Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - General Discussions

Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Ryuk
Chieftain

Capitulated vassal and cultural border expansion

I have encountered this a few times at Noble level

My vassal (capitulated), which is next to me, has a large chunk of its land taken over by me by cultural expansion, until the point that it lost more than 50% of its land from the point of capitulation.
The vassal then declared independence and told me that "You're too weak to protect us"

Has anyone encountered this before?
Ryuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:57 AM   #2
LucyDuke
staring at the clock

Yes - that's when I get to declare war again.

Seriously, I hate having local vassals. If they want out because I didn't protect their land (from MY culture? how?), let 'em out, and let me at 'em. I'm not much of a warmonger as a rule, but I'll war for land and if there's a vassal agreement keeping me off of someone, cultural encroachment is a great way to break it.

Too weak to protect them, sure - but not too weak to take them over!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Naismith
Prince

Yes - I took Napolean down to one city, which did not border the rest of his cities. He capitulated. His remaining city was his capital, but still lost the culture war with two neighboring Civ's. When it got down to just a few squares, I got the "You're too weak to protect us" message.

I didn't really care, except I knew the next time I declared war on some other Civ, my (originally) French cities would get the "longing to join the motherland" unhappiness thing, which is inconvenient. Luckily, I had an Open Borders agreement with one of his neighbors. I attacked and razed his last city in one turn. Pathetic.
Naismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Ryuk
Chieftain

I thought that was funny because their land were taken over by me but not another civ

There was one game which this happened twice
I capitulated Genghis and Ragnar
Both of them revolted for the same reason

I would usually finish them off if I could but I didn't have enough army since I did not like the "We yearn to join our motherland" unhappiness

Oh well that certainly gave me a good chance to finish the both of them off
Ryuk is offline   Reply With Quote