Princes of the Universe, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter Twelve: The Merchant

Epilogue

Yukio was very quiet, her dark, almond-shaped eyes shimmering.

“They must be wrong,” she said.

“That’s what I thought,” Hanno replied, “the first time they told me. I still doubted it the second time. But by the third, I believed it. More than that, I’m starting to feel it.”

“We have to get you home,” she said firmly. “What do these English doctors know? Roman medicine is…”

“They know enough, my love,” Hanno replied. “Enough to tell me that I won’t live long enough to see the end of the trip.”

Finally, she couldn’t stand it any longer. Her face creased with sorrow, tears spilled from her eyes, and her head fell forward into her hands. As her slender shoulders shook, Hanno stepped forward and enclosed her in his arms.

“It isn’t fair,” she murmured between sobs. “It isn’t fair…”

“I know,” he whispered into her ear. “Perhaps… it’s because my work is done.”

She snuffled against his shoulder. “Do you remember… on the trip over here... you told me the only thing you were afraid of was losing me?” Hanno nodded. “You never asked me what my greatest fear was.” She paused a moment, then sobbed. “I’m facing it now,” she said, then burst into the most heart-wrenching wail of pure sorrow that Hanno had ever heard.

Strangely, he felt little grief or even fear regarding his impending death. What affected him most was this—the pain it was causing the person he loved most in the world.

“There there,” he cooed softly, stroking her long, dark hair. “You have nothing to be afraid of. You’ll be well taken care of. You’re rich beyond your wildest dreams…”

She leaned back and looked at him with astonishment, the golden skin of her face wet with tears.

“I never cared about the money,” she told him, shaking her head. “I never… I only cared about you…” More tears fell, and she pressed her head against his chest again.

And at that moment, for the first time, Hanno realized that he’d never cared about the money either. Money was transitory, always in motion, never in one place for very long, not if it was going to do anybody any good. No, he’d lived for the thrill of the deal, of working for that moment, for that look in the customer’s eyes, the slow inhalation, the gradual smile, the nod of the head that meant he’d done it yet again. He’d lived for that, and for one other thing, for the woman he now held in his arms.

Well, now he’d met a customer he couldn’t bargain with. A customer whose price was steeper than he’d anticipated. Finally, at long last, Hanno had met his match. He began to laugh softly.

“What could you possibly find funny at a moment like this?” Yukio asked him, staring up at him in astonishment.

“The only one who ever beat Hanno at the bargaining table,” he said grandiosely, “was death.” He looked at her smugly. “I told you I was a great merchant.”

He began to laugh, and a moment later, she joined him. Their fingers intertwined, and then he leaned down and kissed her, gently at first, then passionately.

“Enough tears,” he said. “I have some time yet. I want to see Britain. With you. I want to make love on England’s eastern shore while we watch the sun rise as if Rome herself sent it to us, like a cherished memento from home.”

“My husband,” Yukio said, stroking his face as a sad smile played upon her own. “Merchant, traveller, and poet.”

“You forgot my favourite title and accomplishment,” he chided her with a grin.

“What’s that?”

“Lover,” he whispered.

And he kissed her yet again, as though it was the last time he ever would.

Why do great people always have to die? Why can't they just...like, retire or something. Wonderfully written, Sisiutil, keep it up! :goodjob:

Ah a sad end to another great tale. Why cant all stories be like Lucius.

Aw I expected an end like that, but now that it's actually come its still sad. I'm looking forward to Rome's elimination of those two plotting scum suckers Genghis, and Alexander.

This is brilliant.
Vastly superior to anything I've read so far here.
Thanks for a wonderful story.
:king: :thumbsup::clap:

Ah, rest in peace, Hanno.

Is that the last we'll see of Zorba?

Why do great people always have to die? Why can't they just...like, retire or something. Wonderfully written, Sisiutil, keep it up! :goodjob:
I thought of simply having him retire, but then there was that hullabaloo about that remark he made about losing his wife and I realized that there had to be some sort of dramatic payback for that, and simple retirement wouldn't do it. Having Yukio die didn't feel right--plus I prefer to avoid the whole "women in refrigerators" syndrome. Great People, though, generally have a built-in "best before" date. Unless you settle them, I suppose, but that's obviously not what I was doing with Hanno. So the poor bastard had to die.

The next installment will be a brief interlude before the excrement hits the rotary air movement device. ;)

Excellent, sis, well done :)

another great chapter(s)!!
makes all that waiting worthwhile...
kudos..

Question: how many variations of "the . .. .. .. . hits the fan" exists online?

I enjoy the varied approaches taken with the stories. Selling goods to the English in the end was rather anti-climatic, of course, and I wondered whether you had to be that honest about the gold payout (were you?).

As for universal sufferage: did Liz build the pyramids?

Question: how many variations of "the . .. .. .. . hits the fan" exists online?

I enjoy the varied approaches taken with the stories. Selling goods to the English in the end was rather anti-climatic, of course, and I wondered whether you had to be that honest about the gold payout (were you?).

As for universal sufferage: did Liz build the pyramids?
I'm not sure what you meant about being "honest" about the gold payout--I didn't go into Worldbuilder to add any more gold to the total, if that's what you mean.

US: Isabella built the Pyramids, as detailed in the Great Works story. And Caesar took them from her.

Hang on, in that last chapter, Yukio refered to England as BRITAIN, can that be explained?

Hey your right, a bit of a slip up perhaps.
Yukio can, I'm sure, be forgiven for making the same mistake several other people make of equating the two as one and the same thing. :mischief: :blush:

Your last story was on the 19th of July....

Its the 26th.....

Im getting lack of good story wrinkles

Please update, pretty please. Even with three cherries and a strawberry?

I've just finished reading this most excellent story my good sir! Very enjoyable indeed and I do think it to be one of the best AAR's I have ever read online.....

Anyway, just to add but I read pages back now about Canada preferring to use British spellings. You probably know all this, what with being an English teacher, but I have noticed you using zee evil "z" in certain spellings, such as "realisation", "civilisation", "industrilisation", etc. All of those are spelt with the classic British "s".

Just putting it out there if you ever decided to update your AAR in British English instead. ;)

I have noticed a few British spelt words, such as "centre", but still, thought I'd point it out.

Anyway, take your time and looking forward to another update! I hope to write my own AAR someday of Civ IV. Your AAR is indeed an inspiration.

Take as much time as you need. I do writing sometimes and can sympathise with the time it can take to get ready an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom