In terms of technology, I think that China was better, although Rome was also very advanced. Overall, I think Rome was greater.

Last time this topic came up it generated a flame and stupidity falme and it was locked.
Post Fast.

Knowing how it turned into a flame war doesn't matter very much, but know that if this one turns into a flame war that it will not sadden me to ban the flamers (no I am not talking gay people). Also, if this one turns into a flame war that threads like this might not be allowed ever again, if they are even allowed now.

Just a warning.

Back to the original topic...

In my opinion, China was the greater of the two. The technical advances of China over Rome are astounding. Gunpowder and paper money, to name a few. Look at their building acheivments. The Great Wall of China was by no means a small feat. The world's largest man-made pyramid is here. You also need to look at the sheer length of the existance of these two civilizations. Rome only lasted about 400 years. China lasted 2000 years. (On a side note, the coutry longest in existence (with the same gov't and everything) is San Marino, started in 980 ad)

This title of "Rome vs China" confuses me :confused:
I really cannot think of how you are going to compare Rome and China?
The fair comparison should be Roman Empire vs Han Dynasty which existed around 200 BC to 200 AD at the height of their power
If you are going to compare with China,the fair comparison should be "China vs the combined Western countries"
For most part of the history China had the world's largest production and economy surpassing even the all the Western nation and even during the 18 th century during the early period of Industrial Revolution.

For comparing Han Empire vs Roman Empire,Han Empire had a larger population with population of 60 million people compared to the Roman Empire which had only about 55-56 million people.In ancient time you compare the strength of Empire by their population.China have the most advanced agricultural system during the medieval period.
Han Empire invented paper,tea,wheelbarrow etc which are an evidence she is technologically superior than Roman Empire.Roman major scientific achievements is said for building roads for infrastructure but Han Dynasty at that time had constructed 25 000 miles of Roads.Roman Empire and most of the West practices Slavery but China dont

I know many westerners are arrogance of the Chinese history who can ridicuously compare China with Rome.Some even despise Chinese civilization as inferior to the West,if people who are interested in Chinese history like my American friend he would admit the achievements of China with the West is equal if not superior

Originally posted by PaleHorse76
Knowing how it turned into a flame war doesn't matter very much, but know that if this one turns into a flame war that it will not sadden me to ban the flamers (no I am not talking gay people). Also, if this one turns into a flame war that threads like this might not be allowed ever again, if they are even allowed now.

Just a warning.

make threads like this illigal... and you wont even tell me HOW it became a flame war...

I'm taking a vacation from the Collesseum for a while in protest. this is the sptupidest thing I've ever heard.

Moderator Action: by PH76: Pellekan, this is thread jacking. You had no reason to post this here. If you have a question about my post as a moderator then PM me and I will discuss it with you.
Self impossed vaction? Thanks, saves me the trouble of doing it for you.
Check your signature. It is 6 lines, only 5 are allowed.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

These threads are just flames waiting to happen, and I'm not permitting them.

Talk about each civ seperatly.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom