Planetary Shields?

IamI3rian

Chieftain
I'm playing a game currently, where I just recently discovered class X planetary shields. I started bulding them, and got about halfway there, when I noticed that a few of my planets already had shields...? I DID NOT have class V shields researched, but around halfway through building them, I noticed that a few planets DID in fact build class V shields.

I've never heard of that happening, so I figured I'd let you guys know. Who knows, might come in handy some day.

Here's the save, if anyone is interested. I have read nothing about such an occurance. It's slot 1. Far eastern side, Ursa is one planet with such a shield.

Attachments

• shield oddness.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 61
You will get the first level of shields if you have enough production. IOW if you are going for level XV from scratch, you can see it finish V and then X and then XV. It just depends on how much you put into it at any one point in time.

If you have a strong enough planet late in the game you can get the whole thing done in one turn, otherwise it gets as much as you can afford each turn.

So you see things like class X up in one turn and finishing on the next. In your case all V's are getting done. It is normal.

I figured that was what was happening. The thing that seemed strange to me about it was that I didn't research class V, or even have it in my tree. I'm intrigued by the idea of putting up half a shield in case of an emergency :).

Still interesting though, I'd never heard of it happening. Thanks vmxa, for the timely confirmation.

I have run into games in which I leapfrogged Planetary Shield Techs. For example, I progressed from Class V ... X ... finally XX. However, Class XV was not part of my research tree.

Though it is always beneficial to have the highest tech as possible, there is a bottleneck. For example, I possess a planet with no defense. I have Class XX tech. This is where it can be a problem. I cannot stop at Class V shield, then start to build missile bases. I have to let the planet in question to build up all the way from Class V to XX, before it starts to build missile bases. This may be inconvenient, if it faces incoming enemy fleet, but it is still far away from completing Class XX. But I only need a dozen missile bases to repel such an attack!

By the time you have class XX, you should be able to use a fleet to repel. Of course you can pump some cash into the building to get it up sooner.

Any planet you aquire at this stage of the game is going to have the attacking fleet over it, until it has all the bases I think it needs or no one can reach it.

Top Bottom