NaNoWriMo 2006

Eran of Arcadia

Stormin' Mormon
Retired Moderator
The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
All right, so I just signed up for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writer's Month), which means that I will try to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. As I have said before, I have been working on this story in my head for a while; it is a science-fiction story with Biblical and mythical allusions. I will be posting a link to the story in progress once I get it started.

Is anyone else participating? Any thoughts?

I might try it out, I'm having trouble getting myself to write anything serious lately, this might be a needed catalyst. Though I don't really know which of my various ideas I'm going to attempt yet.

I don't think being an American is a requirement. Neither is writing skill - they value quantity over quality. However, this is the best way to start this story I have in my head, thatI really want to get out.

Sounds really interesting. I think I'll sign up. I've wanted to write a book for thaaaaat long, and this may motivate me :)
Thanks for the link Eran!

I signed up last year but never wrote a damn thing. My plan was some sort of late 18th/early 19th century adventure, but never got around to putting it into motion.

I'll sign up this year, but change the plotline. Still keeping the time period though.

I have this idea for a "futuristic dystopia" in my head, but every time I draft even three paragraphs, it turns into bad cyberpunk.

I probably would try if I had more time.

All right Eran! I'll take you on! I'll try to write 50,000 words in my CFC posts while you write 50,000 words in your novel, the first one to get there wins!

Eran of Arcadia said:
I don't think being an American is a requirement. Neither is writing skill - they value quantity over quality. However, this is the best way to start this story I have in my head, thatI really want to get out.

Yeah, but not being a native speaker is a handicap. Writting a story is very different from posting in a message board. I am sure my novels would sound funny due to a lack of style.

You can PM varwnos. He used to open threads to ask which beginings of his novels were better, but the poor guy had very little output. Not even perfection dared to spam his threads :mischief: So he stopped posting at OT, but I think he still does some graphic mods for civ III.

I signed up. I saw this last year, but not in time to actually do it. (Middle of November, I think.) I highly doubt that I'll actually finish - but it's worth a shot. If I get a 10,000 words I'll be very pleased, as that will be significantly more than I've managed on any other story. My profile is here, by the way. If everyone here who is doing it posts theirs, that would be cool, so we could all see how everyone else is doing.

No, it seems a majority of authors are teenagers, but there are plenty of older writers as well.

As far as my story idea, it actually can be traced to two different video games: the "All Your Base" one (actually the video on the web) and HALO (the bad guys are even called the Covenant.) I actually got a few ideas from dreams I had about it (I have been having lots of them, oddly enough.) Then I payed attention to all the little science mistakes that most sci fi makes and figured out ways to avoid them. I will still have my own I am sure.

I haven't officially "signed up", but I'm still participating. EDIT: Cross that out, I signed up "officially" now, too. :p

Yes, I'm going to start writing in one hour and five minutes. Just for the heck of it. ;)

I've been writing for a while, I made it to 8,000 words and couldn't decide what to do next. Methinks it's time for someone to jump in brandishing a gun or for something to explode.

Top Bottom