Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - General Discussions

Notices

Civ4 - General Discussions Forum for general Civilization IV discussions including Warlords and Beyond the Sword (BTS) expansions.

Old Dec 03, 2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Lohengrin
Chieftain

Question Removing buildings - how to?

I am planning on building the Three Gorges Dam once I get Plastics and in preparation I have been increasing the productivity of the target city by building a coal plant. However, I am concerned about the hit on health from the coal plant. Once I have built the Dam and the coal plant is no longer needed, does it still have an unhealthiness effect? If it does, can I get rid of it?
Lohengrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Technocactus
Lurker

You can't get rid of buildings.
Technocactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Mutineer
Deity

If city has access to better buildings or effects it will use them.
So, when you get TGD your coal plans will stop working and there -health effect will dissapear.

You never want to remove building in Civ 4.
On other hand, if you loose TGD, coal plans will still be there in kick in stright away.
Mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Aussie_Lurker
Deity

Actually, there is a mod around which I think was called the 'Building Demolisher Mod' which allowed you to do this. You could scrap a building and get a small cash reimbursement. Hope this helps.

Aussie_Lurker.
Don't like how religions are currently founded in Civ4? Feel like religion is nothing but an early tech race, with no other strategy involved? Then try my True Prophets Mod v0.7 for BtS. If you want to discuss this mod, then please check out This Link Also, feel free to try my CivicInfosPlus mod component for BtS & keep an eye out for fully re-worked Civics based on this Mod Component!
Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2006, 11:12 PM   #5
Jaybe
Emperor

If you have a coal plant and then get hydro (or the 3 Gorges Dam), then you will see that the city (or cities) no longer have the unhealthiness due to the coal plant. So there is no need to remove the coal plant.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:43 AM   #6
doomeye
Chieftain

>You never want to remove building in Civ 4.

Incorrect. When playing a custom extended game that lasts long you would really like to get rid of all the nuclear plants that haven't yet exploded (I've lost around 10 plants to explosion so far...) and taken most of the other buildings (including several national wonders) with them.

D
doomeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2008, 07:31 AM   #7
CivDude86
King

And throw drydocks on that list.
CivDude86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2008, 10:52 AM   #8
T'hain Esh Kelc
Chieftain

If you *know* that you are loosing a specific city, you might want to demolish some buildings too..
T'hain Esh Kelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:43 PM   #9
gdgrimm
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomeye View Post
>You never want to remove building in Civ 4.

Incorrect. When playing a custom extended game that lasts long you would really like to get rid of all the nuclear plants that haven't yet exploded (I've lost around 10 plants to explosion so far...) and taken most of the other buildings (including several national wonders) with them.

D
Does a Nuclear Plant cause a Hydro Plant to stop working, or is it the other way around? And if you get TGD, does that make Nuclear Plants stop working?
gdgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Way_Traveler
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelc View Post
If you *know* that you are loosing a specific city, you might want to demolish some buildings too..
That would be a bit too unbalanced, I think. You'd never get anything of worth from invading. Isn't war-mongering hard enough as it is?
Way_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:30 PM   #11
Defiant47
Peace Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelc View Post
How about it takes 5 turns?
Defiant47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:43 PM   #12
Andvare
King

The almighty worldbuilder.
Andvare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:16 PM   #13
Civfan333
full metal alchemist

Just build a recycling center.
When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry walls
Civfan333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:58 PM   #14
Milly
Warlord

Actually, while a recycling center does get rid of the pollution that comes -directly- from buildings, it does not get rid of the unhealthiness that comes from item bonus (mainly oil and coal).
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:47 PM   #15
iamliberal
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgrimm View Post
Does a Nuclear Plant cause a Hydro Plant to stop working, or is it the other way around? And if you get TGD, does that make Nuclear Plants stop working?

Yes, this is a GREAT question, does anyone know the answer???

just fyi rg the conversation... in old versions of civ, I remember destroying buildings for gold when I expected to lose a city. I think there was a 1 building per turn cap for demolishing. Then again, disbanding cities into 2 settlers was a nice option too... helped provide me with workers to work the land AND helkped my conscience to think I didn't genocide a whole city, I just turned them into workers.
iamliberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 02:10 PM   #16
Whoman69
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way_Traveler View Post
That would be a bit too unbalanced, I think. You'd never get anything of worth from invading. Isn't war-mongering hard enough as it is?
I pretty much don't anyway. I'm invading cities in the 20th century that I need to start from scratch on.
Old May 02, 2013, 04:21 PM   #17
krazybastid
Chieftain

That is not true I built a nuclear plant while building a coal plant first I still got the 2 hit health negitivity from power. A demolish mod for civ4bts is very necessary like in previos civs and an abandon city mod also would be a good thing for cities you conquer that are to close together and you want to reposition conquered cities. I would like to know the link to demolish buildings mod. I built a coal plant in 1 city to speed up my appolo program. I increased my nuke plant random modifier to a good high number so I never have nuke meltdowns, while heeping somewhat of a realistic perseption of real world nuke plants. So a demolish buildings mod is very necessary and I would like to be pointed in that direction.
krazybastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Ghpstage
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazybastid
That is not true I built a nuclear plant while building a coal plant first I still got the 2 hit health negitivity from power
All power sources give 2 from power, using a coal plant makes this 4. So yes, the nuke plant did remove the coal plants extra in your game.

Also this thread is from 2008

Last edited by Ghpstage; May 02, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Ghpstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2013, 06:29 PM   #19
wazzzuup
track $tar

>Also this thread is from 2008

Actually "Dec 03, 2006, 10:19 AM"
wazzzuup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2013, 07:35 PM   #20
TheMulattoMaker
Dictator of RF

Necro'd, re-killed, and necro'd again.

PimpBob BreadPants smiles upon your shenanigans. But don't cross him- he has this nasty habit of putting pennies on train tracks. After almost two years, they still haven't been able to fix that train.

When he's not wrecking trains, he thanks Dhoomstriker and God-Emperor for his name, ParadigmShifter for putting him in the middle of everything, and SamSniped for getting rid of those annoying dots that were following him around.
TheMulattoMaker is offline   Reply With Quote