Special Circumstance Civs

Drtad

It Stinks!!!
I have an idea. How about civs that only spawn when certain conditions are met? For example: If Rome loses the city of Rome and is in control of Constantinople at the time of this loss, then the remainder of the Roman Empire, turns into the Byzantine Empire, with a new leader, capital at Constantinople, UU, UB, UV, and UP. The biggest problem I see here is the number of art files needed. Maybe the leaders could be 2D instead of 3D?

Maybe a simplified version could be made at first that wouldn't need artwork: If a certain something occurs, then a civilization comes into existance. For instance, ... <nothing comes to mind :(>

But something that where if civ A is conquered, then make civ B come into existance earlier than they normally would.

Ahh, For instance: America comes into existance at the normal time OR when England, France, etc settlers America. If Rome is crushed, the Celts are born; if Persia is crused, Arabia is born, etc.

It would be a great idea, but could we first have a confirmation from a modder/coder if it is actually possible to recycle unused civ slots? There is no point in discussing something which is impossible otherwise.
Also, in most cases, revolution can simulate this effect (example : Persia falls and comes back as Sassanid/Khwarzim) although names/UU/UP/UHV are not changed.

Jdog has recycled civ slots in his Revolution mod, I don't see how it wouldn't work code-wise. But truly I wouldn't know as I am not a code buff, all I can merely do is XML.

I have suggested something similar and think it is a very good idea (e.g. if rome does not exist in yeah X, italy spawns) is that the kind of thing you were thinking?

Doesn't the renaissance of Civs as it already exists do this? Maybe different names for respawns at different times would be nice though.

I think it's too complicated. First off, Byzantium was a broken portion of the Roman Empire, so it wouldn't make sense for them just to suddenly spawn. Secondly, the Roman empire never reaches its true potential in any of my games. Finally, Greece usually doesn't collapse. If anyhing, if you could use your imaginations, Greece is the Byzantine Empire; since the Byzantines adopted the Hellenistic culture for their own. Also, I don't see any other examples of civilizations which this would work with. Aztecs if Mayans dissolve? Timurs if Abassid collapse? Too complicated if you ask me.

This discussion reminds me very much of RTW Barbarian Invasion. I liked the system but my only problem was that you couldn't play as the new emerging civs... So if this is put in, they should be playable...otherwise it'd just be a ton of work for a bit of flavour. And that's if this is even possible, which I have to doubt.

I like the American idea. Spawns in 1733AD, or when at least 5 european cities are founded in North America. Of course, this would mean that the Americans might have to be toned down... hmm... *starts thinking hard*

To be honest I prefer the standard 1733 spawning because the '5 city' requirement simply isn't accurate. I love the concept of dymanic civ founding though.

I merely stated that for some, not all situations, a new civ can spawn, but only if the requirments are met. Like the Byzantine example I gave above. And about imagination, I'd rather not, imagining gives me a headache. Besides, it could just be a rename and not a total new spawn anyway.

Phallus said:
To be honest I prefer the standard 1733 spawning...
How on earth did you guys go from whatever population you were in 1733 to 250+million population where Australia was settled in 1788 and has only 20+milllion. What? Did you guys just bonk like bunny rabits or something...? (We have immigration too).

Anyway, that one has allways stumped me for a very long time. Sorry... off topic.

Well, the US was the country were most inmigrants went.

most? To go from well, what ever the population was to start with to 250 million... well, how much of America is American? Immigration only goes so far, where did the rest come from?

It isn't strange that people prefer to go to a lush fertile land across the Atlantic rather than a big desert with some coastline on the other side of the globe. It is no coincidence that Australia used to be a penal colony, y'know.

Top Bottom