News: GOTM64 Pre-Game Discussion

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

GOTM 64 - England!

This is coming out a bit late. My harddrive decided to take a vacation (possibly permanent :( ), so I'm working with a new computer and starting from scratch. But at least this gave me the opportunity to upgrade! :D So chances are the saves will be a little late as well.

This month you will set sail as Elizabeth, leading the English to their destiny. Along the way I'm sure you'll meet other leaders, and ... well, you get to fill in the rest.

Civilization: England
Rivals: 5 pre-selected.
Barbarians: Restless
Difficulty: Emperor
Land Form: Archipelago, 70% ocean, small map.
Geology: 4 billion years old, Normal, Warm

Conquest-Class Bonuses:
An extra Settler and 2 Spearmen
Bonus 50 Gold in Treasury
Knowledge of Wheel

Predator-Class Equalisers:
Don't know Pottery
Aren't Expansionistic and don't have Scout to start
Various AI Settings Tweaked - AI AI set at Emperor level, All AI set to build Naval Units Often, and one AI's Aggression set from High to Highest

(Special Note: Just a reminder - only PTW Saves will be Available.)

I can see RCP3, fresh water and quickly irrigatable wheat. What could the scout reveal to make me want to move the settler?

Well, the water to the NE might not be salty. I dunno - seems like a good start place.

I think I'll go for the UN victory in this one - my very first game above chieftain was an England continents game which was a UN victory - I remember using the Man-o-war's to help me grab the Iroquois's luxuries at one point...

I'm hoping that the opponents include babylon, iroquois, aztecs and america ;)

Eek! This will be my first game on Emperor. I expect to get thoroughly smoked. :eek:

Small map? Eek! I expect to get thoroughly smoked . . . early.:nuke:

lot's of choppables, pottery, & alphabet - what's not to like?

Actually, unless we are on an island with Germany or Zulu, we are probably pretty safe to begin with.

AI AI set at Emperor level
Isn't it already emperor difficulty?

Side note, how do I get quotes to say who they are from?

Isn't it already emperor difficulty?

Side note, how do I get quotes to say who they are from?
Side note answer - put '
username said:
' at the beginning of the quote.

Difficulty is emperor but there's a setting for AI Intelligience that can be set differently. Usually it's left alone (at Regent). So this is somewhat experimental. :)

This one is iffy for me. I generally do okay with Expansionistic civs, but I don't have much experience with Archipelago except 60% large maps, which was my preference in Vanilla. *ponderponder*

Nice- fresh water and wheat. I am a Monarch player, but will give this a try.

The only way I see it being a problem is if there are no resources on our island- or if there are two aggressive civs sharing it with us!

Pertaining to the Predator class, it makes me think that we share the island with at least one other civ.

Gentlemen (and any Ladies who might stop by)

Any thoughts on a viable Predator challenge for this one?

My opening thoughts would be settle in place and start a warrior. Brief scouting then return for MP. Build after warrior would be granary and then settlers. Research Writing->Map Making, after that if we're alone Literature for Great Library.

It looks like a true farmer's gambit game to me. Worker to the wheat, most likely settle in place (if I had a scout, I'd probably move him NE-N before settling). My first build will be a settler.

The only thing that gives me pause is this:

one AI's Aggression set from High to Highest

I guess it could be a short game with no military for a while, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sure, eventually. But you can start at size 3 with 12 food in the bin to run a 6-turn warrior + settler factory. If you build settler then granary, then I think you should be able to build 3 5-turn settlers (although most likely at least 1-2 workers will be in there instead of all settlers) while you shrink back down. Only then will I build my first military unit from my capital.

Top Bottom