DNES2: War and Civilization

Well, we think fairly well of the Thuleans, as they're the only ones we have frequent contact with.

We actually heard of your little advanced nation, and I believe we sent a small group to investigate this turn.

You've been studying us? Hmm, I never noticed, until I started hearing about your plumbing and tall buildings.

OOC: experimental stuff, got very big, embarrassed to be posting...

edit: Holy ****, it looks a lot bigger when its posted. NOT expecting people to read all this!

435-445 AD

Several epic wars come to an awkward halt. A welcome, but frustrating peace dawns across much of the world. The threat of plague still looms in the background, with a few thousand deaths reported across the known world. Trade reaches new heights, while not one but two centres of industry are born - shoving the world a little closer to an industrial age, long before the social structures are really ready for it...​

North Asia

Ongin Unash Quin, Ormashi traveller and merchant, 436 AD:
So, who has won this war? Its hard to say. The Tianese have control of what used to be Jara and Garuda, their armies are undefeated, their sphere of influence increased. Yet they also seem to be taking on many problems. I hear of endless troubles in the west. We will see how long the monstrosity of Gaiyvaria will last. And have you heard that the ‘final’ siege of Kaiep has entered its eight year? Such brave resistance! It’s an inspiring tale. Perhaps I will make it to Jara some day to learn the truth.

I recently travelled through Mandal Tiepe, what is left of it. Now many large new buildings are being are being erected. Wooden scaffolds and cranes are everywhere. Partly, I bet, the Tianese are compensating for the blow to their morale and egos. But also, it is the urge to create and rebuild that all men feel after the ending of war. We see this in our country too. After so many years of death and loss, it is natural to compensate by being creative in every way. Undoubtedly it is the returning soldiers who will father the most children of the next generation in both our countries.

Still, none of our great cities saw anything like what happened at Mandal Tiepe. It was our allies that suffered, that still suffer. Now I must wonder, why did we bother fighting at all? The Tianese name for it is the Ascension Wars, and its true to say their power has risen. Nothing our country did was able to stop the Tianese expansion, and we allowed the upstart Videssians to snap away at our heels.

Now I hear that discontent grows in our own land. Generals vie for power every few months, so they say, while corpses and burnt-out buildings litter the capitol. A cloud has fallen over our country. Then again, is seems there’s always been a cloud over Ormash. I still hope our country will shine some day.

Here, I am of course treated with great contempt and anger whenever it becomes known I am from Ormash. I fear for my life at such times. Mostly I try to blend in with the crowds, try to look and act like any other steppe traveller. Thankfully the war has not embittered the Tianese to the Orhadist faith, and there are many faithful in this part of Tian. This is often my saving grace when I get into trouble. But despite all this, I cannot help but be impressed by the Tianese strength of character. Their culture is truly fascinating in many ways.

There are many rugged-looking Tianese soldiers milling around. They are Veterans of the war, as you often can tell... scarred in more ways than one. I dare not meet their eyes.

I have yet to reach Aral Tiyu. I hear that the great marketplace of Tianem Square is looking sadly empty – though, given the overall size of the place, it could still be busier than the forums of Ormash itself! I also hear of Pangari scholars arriving in Tian – and it is said that the Khan himself is enjoying frequent flights over the capitol in a Pangan Balloon!

I will find out more when I get to the capitol. I have long roads to go yet. Perhaps I will be able to pay for a mediciner to look at my painful feet. They say Tianese mediciners are as good as the Videssians now. I will write more soon, if heaven has mercy on me…

Ormash, 437 AD:
The soldier returns to Ormash, the city of his birth. And in his mind, it is the birthplace of the greatest civilization in the world. Though the rest of the world has never known it. And probably wont know it for a while yet.

Kanlun Hanash spent almost five years I spent in the Ulakhi jungle, which is pretty good going. That’s more than most were able to manage before their strength failed them. He himself is surprised to have lasted that long, surrounded by constant dampness, heat, filth and disease, and all manner of things that constantly chew away at a man’s health. And an Ulaki poison arrow to the chest wasn’t good for a man’s health either...

He is glad to be back, and yet he is not. The city is more attractive to him now more than ever. But somehow it is alien to him. He wonders if that is why Elash is in disorder, for perhaps those generals returning from campaign can no longer live without death and destruction. After years of struggling to survive day by day, every other concern seems so petty.

For his efforts, he has acquired enough coinage for a few weeks of housing, food, alcohol and some light gambling. He finds a surprisingly pleasant lodging house, a room a few stories up, with a fine view. The soldier sees the great colossus in the distance. Even it looks forlorn, like it wants to fall down into the sea again…

Exerpts from ‘The life of General Aman’, by Kyrazam Strulak:
One of the most prominent cities in all of Tian now lay in ashes before his feet, its former residents tolling away in an effort to reclaim the remains of their lives. Their faces were gaunt, hollow, without life or joy. Oh, their anger and initial outrage had sustained them at first, the thirst for revenge against the Ormash vandals carrying them forward to the battle lines as they fought to reclaim their city. And yet now, years after the conflict had ended, all that energy just seemed to go right out of them. They still made time to jeer and spit upon the staked skull of General Madhava within the city square, but that fire of retribution had now simmered into a small ember of disgusted resentment. He shouldn’t have been surprised, once the satisfaction and triumph had subsided, the largely Oruist community of Mandal Tiepe had enough sense to really stop and take a look all around them…

…

Ideas, thoughts, conception, truly potent powers which humanity has harnessed in order to separate its crop of wheat from the primitive beast. Soldiers, like himself, could deal with the physical aspects of existence, accept its laws and excel at them. It was the creative aspects of feeling that imagination had to be kept out however, for they superseded the rules that governed the physical realm, and so affected the minds of those who could grasp them that they could break all boundaries in reason…

Taran Utur, Ranger Captain in the Tianese Army, 437 AD:
Its been three months since my body arrived in Kyderivam. Twelve months since we trailed the last Ormash soldiers out of our lands. Twenty months since I last saw home. My soul is till in Tian and always will be.

The local situation is still a mess. Every day, we skirmish with rogues and bandits on the city streets. Worming their way into the city from the rest of old Garuda, subverting our supporters. Garudan loyalists, Rayamese separatists, Orhadist fanatics... Otherwise known as kidnapers and bandits. Criminal scum, all of them. We hunt them down. Their corpses pile up in the gutters. Human sewage.

The day of the coronation was the worst. The royal palace was surrounded by blood and bodies by the time the ceremony was over. Gaiyvaria was born that day, yet still it goes on and on. Too many of our brave men are being wounded and killed to keep this country going. The enlightenment we offer is being rejected by most. Yet I have my orders, so I stay. The King of Gaiyvaria must be protected from this storm for two more years. This is my last task, then I am free. Then someone else will take my place in this struggle.

This city stinks in every sense of the word. Even in its heyday, it would surely have been nothing compared to Aral Tiyu. Their once-great temples and palaces are now neglected and filthy. They say you can judge the quality of the city by the prices charged in its brothels. By all accounts, this city is cheaper than most. Nothing like the expensive ‘companion houses’ back home that only cater for the aristocrats. Still, the working girls are said to be very ‘talented’ at what they do.

That is one part of local culture I have yet to experience. My thoughts are on the survival of my men, my friends. But most of all, my thoughts are on my treasured wife. It hurts to be so far from her yet again. Losing her father and brother to the Ormash raids was enough in itself. Now she fears losing me. And I fear what pain I may cause her, whether I am alive or dead.

I hear of battles being fought across the rest of Gaiyvaria. Towns being lost to rebels, and recaptured, then lost again. The war of our grandfathers has been won, so they say. But I fear our grandchildren will still be fighting it, long after we join our fallen brothers in the afterlife.

The Book of Kaiep, Day #2891, 444 AD
All our lives we have fought for this city. Our home is now a mass of smoke of rubble. Yet we have not yielded, despite their incessant plots and tricks, and their false claim that Ormash has made peace. We have remained resolute as they have employed all their men and weapons against us.

Our tower is the last stronghold left, already it is shaking and crumbling, so much I can hardly write. The demonic wail of rockets and the thunder of cannonshot fills my ears, so much I can hardly think.

Thirst and disease thin our ranks as much as the enemy weapons. All our farmland was lost long ago, and our wells were poisoned. I cannot fully describe the hardships we have endured.

We have written this book as a record of our efforts and a tribute to our fallen brothers. The end has come and we do not know whose eyes this may reach. Yet if the divine is willing, we will not be forgotten by earthly men.

For the honour of our ancestors, Jarans and Ormash, we commit our lives to battle, to the preservation of earthly and spiritual freedom. We are martyrs for the way of Orhadi. Praised by the divine. Long live Ormash, Long live Jara!

Events:
435: Peace treaty is agreed between Tian, Orion and Ormash, and respective vassal states – Tian annexes Jara outright. Former Gaurda is recognised as being an area of Tianese influence. Other pre war borders are respected.

Fighting continues for a while until news of the treaty reaches all areas, even then there are still some sporadic skirmishes until things settle down:
(Tian: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)
(Kymash: -1 Heavy Infantry. Ormash: -1 Light Cavalry)

Tianese General Aman steps down after a legendary 55-year career.

Kaiep remains under siege, and large parts of former Garuda remain in disorder.

436: After gaining nothing concrete from the war, Ormash’s leadership is discredited. Several coup attempts take place in Elash as hardened militarist factions vie for power. None of them succeed, but stability suffers, and the people’s morale is low. Trouble continues for the next few years.

The Videssians expand their existing island colonies, battling with hostile tribes. There are rumours of further Videssian and Tianese expeditions into the far north-west:
(Videssian Empire: -1 Light Infantry, -1 Caravel, -1 Longship)

There is increased Tianese naval presence in Shimazu, including trading, exploring and fighting ships. Tianese envoys compete with their Videssian counterparts for the attention of the Shimazu Emperor.

437: Gaiyvara comes into being as a vassal of Tian. Videssos hands over its enclave at Karachu to Gaiyvara control.

Tian and its allies fight constant skirmishes and battles against rebels and separatists in former Jaran and Garudan lands. There are rumours that Kymash supplies the rebels. But Ormash seems to be keeping well clear. Rebel strongholds in remote jungles and hills are hard to root out:
(Tian: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Support. Ryakhi: -1 Light Cavalry)
(Gaiyvara emerges as a vassal of Tian)

440: Nakuri tribes break through Videssian and Ryzovy garrisons to pillage the surrounding areas. The coastal city of Sigur (a former Nor colony) is plundered and razed:
(Ryzovy: -1 Heavy Infantry. Videssos: -1 Light Infantry)

441: A good year for Ormashi science. The scholar Ashar-Zeh builds on the earlier Taej and Pangari theories regarding physics and optics, and advances them further.

444: The Tianese commander at the siege of Kaiep loses his patience. Kaiep falls to a bloody final assault lasting a whole six months and costing thousands of Tianese lives. It is said less than ten of the city’s inhabitants are taken alive:
(Tian: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Support)

South Asia​

Oro, 443 AD:
The Pangari ambassador, Hago-Ne Kurx, writes home about the ever-increasing number of Ormashi diplomats and army officers in the court of Orion’s emperor. In his notes he writes of an interesting contrast between the Ormash and Orions - The Ormash dress soberly and functionally, in smart robes of plain fabric, whereas the Orion aristocrats dress in fine colourful silks and long flowing robes. None more extravagant than the costumes of the palace wives and concubines, who are treated with great respect he must add. This difference is surprising to him, given that this is the homeland of the Oru faith, which preaches against all forms of extravagance and materialism. Yet no country has ever been richer in luxuries. Hago-Ne, like many others, has never been able to understand this…

Orion has its fingers in every fire, so to speak. In recent years their soldiers have fought and died against the Tianese, Antalese, Ugasans and Gyutans. With some form of success on every front, it seem. Yet never enough to satisfy the egos of the emperor and his entourage.

As for the Great Foundries, for all their industrial novelty, these are relics of a previous age. Their story goes back almost a century. The idea was born at a time when there was a feeling of youth and enthusiasm in Orion, when the empire was blessed with sensible and ambitious leaders. Then came exhausting war with the Antalese, and a series of weak rulers. The foundries were almost dismantled on several occasions. Now they are finally complete, yet the culture of leadership has changed completely - no less ambitious, but much more complacent and content to dwell in palatial luxury than their predecessors. Time will tell whether Asia or some other region of the world will be the cradle of industry…

Events:
435: Taej forces lead by Supreme General Gao Ynying move to crush the rebel warlord of Bingol, before dealing with the Ongans and the rest of the nearby rebels. Taej Imperial rule is restored to the eastern mainland areas:
(Taej Empire: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry.)

Panga’s already-poor relations with the Taej are soured further by their harsh treatment of the rebellious Ongans, which is arguably a violation of the Taej-Pangari treaty of 424 AD.

Meanwhile the Pangans are trying to understand the causes of the recurrent plague and to find treatments for it. But no progress is made.

436: Ormash begins to exert a large influence over Orion, lending troops and supplies.

The Taej navy and army begin a campaign against the pirate kingdoms of Kousha. The fighting goes on without much success. Though the trade routes to the Ak-Dynghez are more secure:
(Taej Empire: -1 Heavy Infantry, -2 Yuan Junk, -1 Galley)

Pangari sends an expedition against the rogue kingdom of Hanago in South America. Old military hands are eager to get involved. The people are enthusiastic.

440: Other Taej forces attack the Gyutans. After Ismatan falls, the Taej move to retake all their former territory:
(Gyutan: -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)
(Taej Empire: -1 Light Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry)

Antalese forces annex the island of Sar in the Ak-Dynghez, facing no opposition from the local ruler.

441: Antalese forces invade Ugasan, supposedly to force them under Gyutan authority, thus creating a united anti-Orion front in the south. The Ugasans want none of this however. The Antalese meet stiff resistance in addition to the expected logistical problems:
(Ugasan: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry, -3 Galley)
(Antalese Empire: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry, -1 Corsair, +1 Galley)

The Antalese plan backfires. The Orions (with Ormash help) are already pressing into the Gyutan heartland, and they step up their attacks as they see they have one less potential enemy to worry about. After several exhausting battles, and with the Taej armies threatening further attacks from the south, the Orions force the Gyutans into vassalisation:
(Gyutan: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry)
(Orion: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)
(Gyutan becomes a vassal of Orion)

Officially, Ugasan is still a vassal of the Taej Empire. With the region in uproar, Taej armies stand ready to intervene. They are only held back by the desire for lucrative trade with the Antalese

443: With the Gyutans under Orion’s heel, and the threat of war with both Orion and Taej armies (not to mention the Ormash also), the Antalese generals decide they can do no good, and withdraw from Ugasan. Taej armies follow the retreating Antalese and annex the remains of Ugasan into the Taej Empire (it had existed as a separate vassal state since before 250 AD).
(Ugasan is no more)
(Taej Empire: +1 Heavy Infantry, +1 Heavy Cavalry)

The Orions finally complete work on the Great Foundries of Oro, which becomes one of the two great industrial centres in the world - the other being the Tuscan ‘Steel Works’ in Viroconium, completed one year later. However the Great Foundries are on an even greater scale than Tusca’s project.

444: After years of diplomatic wrangling, the unstable north-western provinces of the Taej Empire bordering Ormash are released as a vassal state, based on the city of Tanash. Old Ormashi traditions are revived, and ethnic Ormashi peoples press for greater ties to Ormash.
Tanash emerges.

News of Hanago’s fall and the return of troops is greeted with joy by the Pangari people.

445: An unofficial war breaks out between Taej and Tanash, as the latter offers to switch allegiance to Ormash. Tensions are high along Taej’s borders with Ormash and Pangari. Border scuffles become more common.

Middle East

Exerpts from Discourses on Rationalism, by Ivan Avaryk:
I: Again you indulge in oversimplification, while simultaneously failing to reach the base of the matter! What IS a religion? A religion can be used for personal or political aims, but then it is no longer a faith, but merely a tool. It can be used to deify a man, or launch a crusade, but then the religion fails in its original task. Every single one of the world religions has the same aim, if religion alone is included without considering extraneous factors.

S: Are you not also indulging in oversimplification, speaker?

I: No, for every religion seeks the base truth of the universe, and human existence. This debate itself has shown that the religions have failed us, for they have been turned into tools, no longer interpretations and questions. Such a mistake has lead to the death of thousands. In order to survive, the distortion of religion must be clarified.

…

I: In truth, spirit is the inner aspect. But the maintenance of the spirit is linked to the maintenance of the body. There are no enlightened gluttons or usurers. The maintenance of the body and spirit are thus inexorably entwined with direct action consistent with an ordered universe: Acts of altruism to uphold individuals and societies.

Inner enlightenment, self-control, and altruism. To this point, a Higher Power, in His hypothetical Existence, has only revealed aspects of the Greater Truth in each individual religion. But the true aspect has become clouded with illogical superstitions. A universe inherently built upon logic embraces logical actions. Here, at the joining seam of the world, we unite these aspects into a whole…

Vangyr Azic, scholar and resident of Altyn Sarai, 440 AD:
We are now in such a happy time of peace and confidence. Men can set their minds to work without fear of battles and invasions the next year, or even in a hundred years. Hard work is rewarded. Even more so is good thinking, for we have a Bazilevs who highly values the arts and philosophies.

I am a follower of what has become known as Rationalism, and it gives me great hope for the future to see this wisdom taking hold in our great empire. I can’t help but feel that we have survived all that the world can throw at us. Now our Empire, our people, having past the test, will provide an example for all the world to follow.

Long have we studied the past – more so than any other people. We can see how the slow and painful advance of engineering, science and philosophy has benefited men. It is by observing the past that we understand the concept of progress. Now is the time to embrace this progress, and not allow ourselves to be restrained by ignorance and complacency.

Our wealth attracts foreigners in ever-greater numbers, here we must be cautious. The insidious religionists should be feared – those Aeonists and especially the dreadful Theosists. They would drag us down and have us destroy the fruits of enlightenment and rationalism in the name of dogma. The tradition of Phosism is tolerable, but still poses a threat to us – the recent disturbances in our western cities are testament to that.

Meanwhile the Knights are brining the east of our empire into ruin. The once-great city of Mycenae is overshadowed on both sides – by both the growing wealth of the Tuscans, and by our own cities. The high council of Knights will only grow more embittered and withdrawn into their self-empowering delusions of grandeur, while chaos rules the streets. I can only hope that our rational enlightenment will reach them in time to prevent disaster…

Aside from the Tuscans, it is in the southern races of the world we will find clearer thinking men. In time I hope our Rationalism will spread across the southern regions of asia. Then the enlightened races will be united in peace, trade and progress. And we will have a civilisation befitting our true virtue.

Korosyr Gusan, Governor of Markets for the city of Atil, 442 AD:
Nothing irritates me more than those southern women! I speak of the wives of wealthy Taej and Pangari merchants. No sooner have they grasped the basics of our language, than their words spew forth on all manner of things, from philosophy to politics. These things have no place in the minds of women! Truly, it is a sign of the divine’s love of irony that these wearisome ladies have such stylish beauty.

Now don’t start my train of thought towards those Orions. For it is not just the females of that country that are troublesome. Those Orion traders hold themselves like aristocrats, overcharge us for their gems and metal trinkets, and cause me no end of grief.

I fear for you in Altyn Sarai. The grand canal will soon be open, and all these characters will flood the capitol with their torments! Oh where is the Spear of Tengri to hold back these violations?

Whereas an Acrian, now there is a good thinking fellow. Put your prejudice aside for these men, for I have never met an Acrian that did not seek a fair exchange. I can well imagine submitting to the Kaliate once my innards have had enough of this stressing and restless work. If I disappear one day you will know where to find me!

Letter from partition 113 of the Herakleia canal works, 442 AD:
For the last time, I cannot meet the demands placed on me. I do not expect the overseer and his advisors to be mathematicians, but it should be obvious that twelve men and a mule cannot dig two miles of canal per day. We are still waiting for the main working parties to arrive from partition 112.

Replace me if you will. You will have someone else tell you exactly the same thing, while I will drown myself in wine and enjoy a long overdue rest. May Phos preserve you.

Excerpts from the Arbiter of Antalyak writing to the Council of the Patriarch of Videssos, 444 AD:
We have far more in common that that which divides us. Centuries have past with neither conflict nor reconciliation between us. I propose now is the time to seek reconciliation…

Our faithful are dying in the streets, brutally crushed by the armies of Rationalism. This scourge is perhaps a sign from Phos that we are misguided in some areas. We are prepared to make the greatest of the changes and concessions, if you will make but a few…

Surely these tribulations are a sign that our faith must have a unity of message throughout the world. It may be a long and painful road. But once reunited, we will surely be able to gather the whole world into the light of our faith…

Events:
435: Antalese forces crack down on the Ak-Ibir rebels along the border with Orion. Skirmishing lasts for the next ten years. Despite overwhelming superiority, Antalese forces struggle to keep the whole area under control at the same time. The desert rebels are frustratingly elusive.
(Antalese Empire: -1 Light Cavalry)

436: The book ‘Discourses on Rationalism’ is widely published in Antalese Empire, generally regarded as the birth of Rationalism a new ‘religion’. Rationalism quickly gains a large following and spreads across the empire.

437: Princess Regent Irina of Antal dies in suspicious circumstances, leaving only the child Aralyk as head of Antal’s branch of the royal family. Bazilevs Stepan I of the Antalese Empire quickly moves to restore central authority, facing little resistance. Antal is reduced from a separate vassal state to a set of provinces with a few special freedoms.
(Antal is no more)
(Antalese Empire: +2 Heavy Infantry, +3 Heavy Cavalry, +2 Light Cavalry, +1 Economy, +1 Production)

440: Bazilevs Stepan I declares his support for the Rationalist movement. Ivan Avaryk (the father of Rationalism and key member of the Altyn-Sarai Academy of Philotheology) is granted extensive honours by the Bazilevs. Rationalist Conclaves (meeting houses) are founded in most cities of the empire within the next few years.

441: Anti-Rationalist riots break out in Phosist strongholds, especially the cities of Antalyak and Konya. Things get more serious as the years pass. Eventually troops are called in to restore order, resulting in some unpleasant massacres.

At the same time, The Knights of Mycenae face Aeonist riots in Tacimos and the city of Mycenae itself. The battle-hardened Knights repress these riots with even greater brutality, only encouraging the growth of underground rebel movements, and causing more instability:
(Knights of Mycenae: -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)

443: As religious violence continues, several high-ranking advisors and aristocrats are put on trial for allegedly plotting to enflame the religious violence and destabilise certain regions of the empire. The trial collapses without any verdict. But many paranoid fingers are pointed to the Orions, Tuscans and Videssians. Suspicions are also raised towards shadowy secret societies of Mycenae and Argos.

444: The Phosist Arbiter of Antalyak writes to the Patriarch of Videssos, pleading for reconciliation between the two branches of Phosism, to end to the separation of Antalese Phosists.

445: The canal section from the city of Atil to the Altyn-Kule is completed. Ships from the Ak-Dynghez begin sailing into Altyn Sarai. However, work on other sections of the ‘Grand Canals’ is moving quite slowly, and is still years away from completion. There is not much interest from the Antalese leadership (the Bazilevs is more concerned with encouraging the spread of Rationalism at this time).

Europe​

Fort Saint Laurent, 50 miles south of Nieme, 435 AD:
The sound of drums and trumpets calls the troops from their tents and quarters. They assemble by the gate. Most have already gathered their weapons and armour. Banners and flags are being held high. Surely this is it, the final campaign to drive the Theosist devils out of the Holy Continent and into the sea!

The fort commander takes his usual position, halfway up the steps to the ramparts, so he can be seen by the whole garrison. Yet there is something lacklustre in his movements. When he finally speaks, he does so slowly and without enthusiasm. When he finishes speaking, the whole fort is left in silence. The men stare absently. Arms slowly bow to the ground. Peace is declared. The great crusade ends here.

Letter to Saint Gustparsberg, from the Governor of Fahra, 438 AD:
Two days ago, a mob of wild men made it into the town at midnight and proceeded to steal an expensive amount of my prized highland cattle. Needless to say they did away with several of my guards in the process. I must protest at our lack of action! These northern thugs travel too and fro on land and sea, slipping between the remote islands in their curraghs and longboats, while honest-working men are left to suffer. How long must we endure these conditions?

Sophita Evy Nalan, wife of the Videssian Phosist Arbiter of Tanlok, 439 AD:
I was expecting hardship when my husband and I were called away from our comfortable housing at Kypas. Yet moving to Norgar has been pleasing in every way. Things are peaceful here. This is a small city that the king desires to be built into a grand capitol. Everything is earth and wood. We live in a modest dwelling, yet everything is in order. We are looked after well and my heart is at ease. The local customs are strange at first, but reward our curiosity. The local custom of steam-bathing is most beneficial to the health and senses in this cold climate.

The local people have long been faithful, yet their faith was shaken by barbarian attacks. The advance of Aeonism by the brutish Juhtlanders has been most severe. Many of the locals are misguided. My husband is very busy with his religious duties.

The King of Norgar has been kind to us, granting my husband a place at this new court, yet this seems like little more than a token of friendship, aimed at my husband’s masters in Videssos. Judging by the number of beautiful golden-haired girls and the amount of ale flowing into the royal court, it seems that faith and philosophy are not the highest priorities for our host.

Yet the local people show great robustness in the face of hardship. Im sure our soldiers will be victorious with their help. Yet I pray every day for our soldiers fighting in the wild mountains of juhtland. It is always dark and cloudy whenever I look to the east. Winter is coming soon, and it is most harsh in this climbs...

Leiondas Buranyr, Antalese traveller, 439 AD:
The sights and smells of the poor regions are most offensive to the senses. The Roviens, like most europeans, still have much to learn about civilised life. But keep to the main roads, and you will see a different city, full of gardens, monuments and great buildings. Some of which date back to the days of Saxonguile, or further back still to old Anguile. Bretonai, a beautiful and alluring city. Like a seductress... It was not built as a capitol, but the seat of Emperors was lured here in time.

The locals are very proud, and many traditions of old Bretonai continue. The sprawling buildings of the imperial court are guarded by Bretonai halberdiers, with their distinctive costumes and armour. One wonders if the ‘Little Republic’ has absorbed the Rovien Empire, and not the other way around. Maybe this is why Emperor Gabriel is building a fine new palace for himself back in Robime, the old capitol of Rovien.

There is a lively feel to the city. It contrasts with the despondency I’ve seen in the rest of this Empire. There was a euphoric wave of patriotism and Aeonist zeal last time I travelled these lands. It seems that wave broke upon Catalia without offering much reward in return…

Letter to the governor of Auxierde, 440 AD:
I speak on behalf of my neighbour, an old and embittered lady. She lost four sons in Catalia, and her husband was in Vengano during one of the infidel raids on that city, and was never seen again. With none to support her, she now struggles to pay the increases taxes that are being levied upon her.

It is not false to say that many others share her fate. So much has been sacrificed for Aeonis and Empire. It does no good for the people’s hearts to see such grand monasteries and palaces being built, especially while the Infidels are still at our borders in the south. It would surely be great service to your reputation to find ways of alleviating the burden on your citizens…

Leida Rostoli, citizen of Talbar, 443 AD:
It’s hard to stay troubled by anything here. Such lovely views from the palace balcony as I write this, such a different scene to the north… I look out across ornate gardens, surrounded by ornate pillars and shrines in the old Argosian style. Birds dance and flutter in the evening rays of the sun. No doubt they will soon be scared away when some servant rushes past on an errand. Further in the distance, I follow the hills as they roll down towards the Mediterranean, the island of Pisae somewhere just over the horizon. Things are so calm.

You’d never know that a vast Theosist army threatened our city, just a few years ago. And there’s no hint of the slaughter that is still happening in Almoth.

I struggle to think of them as the enemy. It pains me to think of what our brothers and sisters are going through. Will they all be wiped out? A hundred years from now, will anyone still remember Almoth’s songs and legends? I am safe because my great-great-grandfather was one of the few to submit. A shameful secret, one that makes us want to forget that we are Almothians too. What choice do we have but to melt into the embrace of Germanica and the faith of Aeonism…

Philas Antipather, Aeonist Cardinal of Viroconium, 444 AD:
I have spoken of the monstrous buildings which rise into the sky, more than six stories tall. Stone-and-concrete abominations that seek to defy the God with their unnatural height. Water runs hot and cold to each floor as the occupants shower themselves in mindless luxuries. Meanwhile masses of poor are left to huddle in the run-down slums, untouched as ever by the wealth and sophistication growing around them. And I must speak again of the polluted ideas which flood in from the west, and take root in the minds of both rich and poor. The ranks of our faithful shrink in the face of subversive philosophies, infidel religions and perverted cults.

Now the Tuscans add to their arrogance with fresh atrocities against the natural order. The great Steel Works light up the night sky with a hellish orange glow. It is a vision of hell itself. The Tuscans seek to rape and plunder the natural order of the universe, melting it down and remaking it in their own design.

Many are excited by this new age that is dawning. But it is nothing more than an age of acquisitiveness and greed. Heaven will surely not endure such arrogance for long. The day of wrath cannot be far away. I call upon the faithful to stay strong and resolute!

Events:
435: The Treaty of Lenierde brings war in southern Europe to a halt. The treaty reduces Umidia’s holdings on the coast of Europe, recognises the HRE’s hold over former Catalia, and promises religious freedom for the Catalian people.

Emperor Gabriel’s popularity begins to slide. The disappointed army of Aeonism begins to dismantle itself. After being stirred up into a zealous frenzy, many had hoped for both Umidia and Theosim to be pushed out of Europe altogether. While some crusaders return to their respective homelands, many flock to Germanica to help fight the Almothians.
(HRE: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -4 Light Infantry)
(Germanica: +1 Heavy Infantry, +1 Heavy Cavalry)

Under the terms of the treaty, the Acrians abandon the Almothian cause and withdraw from Europe. Some heartbroken Almothians flee with them back to Umidia or Acre. Others stay to fight to the end against Germanica.

436: Germanica accepts an Antalese-sponsored peace with the Knights of Mycenae, who withdraw 100 miles west of Liphos – still too close for comfort. The Karinthians are not happy about being forced to abandon the west of their country.

There is no peace with Talibria. The Talibrians disengage and escape with their loot from northern Karinthia. Germanican forces follow them, only to be led on a wild goose chase for the next few years through the grasslands of eastern Talibria.

Meanwhile Germanica focuses on the Almothian problem. Eager volunteers flood in from the HRE and beyond. Eventually there are as many foreign volunteers as there are Germanican troops. The desperate Almothians fight on for years against overwhelming Aeonist forces. Once again, most choose death rather than submission:
(Germanica: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)
(Seculia: -1 Heavy Infantry)

437: Most of conquered Catalia is reorganised into a vassal state of the empire, under the command of the Gallic Knights.
(Gallic Knights are no more, Gallica emerges as vassal of HRE)

Several branches of the Gallic Knights get themselves into trouble by refusing to accept Theosim in Catalia and by persecuting local peoples. Local Theosists form their own guerrilla groups for defence. The disturbances attract more disgruntled Aeonist fanatics from all over europe. Rovien Imperial forces have a tough time in keeping order, and find themselves fighting both Aeonists and Theosists:
(HRE: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)

Rovien disillusionment is countered by a growth in prosperity. Emperor Gabriel’s reputation begins to recover, as great efforts are underway to repair and rebuild the expanded empire. The road network is improved. Many magnificent monasteries are built to celebrate Aeonism’s ‘victory’.

438: The Thuleans begin to crack down on the rebellious ‘wild’ picts of the Hebridean islands. Over the next few years, entire clans are uprooted and exiled to North America:
(Thulean League: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Galley)

439: Videssian soldiers invade Juhtland with a surprisingly large army. Norgar joins in the campaign. Juhtland has only a few Germanican volunteers in support. A steady trickle of more Aeonist volunteers arrives over the next few years. But, as determined as they are, the defenders remain hopelessly outnumbered. Meanwhile lack of supply and disorganisation are the biggest problems for the attackers. Despite the best planning, things begin to go wrong for the Videssians due to the distances and numbers of troops involved. After years of bitter warfare, the Juhtlanders are pushed back to their capitol (Erborg). The Videssians suffer a high rate of attrition:
(Videssian Empire: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry, -1 Caravel)
(Norgar: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Longship)
(Juhtland: -1 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry, -2 Longship)

The Germanicans capture the city of Konig from Talibria, following a very one-sided battle. Hordes of light spearmen and swordsmen are defeated by the superior weaponry of the Germanicans on this occasion:
(Germanica: -1 Light Cavalry)
(Talibria: -1 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)

Germanican colonists set out for the new world!

Work beings on the ‘Palace of Roves’ in Robime, intended to be a huge marble palace, the likes of which have never been seen before. Rovien’s citizens don’t know what to make of this project – especially as extra taxes are introduced, apparently in order to pay for it! The Emperor’s reputation begins to decline yet again.

440: Most of occupied Catalia is reorganised as a vassal state of the HRE, combined with some of the Knight’s original lands. The new vassal state is named Gallica. Controversy, instability and violence continue to plague the area.

441: The last Almothian strongholds in the east are destroyed. Thus ends almost a century of Almothian rebellion. Almothian culture hovers on the edge of extinction - those living in Umidia are increasingly assimilating into local culture. The small city-state of Almos survives, but it is no longer a centre of Almothian culture. The are is increasingly under Tuscan influence, and serving as a buffer state between Tusca and Germany.

The legendary Pictish bandit leader, ‘Black’ Hamysh, is ambushed and killed by rival clansmen allied with the Thuleans. Rebel Pictish fortunes are in steep decline.

442: A Freilandic astronomer by the name of Aeonopher Coperngorn, while working in Germanica, publishes the most detailed and accurate theory yet on the motion of the planets. At least, the most accurate in europe - according to the writings of Pangari travellers, the Zocon peoples of South America seem to have similar mathematical knowledge, somehow acquired at some time in the distant past…

444: In Viroconium, the Tuscan Steel Works begins production, the second great industrial site to emerge (Orion’s great foundries were completed the previous year). Viroconium’s output of metal soon exceeds most of the major European cities combined. Tuscan metal goods begin to flood the Mediterranean and mainland European markets.

A ‘stock market’ opens in Saint Gustparsberg, where citizens can invest in colonial and trading ventures. The Umidian trading guilds are also represented here.

Euris Ocean​

Cargo log for the Tosess ‘Light of Fairan’, recorded after docking at Saint Gustparsbeg, 443 AD:
Bulkages:
10 Ton sawn timber, Moray, Kellhauk
6 Ton tobacco, Moray, Mahutan
5 Ton sugar, Noagar
3 Ton furs, Kellhauk
2 Ton tropical fruit preserves, Noagar
1 Ton rum, Noagar
1 Ton Uhisgey, Mahutan
1 Ton tea, Kabu
1 Ton iron ingots, Moray
1 Ton ales, Mahutan
Particulars:
Silver, Mahutan
Silk garments, Kabu
Precious Stones, Kabu
Taej prayer statuettes, Kabu
Taej porcelain, Kabu
Ormashi ornamental weapons, Kabu
Pangari texts, Kabu
Pangari metal tools, Kabu
Rares:
American and Yihamcoross plant samples, for attention of the Academy of Science

Last words of King Hazelko I of Ohukal:
I have no need for your God. I have no guilt. I am at ease. Now do as you must!

Events:
435: Torturous negotiations begin between the Thuleans, Umidians and Acrians. The exchanges continue back and forth for five years, while war continues in the Euris Ocean. The main sticking point is the fate of Ohukal.

As rumours of peace begin to spread, things only get more frantic. Privateers on all sides hunt for one final prize before the war ends. The last five years see the most ambitious and daring raids by both sides:
(Thulean League: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Tosess, -1 Ship of the Line, -1 Galley)
(Kaliate of Acre: -2 Khima)
(Umidia: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Galleon, -1 Caravel, -1 War Galleon)

437: Umidian captain Atatane returns from north-west America with one of the biggest single hauls of the war. He captured several Thulean traders with his ‘fast galleon’ and evaded the many Thulean privateers on his tail. His exploits are widely publicised in Umidia and Acre – mainly because no other Umidian privateers have similar success.

438: Acre’s privateers have their biggest success in the Yihamcoross region. But in a series of incidents they manage to upset both Kopeng and Pegu.

439: Legendary Thulean captain Kingross Vasa is killed during a raid on Zinqu, a struggling Umidian colony far to the south-east of Ohukal. Vasa is credited with the capture of over thirty Umidian and Acrian ships, and the pillage of four Umidian colonies during his lifetime.

440: A peace treaty is finally agreed between the Thuleans, Umidians and Acrians. It takes the best part of a year for news of the treaty to reach all areas of the ocean. Roughly speaking, the treaty divides the Euris Ocean into Thulean and Umidian/Acrian areas of influence, much the same as they were at the start of the war in 375 AD. Though in reality, much more has changed besides mere territory.

The Umidians are also forced to pay huge sums of money to the Thuleans, a point which causes the most anger in Umidia when it is revealed later. It is also rumoured that the Thuleans re-invest some of this tribute in the Umidian trading guilds.

The Ohukal regime is granted no protection by the treaty. Eager to avoid re-occupation, the Ohukals pay tribute and force their King to surrender himself to the Umidians. During the voyage, it is said the king tries to poison himself and his Umidian guards, to no avail. He is taken back to Umidia and publicly beheaded in the centre of Oryx. Yet, it becomes clear that the Umidians still intend to reoccupy Ohukal. The weakened leadership of Ohukal does its best to organise a defence.

Thulean troops renew the struggle to control Ember. The Umidians withdrew as per the treaty, but local rebels (many Theosists among them) show no signs of caving in:
(Thulean League: -1 Light Infantry)

441: The end of the war leaves many former pirates and privateers floating around the ocean, with mixed background and loyalties. The Ohukals try to hire some of these mercenary ships to attack the Umidian coast, with slight success:
(Umidia: -1 Galley, -1 Galleon)

The Thuleans begin a campaign to clear pirates from the Yihamcoross, now that they have served their purpose. The traditional piracy is hard to eradicate but within a few years the area is no longer a pirate haven. Many former pirates seek to join the Thulean navy:
(Thulean League: -1 Tosess, -1 Ship of the Line, +2 Ys Sloop, +1 Light Infantry)

A growing Rovien presence is noted on the ocean, as Emperor Gabriel commissions the exploration and charting of the western world.

442: The Umidians invade Ohukal, sweep aside the defending army and enter the capitol (Kaluna). Umidian sympathisers and Theoist fanatics spring up everywhere along the way to support the invaders.

The presence of many Thulean navy ships is beginning to be noted in the southern regions of the ocean. Southern trade routes now receive extra protection from well-organised Thulean squadrons stationed at the Thule-friendly countries of Tanyis and Zhizhou.

443: The Ohukals make a last ditch attempt to repel the Umidians. They lay siege to their own capitol, using Umidian-made cannons, and come close to wiping out the Umidians within. Kaluna goes up in flames.

The Acrians, already enroute, now arrive with a large fleet and army of their own. They quickly rush to break the siege of Kaluna. The brave forces of Ohukal come under attack from all sides and are scattered. Theosist rule is restored, and the country becomes a Umidian puppet once again, though some would say the Acrians now have greater influence! Bands of die-hards retreat into the north-east:
(Umidia: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Support. Kaliate of Acre: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)
(Ohukal: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Support)
(Ohukal becomes a puppet of Umidia)

444: Signs of Umidian trade recovery: Taphi (Umidian colony just south of Ohukal, founded roughly 300 AD) records its highest trade income for 50 years. However, this has much to do with Thulean investors! While both sides benefit, many Umidians are concerned by the growing Thulean influence over the remains of their trading guilds. Meanwhile the Thulean ports in North America continue to reap far greater profits than Umidia’s colonies.

Africa

Exerpt from ihb-Evaz al’Ismail- “The Life of Ismail”:
“The desert was my considered home; the only place where I felt in tune with the surrounding world. I assume it was only natural, considering my early life and the effects it had on my development Even in these last few years I have known, Kam Ekar pails in comparison to my homeland. To me, there is something special about the desert that can never truly be fully explained. How do you put in words the joy one gets when they see the vast, endless, expanse of life created by the Divine? How do you put in words the joy of knowing something that knows no ends, something than transcends the laws handed down to us?”

Adioza, formerly Tergamon, 437 AD:
Arsec al'Tyan enters the city of Terg-Amon, which by order of the Corporal Leader he is to rename Adioza. He walks on a red carpet of metal and flesh, extending from the breech in the wall to deep inside the city. The carpet is of course made from the remains of battle. Too many brave Theosist dead lie among them. Too many of his veterans from the Almoth campaign. The ‘Terghis’ put up a good fight. He curses their stubbornness one last time, as he watches captured guns and strange-looking ballistas being taken away.

Arsec looks at the pillared temples and buildings, their white stone contrasting with the thick black smoke rising into the air. The atmosphere of this city does not speak so loudly of his continent. It speaks of arrogant Mediterranean empires of the past, long since fallen from power by the will of Eos.

The city is home to many heathen cults. Even to describe their activities is an offence to Eos. And the people are as arrogant as those old faded empires. Yet if Eos is willing, Arsec hopes, he will teach these people the benefit of submitting to Divine will.

Other cities are left to capture. The task goes on…

Atut Teph Hani, Umidian soldier, 445 AD:
I cannot forget the moment I head news of Ismail’s death. It was exactly one year ago. We were camped in the mountains north of Kaisir, huddled round a small fire that failed to keep out the evening chill. We had just set out on campaign against the Segu. Whether or not my comrades cared much for Acre’s Herald of Peace, all of us were alarmed. It was not an auspicious start. And indeed, things did not go well from then on.

Nine years before, I had been on Aragan, when we were forced to abandon that island and hand it back to the Rovien Infidels. That was a bitter day for a soldier. But this was much worse. As a Dareh, I cared more for Ismail. And as one who is always looking deeper into things, I worried what would happen to the Kaliate, and what that might do to the great continent as a whole. Secretly, I was one who had hoped for a future of unity between all countries of our faith. Suddenly divisions were everywhere.

One year on, I am back on campaign in Segu lands, trying to survive this war. There is much uncertainty. I keep my thoughts to myself. I pray that the next year will see an end to all this. I hope Eos will answer my prayers, and not listen to my fears instead…

Events:
435: News of peace in the north is greeted with disappointment by many. Ismail cannot claim this as a victory for the faith, and the seeds of doubt are planted.

The news is greeted with outright despair by the Almothians. Acrian and Umidian troops return from Almoth, brining many refugees with them:

Acrian forces immediately set about dismantling the last independent kingdoms and city states in north-west africa. Not an easy task – Tergamon continues to arm itself with Tuscan weapons and sympathetic Mycenean mercenaries, and Beer Sheva continues to resist fanatically. After ten years of fighting, there would still be independent resistance at the city of Jerus:
(Kalaite of Acre: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -2 Light Cavalry, -1 Galley)

436: As Umidia’s army returns from europe, Umidia renews its hostile stance towards the Segu.

437: A year passes without any major change of borders in the warring southern islands, marking an unofficial end to war between Tanys and Zantlwan. Tanyis pauses to consolidate its gains, and continues to encourage Tarrism as a counter to Theosist pressure. Zantlwan leans more towards Acre.

438: Thulean raids on the Umidian coast reach their peak.

440: News of peace with the Thuleans in the Euris Ocean is not greeted with any more joy. Umidia’s King Ahdman is perceived as being weaker than ever. He struggles to hold onto power as another series of plots and uprisings takes place. The public execution of Ohukal’s rebel king provides little relief for Ahdman.

Following the enthusiasm of Ismail’s early reign, the fragile Theosist unity inside Umidia begins to break down. There are battles between Mahal and Dareh factions (Mahal being the original ‘orthodox’ version of the faith, favoured by Acre). Frustrated Umidians begin to resent Acre’s influence of their country.

Having survived the war against the Thulean League without much hassle, it is only now that the Ultimist populations in the coastal regions of Umidia face attack from all kinds of Theosist extremists.

441: The Umidians make a show of sending an impressive expedition force to Ohukal, partly as a way of instilling confidence in their own people.

442: Increasing Thulean influence is noted in Tanyis. Thulean ships are soon in the service of the Tanyis navy. All this causes more tension with Acre and the Sulchan League.

443: Acrian forces send their own expedition to make sure Ohukal falls – sending as many men as their Khimas can carry. Umidia is upstaged yet again!

444: Ismail al’Zaiye dies, sending shockwaves across the Kaliate. His rule lasted less than thirty years, yet he transformed much of Africa in that time. Officially, Ismail’s son Mahmud inherits the realm, as he is proclaimed the second Herald of Peace.

Meanwhile, with the Ohukal situation resolved and stability slowly increasing, Umidia steps up its attacks against the Segu:
(Umidia: -1 Light Infantry)
(Segudah: -2 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)

445: A tense year for the Kaliate. Rumours fly everywhere. It is not yet clear if Mahmud can inherit the Kaliate intact.

North America

Three hundred miles west of Kemperof, 440 AD:
Two Tosess drift across the Euris Ocean. The ships are Thulean made, but fly the flags of Germanica and the Serpent-Sea port of Oldenburg. The crossing of the Euris sea is never easy, but these ships have had the misfortunate to encounter a storm of unusual proportions. The masts of the two ships are buckled, sails and rigging tangled on the deck. The crew work feverishly to salvage something from the mess. A third ship set out with them – it now lies somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, along with many of its crew.

A Thulean ‘Cormorant group’ approaches. A crescent-shaped formation of various ships, the largest in the centre - a Ship-of-the-Line and a ‘Geariss’, the most modern of the Thulean warships. Smaller Sloops and Tosessi make up the flanks. All are armed with cannons of varying sizes, the larger ships also have steam-catapults with the potential to lob a deadly assortment of projectiles…

War is still being fought on the ocean. One of the Thulean captains meets with the Germanicans, and gives them an offer they are hardly in a position to refuse – protection and a tow to the nearest Thulean port, in return for a ‘moderate’ share of their cargo. Cargo which was supposed to support the founding of a Germanican colony…

Gus Jurii, Thulean writer, 440 AD:
Thuleans, Picts, Freilanders, Roviens, and many different native peoples from the colonies have all settled here. I am in my tenth year in Mahutan, which makes me more of a native than most.

The port has never seen so many ships. It seems we have trade from all corners of the world. Yet I hear so much about the new mainland colonies, I wonder how much longer this island will be blessed with wealth.

I recently picked up an interesting Pangari book on American animals and plants. The Americas have many great animals I will probably never see. Have you heard of these creatures, the Quillin? The body of a horse, yet with a neck taller than a house. You have to go deep into the wild lands of the south continent to see them. Though I hear so many are being captured for the animal-houses of Pangari, that soon no more of them than exist in the Americas.

Very warm winds blow this time of year, making the blood rise in every sense of the world. The city’s brothels and alehouses - if such a distinction exists - make great business these days. Especially as there is an influx of sailors and soldiers from all over the ocean. Now that the Second Eurisian War is over, our League will no doubt expand further into the continental wilderness.

The ‘Sea Dragons’ in arms are quite a sight. Half clad in metal, half tanned skin, muscle and tattoos. They carry swords, axes, flails and blades of all kinds. Not to mention pistols and grenade-pots. They have feather headdress and warpaint like the native cultures, a tradition introduced by the many native recruits in their ranks. They are a fearsome sight. The streets always go quiet when these men march through...

Native account of the battle of Sawa, 441 AD:
We waited until one of every two was on the far riverbank. Then our wolves pounced on them. They didn’t think we wanted to fight anymore. They thought we were scared. They became pride-crazy. When they saw our fierceness and our numbers, they understood their mistake. They were shaken. They lost the use of their minds. All that was left was to make them lose their bodies too. Some went into the river to drown. Their horses went crazy. We counted the dead Thulemen like fallen leaves. This was Running Wolf’s great victory…

Events:
435: Ryakhi ships carry Tianese troops to raid the Garudan colonies and carry out general piracy. Ryakhi’s seafaring efforts remain clumsy, but they slowly gain experience as the years pass. The Garudans colonists begin to band together for defence:
(Ryakhi: -1 Kanmoyu, -1 Caravel. Tian: -1 Heavy Infantry)

The colonists refuse to hand over the last surviving members of their royal family. In any case, it is said they live as humble peasants and have long since blended into the rest of the struggling population.

436: Thulean soldiers, traders and colonists advance on several fronts across North America. The natives treat thulean demands for land and assimilation into the League with ever growing hostility.

As the Thuleans close in on all sides, the HRE asserts its influence over the colony of Saint Rene, with an influx of colonists and new investments.

438: Pangari colonists settle on the east coast, founding the town of Engui, some distance north of the Garudan colonies.

Silash, Ormash’s nearby colony, is slowly expanding with a trickle of refugees from Jara and Garuda. The colony is given great freedom, but is still too small to stand on its own.

The two main groups of natives on the east coast - the Hanil and Taroq - become increasingly hostile to all these intruders.

Ormash ships skirmish with the Ryakhi off the coast, as it becomes clear that the Ormash are helping to supply the Garudans with food and basic supplies – Something the Tianese can tolerate from the Pangans, but not the Ormash:

439: Most of the Ohiwa tribes become willing vassals (a ‘protectorate’) of the Thulean League. Others further inland choose to join the Imawa.
(Ohiwa emerges as a vassal of the Thulean League)

440: Germanican colonists arrive in the new world! The colonies of Ostenburg and Sankt Belda are founded. They are heavily dependent on Thulean goodwill. Ostenburg struggles to survive over the next few years, and is a long way from being profitable. Sankt Belda is a little more successful.

However, both the Germanican and Rovien colonies are basically under the control of the Thulean trade system in North America.

441: The Battle of Sawa. Thulean forces are ambushed by a mass of hostile natives deep in Hanawauk territory, and suffer a bad defeat, despite having a large advantage in terms of weaponry. Native chief ‘Running Wolf’ gathers more warriors to his cause. Thulean expansion is halted here, at least for a while:
(Thulean League: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)

Meanwhile the old Hanawauk costal city of Nawa is renamed Nuys (meaning ‘New Ys’). With investment, it begins developing into a trade centre to rival Mahutan.

442: There are growing Thulean activities in the ‘Hussi Straights’ passing over North America – a hazardous voyage, still uncharted by all except the Thuleans. An alternative trade route is established, going from the northern Thulean colonies to the western Videssian Empire, Shimazu and Tian (via Tian’s vassal ports).

443: Hocatelco continues its cautious belligerence against the lands of the Garudan colonists, capturing more lands around Taruda. But at the same time, the Hocatelcans seem to open up to more foreign trade and contact.

South America

Hanhe Tanik Ano, Pangan adventurer, 436 AD:
The native peoples were most impressed by our operation of a hot-air balloon in this valley. This has conferred an almost godlike image upon us. I dare to say I was proved right when I insisted on hauling this equipment with us…

Zocon writings are truly fascinating. It took me over ten years to gain enough trust to be taught their meaning by the elders. Even then, I was left to decipher much on my own. Five more years later, I finally compiled a translation of their ancient texts, which I submit in this volume...

Two chapters stand out: one deals with the movement of the planets around the sun in explicit detail. They list several planets that we have yet to recognise, something which I understand has caused controversy back home. It is suggestive of a great and cultured civilisation previously existing in this region, perhaps even rivalling that of ours today.

The second prime is a detailed record of ancient disasters, speaking of great convulsions of the earth, and flooding of coastal regions. I cannot be sure of the timing, but I place these events to over five thousand years before the present. It is interesting to note the concurrence with similar legends and folklore in many other countries, including our own I hasten to add. What is worrying is that the Zocon insist these disasters happen on a regular interval of roughly five thousand years, which supposedly ties into various alignments in the planets and stars…

Now I have committed myself to aiding the defeat of the kingdom of Hanago, and I have retuned the dangerous world of tribal politics in order to gather more recruits for our cause. I fear I may never be able to resume my work...

Events:
436: Pangan troops arrive, and join up with Pegu’s army for a campaign against the rogue kingdom of Hanago. The mountainous terrain is the defender’s greatest weapon - the attacker’s is propaganda and civil unrest against the autocracy. Panga’s troops use tethered hot air balloons to make observations and navigate through the mountains. Still the going is tough and success is not certain:
(Pangari: -1 Light Infantry. Pegu: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry)
(Hanago: -1 Light Infantry)

437: After years living with the Zocon and studying their ways, Pangan adventurer Hanhe Tanik Ano arrives in the rear of Hanago with an army of enthusiastic Zocon recruits. The kingdom of Hanago quickly collapses to the two-front assault. The Hanago king slips away through the mountains, and flees into exile in Chimuko.
(Pegu: +1 Light Infantry)
(Hanago is no more!)

438: Zhizhou makes an alliance with neighbouring chiefdoms to contain Pangan/Pegu expansion.

Zhizhou renews its attack on Chimuko, the fighting lasts several years.

441: Zhizhou’s campaigns in southern Chimuko are brought to a halt. The Chimuko army achieves victory in a fierce battle:
(Zhizhou: -1 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry)
(Chimuko: -2 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry)

442: Mahal Theosim gains a foothold in central Chimuko, the emperor is forced to permit the building of an Ihali in the city of Uxil.

443: Kabu, Kopeng’s prosperous island trade city at the mouth of the Hocatelco straights, burns to the ground after months of violent rioting, sparked by its many ethnic and religious divisions. The rise and fall of this famous trade centre lasted little more than 30 years.

Tolmecahu’s borders expand to meet the struggling Acrian colony of Najran. Peace holds, but Theosim is not accepted by the Tolmecs.

444: The rest of Kopeng’s eastern territories collapse into anarchy. Their annexation by Pegu seems likely, but this has yet to happen. A resurgent Hocatelco also threatens action with a steadily increasing navy. Meanwhile, Theosist factions begin to take over the ruins of Kabu:
(Kopeng: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Caravel)

NPC Diplomacy:

To Tian
From Ryakhi

Hail to the great Khan! Our king intends to build a new palace and a place of scholarship at the city of Mataras. We request Tianese money, craftsmen and scholars to make this happen.

In return, our king offers to withdraw any claims to the land we captured during the war with Ormash and Garuda. He offers Tian control over those lands (the city of Khanapor, and the lands between the coast and the Naman river).

To Thulean League
From Hocatelco

Greetings are sent to the Lord Protector. Times are changing. The minds of men change. Our God King suggests an alliance between our peoples. Thuleans will have trade privileges in our cities. In return you will assist us with weaponry and engineering. Please give this proposal enough thought until you see the true wisdom of it.

To Antalese Empire
From Taej Empire

Your interference in South East Asia is not welcome. Our weakness is no more. We hope you will recognise that Ugasan is within our sphere of influence. Orion’s occupation of Ugasan’s northern lands is another matter. For the sake of trade and peaceful balance in the world, we hope you will cease such reckless actions.

To Ormash
From Tanash

Let the sons of Ormash be reunited! We request that Ormash grants us status as a protectorate.

To Ormash
From Taej Empire

We are prepared to allow Ormash power over Tanash, that is if you can offer us something in return. Perhaps [roughly 1 economy level] in tribute would be fitting. Otherwise we will have no hesitation in punishing these rebellious peoples.

Notes / Map

Edit: Stats updated, new map version, PM's sent shortly

Story bonuses: ~Darkening~, Thlayli and KrimzonStriker. As you can see, I’ve used parts of their stories in the update. I hope that’s OK. They are good enough to post lots of times :)

The east and west oceans are now called the Euris and Zeryis oceans. These are Thulean names (based on old ‘Argosian’) which Disenfrancised has provided.

@Thayli, the Grand Canals haven’t finished yet because they are an uber-wonder and you haven’t put any spending points into them. They will complete by themselves at some point (especially if next turn is a BT lasting a long time!). But using spending points on wonders will really speed them up.

@Terrish, Im about to send you a PM about your projects and stuff.

@Lord_Iggy, the southern island with Taranash on it is basically glaciers, there’s no benefit to expanding there. The colony just serves as a supply spot for fishing and whaling etc.

@All, any feedback on this style of update would be greatly appreciated. I really wanted to try something new, again. It took me a while to get into it, but I found this to be the most natural way of updating so far. Using imaginary people’s perspective allows me to be inaccurate, biased, etc instead of trying to be some godlike authority :) Im embarrassed by the size of it (embarrassed by it in general), but thought I might as well post everything I wrote instead of cutting things out.

…

Well that’s it for this IT, many many thanks for all the input so far :salute:

Unless there are any objections, next up is a ‘boring time’, maybe lasting a century or so. The exact length will depend on people’s orders etc. I haven’t got anything planned out yet, just a few ideas for the NPCs.

Coming soon: Awards for this IT. And an explanation of what kind of orders are required for the boring time. And also some ideas on rule changes for the next IT which I would like opinions on.

>*Terrain Map*<

>*Religion map*<

Political map attached:

Attachments

• DNES2m23ba.png
    DNES2m23ba.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 357
all done, really need to get to sleep now. will sort stuff out later. thankyou :ninja:

As always quite an amazing update. I loved the stories.

To Juhtland
From Videssos:

For peace we simply ask you renounce your claim on the Crown of Norgar. We offer this as our land offer for peace. The top is original borders, the middle is current, and the bottom is our compromise.

Attachments

• compromise.PNG
    compromise.PNG
    40.8 KB · Views: 85
Excellent update! :goodjob: I do fear that I may be slipping in terms of technology... time for some more stories!

Excellent update, Daft! Though the Atil/Altyn-Kule canal section looks kind of unfinished, while the update said that it was completed.

The new style of update is really good...reminds me of BirdNES a little. Expect more Discourses on Rationalism soon.

The only thing I've seen wrong with the update was that the Okuhalian king was to be executed in either Saruk or Xhose, but I'm still happy. Great job and well done.

To Antalese Empire
we have become worried concerning the resend disruptions by the knights. their ever increasing brutality and in-ability to properly manage their own internal state of affairs is starting to become alarming to us.
thus, we wish to inquire if you plan to do anything to reign them in, and if so, is there anything we can do to assist you in this matter?

OOC: reply shortly daft. great work in the update daft.

To: Tusca

We assure you that the disturbances will be brought under control. Rather than blaming the noble Knights of Mycenae, we must seek to crack down on intolerant rebels and followers of demonic cults, who we believe are responsible for the majority of the recent violence. The Basilevs will ensure security and freedom for all his subjects.

However, Tusca can help support peace in the region by agreeing to establish a Rationalist Conclave in Viroconium. It will in no way be influenced by our Empire, as free, independent thought is an important tenet of the faith.

From Atntalese:
Unfortuantly, we must dissagree on the noble part concerning the Knights of Mycenae. While they do not hold the majority of the blame for this problem, their actions have served only to make things worse, makeing them part of the problem.
We are fully prepared to present a report on them, gathered by our agents form the former citizens and slaves who have fled these 'knights' to the safety of our borders, Including a dozen former members of the knight who have become disillusioned by their Orders corruption.
We hope you have much luck in stabilizing the region, no matter what action you take to bring it, though we hope it will be peacfull.

On the note of the Conclave, we point out that they had no need to ask for our permission, since all citizens are granted freedom of Religion.

Lovely update, though I'd prefer a slightly darker blue ;).

*Sigh*, because gigantism and state control worked so well for the 18th century French steel industry :(. Or the soviets for that matter.

@Germanica: We note that the city of Ostenberg are contary to what we discussed earlier, and that it appears we intercepted ships which had the intent to plant more contary settlements.

Top Bottom