Project: Realistic and complex world 2007

ianinsane

Prince
For a very long time now i have thought about a realistic and complex simulation mod of 2007's world with all its major conflicts - military, political, social, economical and ecological. However I do neither have the time nor the modding abilities to make this come true.
So I decided to post all my ideas on here and hope that some people of you find them as fascinating as I do and build a mod of it.

First, I'm gonna start listing all the major issues this mod should have and, as long as I have thought of something, write some lines about each issue.

Everyone of you is invited to discuss issues on here and bring up new ones. Feel free to post any comment.

Overview:
1. Time
2. Civilizations
3. Religions
4. Resources
4.1. New resources
4.2. Negative resources
4.3. Illegal resources/organized crime
5. Nuclear weapons
6. Global warming/climate change
7. Government debt & development aid
8. Health/AIDS
9. Refugees
10. Homeland security
11. Segregation vs. integration
12. Terrorism
13. Multinational corporations
14. Non-governmental organizations
15. Major conflicts
16. Transformation into society of knowledge
17. Civics
18. Techs
NEW: 19. The term of office

1. TIME
The scenario should be starting in the present year. Let's say january 2007.
It would be a realistic approach if one turn equals one month.

2. CIVILIZATIONS
I picked the most important nations in the world...by most important I mean who play a major role in global issues or play a major role in regional issues of global impact. I am not quite sure how many civilizations can be in a single game of CIV. I picked 32.
I'm gonna list them together wirh their "cultural orientation" (I will come back to that with the issue of "religion"):

- Western: USA, EU, Australia, Canada
- Orthodox: Russia, Belorussia
- Islamic: Iran, Egypt, Saudi-Arabia, Morocco, Turkey, Syria, Pakistan, Indonesia
- African: South Africa, Nigeria, Congo (or Ethiopia)
- Latin American: Brazil, Venzuela, Argentina, Mexico, Cuba, Colombia
- Sinic: China, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan
- Hindu: India
- Buddhist: Japan, Thailand, Philippines
- Jewish: Israel

Note: It is also a global issue that the EU is unable to act as one nation. But I chose to ignore this problem so one can concentrate on the more interesting problems.

3. RELIGIONS

One major influence on this mod is Samuel Huntington's theory of "Clash of Civilizations" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_civilizations)
The weak point in his argumentations is that different independent countries of one "civlization" will never act as one. Each country has its particular interests and is not gonna form an alliance with its neighbors just because of a similar cultural identity.
Nevertheless there are certain common interests between countries with similar culture.
This is why I took Huntington's "civlizations" not as civlizations in a Civ-related sense but as "religions".

I prefer this to "real religions" like Protestantism, Catholicism, Islam, Taoism etc. because "actual" religions are not always the key source of conflicts in todays world. But cultural differences are. And cultural differences mean a lot more than just religion.

So I chose 9 cultures (i.e. religions): Western, Orthodox, Islamic, African, Latin American, Sinic, Hindu, Buddhist and Jewish
Most of them are religious terms, though. But these are the terms Huntington uses. If anyone comes up with a better term I'd appreciate that.

Another major advantage of this system is that it allows to represent different ethnics in melting-pot-cities like NY or London.

4. RESOURCES

One thing that would make CIV more realistic is the quantity of resources. At the moment you need just access to "one" resource of each type. But one of the major causes of conflicts today is the shortage of resources. That means it is no longer important if you have access to one type of resource AT ALL but HOW MUCH you can get of this resource. This is why countries are fighting for oil and supporting corrupted regimes for iron.
So in this mod there should be a system to represent the quantity of resources. E.g. one resource can only be used in one city (for luxuries). Or, if you have two sources of iron, you can only build two swordmen at the same time.
Of course the number of sources of one resource on the map must be greatly increased for this. But this would make the world's economy more realistic and dynamic.
I don't know if such a system can be built in Civ IV, though....:confused:

4.1. NEW RESOURCES

One important new resource should be drinking water. In the future, without any doubt, there will be wars for clean water. Not only in the future but now: The current NATO-operation "Achilles" in Afghanistan tries to get hold of an important dam in the South. (http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,470083,00.html)
The lack of enough clean water could stop food growth, impact health and might even raze whole cities.
Sources of the clean water resource could be rivers and lakes...but there has to be a way to pollute it and destroy the resource. Also should global warming have an effect on water.

Another resource that needs a change is fish. One important issue on that is the growing overfishing of the oceans. Intensive fishing should cause fish sources to disappear. Very slowly when fishing in a certain area has stopped due to lack of fish it could reappear. But very slowly.

Here we come to food in general. There should be the ability to trade food. This is how megacities can grow and underdeveloped countries can be supported and corrupted. Maybe it would be enough to make the quantity of weed, cattle etc. more important like mentioned above.
But there are even more issues concerning food. After developing technologies like genetically modified food or organic food there are more possibilities for producing food.
GM food farms might increase the food output but add some unhappy faces, maybe even a health malus.
Organic food farms might decrease food output but add happy faces and healt bonuses.
And there is the major issue of hybrid seed that can only be seeded once. Maybe hybrid seeds could be a resource produced by a citie's laboratory and sold to another civ will provide them A LOT of food so the civ can use their farming squares to build mines etc.
On the contrary this civilization becomes very dependend on the hybrid seeds of the producing civilization...

4.2. NEGATIVE RESOURCES

I don't know if this is possible but another great feature would be negative resources. This means resources you don't wanna have. You produce it but you wanna get rid of it and build improvements or technologies to avoid or remove them or you pay your opponents to take your waste.

At the moment I can think of three negative resources:

Nuclear Waste:
Each nuclear power plant produces nuclear waste. If you can not get rid of it it greatly affects happiness and health of your city. The solution might be final disposal sites (very expensive, affecting health much less and happiness a little less), nuclear reprocessing sites (even more expensive, affecting health and happiness less, produces uranium) or paying your neighbors to take it (no health affecting anymore, just a little happiness loss but you opponents can produce uranium with a nuclear reprocessing site...).

Waste
The bigger a city the more waste it produces. This greatly affects health and hapiness. With recylcling and other modern technologies you can reduce waste, you can produce electricity with it (effects on health and hapiness), you can dispose it (health and hapiness issues) or you can pay your neighbors to take it. Like at the moment Asia takes all the electronic junk and the old ships from everywhere in the world.
Several production sites as well as supermarkets (instead of markets) produce additional waste.

Carbon dioxide
This is something for the later game. A UN resolution could establish global emissions trading. This means every country can pay its opponents to take their CO2. The reason why a country might wanna do this is that each country can produce a certain amount of CO2-"sources" before it starts to cause unhappy faces. Maybe this could also be solved with a civic...
Of course there is the global amount of CO2 which will cause global warming...but more on that later.

4.3. ILLEGAL RESOURCES/ORGANIZED CRIME

To represent global organized crime i think there should even be illegal resources. I'm not quite sure how this might be possible. Maybe they are not spread under the control of civlizations but spread automatically. A government can support it or fight it. Supporting means harm his opponents while making a little extra money but cause some unhappy faces or less healt in own cities. Fighting means the opposite.
Possibilities of the implementations of illegal resources are e.g. trafficking in human beings and drug trade.
If people (prostitutes, slaves etc.) are smuggled into a country it might increase corruption but produce some extra happy faces.
If drugs are smuggled it increases corruption, reduces production and causes some extra happy faces.

5. NUCLEAR WEAPONS

The starting amount of nuclear weapons should be as ridiculous as it is in reality and shoud truly resemble the possibility for mankind to destroy the world several times.
This means:
Pakistan: 1 ICBM / India: 1 ICBM / Noth Korea: 1 ICBM / Israel: 4 ICBMs / China: 8 ICBMs / EU: 10 ICBMs / USA: 100 ICBMs / Russia: 148 ICBMs
(Source: NTI; "Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists", FAS; Natural Resources Defense Council; Educational Foundation for Nuclear Science; CEIP)

6. GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE

Global warming depends on the production of CO2. A certain amount of CO2 is produced by every city depending on its size. Extra CO2 is caused by several city improvements and the use of oil and coal. The production of CO2 can be reduced by development of many many little (actually appearing superflous) technologies and improvements. A civ has to overcome its doubts to save the climate. It must not be a side-effect.
The effects of global warming shoud be a quite random change of terrain...not only grassland becoming plains becoming deserts.
And in the later game the sea should be rising and taking coast squares and even razing cities on coasts.

7. GOVERNMENT DEBT & DEVELOPMENT AID

To create a realistic simulation of the civilization's dependences there must be the instrument of government debt. Therefore the amount of gold in a civilization's budget and treasury must be greatly increased so rich civlizations can give poor ones a lump sum and get gold per turn in return. Including interests. E.g. USA gives 10000 gold to Nigeria and receives 60 gold/turn. This must also be popular among AI civilizations. Therefore I think the lump sum must be high enough and on the other side the interests as well.
Also it must be commen for rich nations to give poor nations a small amount of gold/turn as development aid. This will greatly increase the poor leaders mood and make him more open to sell his resources to the noble donator.

8. HEALTH/AIDS

Probably the most important health issue is AIDS in developing countries. I don't have any idea so far how to simulate this in a realistic way...

9. REFUGEES

Whereever there is a difference concerning economy or happiness in two adjacent countries there will be refugees. This means, cities in the more developed civilizations that are near the border or have an airport will become new citizens that will consume food but won't work for a certain amount of rounds (maybe 12). As long as that they will cause unhappy faces and corruption. And they'll bring their culture into the city. After 12 rounds they will become normal citizens.
There are certain ways to prevent refugees from coming and ways to reduce the negative impact (refugee camps) but double the integration time, as well as ways to make the integration faster.

10. HOMELAND SECURITY

There should be a way to spend a certain amount of the income on homeland security, just like science and culture. The more you spend on it, the less problems you'll have with crime/illegal resources and terrorism. And it prevents refugees from coming over your border.
If you choose to spend too much on homeland security, people will start to become unhappy and eventually to revolte.
Homeland security effects are smaller in cities with other culture than the "state culture".

11. SEGREGATION VS. INTEGRATION

Different cultures in one city cause unrest/unhappy faces. The development of certain techs and the activation of certain civics will reduces the unhappy faces:
Segregation will halve the unhappy faces but there is the chance of a city revolting.
Integration will remove the unhappy faces but cost a lot of money.

12. TERRORISM

The terrorist unit can be built by every civ with a certain civic (fundamentalism?) and they are very cheap. It has the stealth abilities of a spy and can attack a cities improvements or wonders or reduce a city's population. In any case this will cause A LOT of unhappy faces for a certain period.
Also there must be Barbarian terrorists appearin within a civilizations borders. The chance for this rises the more other leaders are furious at you. Maybe a chance of 1/32 per round per furious opponent? But also depending on the amount of money spent for homeland security.
Some units like spies and special forces can see terrorists and bust them.

13. MULTINATIONAL COROPRATIONS

There should be a way to resemble the growing importance of multinational corporations. MNCs are on the way to become more powerful than single states. I didn't have an idea how to simulate this but here are some thought on that issue:
- MNCs provide happy faces, a great amount of hammers, science and some taxes.
- They can leave a city or civ and stay somewhere else
- They go where the taxes are the lowest, the infrastructure isn't the worst, where the resources are, where the science is high and the homeland security isn't too low
- Maybe we'll need besides a control for expenses (science, culture, homeland security) one for income, i.e. corporate tax...but I'd be glad if there was a more elegant way to simulate this without another control...
- I could think of maybe 32 MNCs in this game that may switch their headquarter once ever 24 turns but don't have to.

As I said I don't have any idea how this can be implemented...maybe via wonders? Or great people or resources? Or is it even less complicated?

14. NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS

I am noth quite sure what role they could play in this mod. Certainly they have an impact on our world but I'm not sure how to simulate it. They could provide happy faces, help building infrastructure in underdeveloped countries or transfer technologies from developed into developing countries...

15. MAJOR CONFLICTS

Here I am gonna list some major conflicts that are or might become of importance in this world. They should be determined by starting positions, leader relations, starting civics, cultureal mixtures in cities etc:
- Iraq
- North Korea
- Israel/Palestine
- USA/Venezuela/Cuba
- Conflicts wherever there is oil
- India/Pakistan
- Afghanistan....

16. TRANSFORMATION INTO SOCIETY OF KNOWLEDGE

Interesting for the late game. Eventually in the 21st century some developed societies who are now societies of production will turn into societies of knowledge. Then production will be so cheap that it is not HOW to produce but WHAT to produce (look at this: http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0574.html?). In Civ, in the late game hammers should be losing their importance more and more and science should become more important. I don't have any idea how to do this...but we'll see about that.

17. CIVICS

I guess there should be a huge amount of civics....we should make a list ;)

18. TECHS

Many techs are to be developed....not only military or scientific techs but more important social and cultural techs...

---NEW---
19. THE TERM OF OFFICE

If the player chooses a democratic civic, like representation there has to be a way of simulating the term of office. Every 4 years, or 48 turns there should be an election. If a lot of citizens are unhappy a fictional opponent will be elected as leader of your civilization. Then you'd have to turn over control to the AI for a couple of turns. Next time you'd win the election automatically and are in charge again...
The same system should work for AI leaders. If one AI leader loses the election, the leader name could change and there could be random but slight effects on the relationship to other leaders. Maybe even one leader trait changes...
For the human player this should simulate the pressure on a leader to neglect important issues for the sake of winning an election.

There are a lot of great mods concerning more realistic combat and units out there...they are good, let's use them, if they let us... ;)
Let's go, let's discuss all this!

beautiful ideas with this mod - i would love to play it :)
hovewer it would be hard to implement all the stuff - you need a lot of work in sdk/python.

Good luck - it'll be fantastic mod bringing civ to new (higher) level

thanks, asio!
yeah, i thought that this would mean a lot of work. and that's why it needs some good modder to do this....which i am not at all! ;)
that's why i hope that more people are so enthusiastic about this as we are....
but for now it would also be great to discuss just the ideas and let them grow!!!

yeah, i thought that this would mean a lot of work. and that's why it needs some good modder to do this....which i am not at all! ;)

I agree that these are great ideas, and it would transform the game into a whole new experience.

However, as much as I hate to throw cold water on you, I just want to stress the reality of the fact that if you don't take the lead on modding - learn how to edit XML, learn to do some minor graphics work (understand the graphics in CIV4 - what's used where, etc.), then this will never get off the ground.

You really, really, really have to take the lead in creating product for this to work.

I agree that these are great ideas, and it would transform the game into a whole new experience.

However, as much as I hate to throw cold water on you, I just want to stress the reality of the fact that if you don't take the lead on modding - learn how to edit XML, learn to do some minor graphics work (understand the graphics in CIV4 - what's used where, etc.), then this will never get off the ground.

You really, really, really have to take the lead in creating product for this to work.

I agree - the mod needs strong modder as a leader (preferably very good in sdk/python or 3d graphics - very vital and very tough parts - you won't find easy ppl for this task, cause not many is doing this). Rule number 1 - If more job you've made alone the more help you'll get from ppl. So you must be preapared to doing almosrt all of the work - if you'll get luck and the job you'll make so far would be interesting - more ppl will join you.

That's the problem. To think of some ideas and roughly think how it could work in CIV4 is one thing...but learning Python or XML is something I hardly believe I have the time to. At least not within the next 6 months...
So I just hope some good guy finds this concept as fascinating as I do and adopts all these ideas. Otherwise no actual work can be done in the near future....
But nevertheless I'll work on deepening this concept, thinking of civics, techs etc., and post it on here. And maybe some of you do have ideas as well. And even if no-one starts with actual modding within the next 12 months...one day we're gonna play this game, I know it!

Firstly, I think there are some great ideas here but I would tone down a lot of the features that are hard to implement (elections, maybe negative resources etc). I would also strongly advise that you at least learn XML (don't worry, it's not hard) and be prepared to spend a lot of time helping out with this. Maybe you could do graphic work as well? ATM I cannot see any SDK modders prepared to start this massive project from scratch with no other help other than ideas..

For graphics I would definetly look at that Modern World mod which is by, I think, Snafusmith and others. For some SDK and Python (terrorists etc appearing in territory) I would look at Total Realism by Houman, Mexico and others.

Also I was just wondering, how will the civs be able to "trade" Carbon Dioxide? Get a big fan and blow it over the country's borders? :lol:

Anyway hope this helps.

I think when Global Warming will be realistic:
it would be produced as

+ number of shield * factor of energy in city (as a factor 1,0 for coal to 0 for nuclear and water power

+ number of shield * factor of type of production (1,0 - for without recycling centers to 0,6 with recycling centers - stills theres production in industry that emitates greenhouse gasses but it can save some co2 production)

+ level of the city * number of co2 produced by people in transportation

+ number of shields * civics factor (i suggest choosing free market and nationalization should increase co2 production)

- number of forest and jungles

- number of shields * civics factor - choosing environmentalism should decrease production of co2

+ number of villages, cities, towns, farms and pastures (a lot of gas is produced by cattle ;))

Having all of this each nation would produce some amount of co2 - to much would be causing global warming. So every nation in world would feel the pain

So the next step would be diplomaticly solving this problem - if you produce more co2 than average (or above number setupped by sdk designers - i think better way - this number should drop every three turns around 6% to make sense) you need to pay money (for buing rights, or paying penalties) or decrease the number of coal plants,

and the money for bad developed economies or that have ecological advantage would be used for further improvment

This way global warming should be stopped or slowed down - of course if it's possible to learn this ai :)

Firstly, I think there are some great ideas here but I would tone down a lot of the features that are hard to implement (elections, maybe negative resources etc).

Cool...finally there is the discussion I wanted to start :)
I could imagine the system of elections developed from Rhye's concept of stability management... So...when stability is too low at a certain round instead of a secession you'd lose control over your civ for a couple of rounds. And didn't somebody have a mod where you could turn control of your civ over to the AI to fast forward some turns...? I forgot what it was...

Blowing over the CO2 to your neighbors with giant fans would be a nice feature of this...maybe also a reason to declare war ;)
But I thought this as a simulation of the emissions trading. You have the right to produce this much CO2...if you produce more you have to buy more rights.
The system you described, asio, sounds really good to me!

Just a few seconds ago I had an idea how to possibly get the negative ressources thing working...
Maybe you shouldn't treat waste and CO2 as an resource but as a concept like hammers, health, commerce etc.
So if you have a lot of CO2 emissions you produce a lot of "emission symbols"... and then there is this actual resource "co2 certificates". Every co2 certificate reduces the emissions just like fur reduces unhappy faces. In that way you get civs to actually buy co2 certificates from their opponents.
There could be a similar system for nuclear waste and waste...which would be way more abstract than the really existing emissions trading. :(

But then again - coming to global warming - you'd have to make a difference between reduced/certificated co2 and co2 which was never produced since certificates don't bother the greenhouse effect...

And maybe...if civs can't cover their co2 with certificates they'd be forced have to sell factories and coal plants. Just like you have to sell improvements when you're treasury is running low.

Ah....this is complicated... :crazyeye: I like it!

So...I am actually suggesting "negative negative resources"! :p

By the way, does anyone of you know an online version of the civ4 tech tree? Since I lent mine to a friend and I wanted to start making an overview which civs might have developed which tech in the present. Do you know any mod with realistic new techs for the near future?

Not sure but someone could take screenshots of the tech tree.. but really I think this site should have it in the Civ IV area somewhere.

It would be tricky working out what factions/countries have what techs. I'm guessing America, Russia and possibly China and Japan would be the most advanced? but I'm really not sure so it would have to be checked out somewhere. The EU and Australia are probably similar? I have a feeling that I'm way off with this stuff.

Remember not to scare coders off with the complicated stuff or this mod will never get started :p Maybe CO2 could just be represented by sickness? It wouldn't be as good though I admit.

Yes, I guess USA is in the lead..then comes EU, Australia, Japan, Canada, Israel. Then probably China, South Korea, India, South Africa, Russia, Taiwan. And at the end is North Korea and Congo.

I guess planning far ahead is not wrong. I don't think it will scare people off. The more ambitious our overall idea is - the more attractive it is. Of course we have to do it one after the other. First we gotta start with the map, the civs and the cities...

So far...with the old tech tree every tech is known to all the civs up to fission.

Civs that have fission:
USA, EU, Canada, Russia, Iran, Pakistan, South Africa, China, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, India, Japan, Israel, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico

...don't have fission:
Australia, Belarus, Egypt, Saudi-Arabia, Morocco, Turkey, Syria, Indonesia, Nigeria, Congo, Thailand, Philippines, Venezuela, Cuba, Colombia

The first ones are all the states who have nuclear power plants actually in operation (due to IAEA).
Which leads us on to our first tech issue: There should be one tech for civil as well as one for military use of nuclear power: One to build nuclear plants and one to build nuclear weapons. So we could Iran have power plants but no weapons so far...

Same problem with satellites. There are just a few states (USA, EU, Russia, China, India, Japan & Israel) that have the actual capability of constructing satellites AND shooting into the orbit. However, if it's just constructing satellites...a lot more states can do that. In fact there's only 8 states on our list who don't have satellites in operation: Belarus, Syria, South Africa, Congo, North Korea, Venezuela, Cuba and Colombia.
This means we have to split up rocketry into a tech for rockets like SAM and one for rockets built for space transportation....

So far on that for the moment... ;)

Same problem with satellites. There are just a few states (USA, EU, Russia, China, India, Japan & Israel) that have the actual capability of constructing satellites AND shooting into the orbit. However, if it's just constructing satellites...a lot more states can do that. In fact there's only 8 states on our list who don't have satellites in operation: Belarus, Syria, South Africa, Congo, North Korea, Venezuela, Cuba and Colombia.
This means we have to split up rocketry into a tech for rockets like SAM and one for rockets built for space transportation....

So far on that for the moment... ;)

You can have construction of satellites and rocketry to achieve that divide. You can also have non-rocketry nations having to deal with those with rocketry to achieve a benefit.

I've been giving a lot of thought to a scenario along these lines as well. However, my plans have called for an abstract setting - you might also want to give the same a thought.

Keep all of the current issues, themes, etc. but don't try and create an accurate image of the world and list of major players - it seems like that would too much effort with very little pay-off and you will end up with interesting scenarios crammed into a tiny corner of the map (like North and South Korea).

Instead, picture a random map with 16 players or so, some developed, some not. Of course, a map script that could set such a game up would be awesome, but you might have to build a map more along the lines of a generic archipaleago/continents map.

Think of it less as a "realistic and complex world 2007" and more of an international relations simulator.

I might have the time to poke a little more at my ideas in a while and will try and follow up on this thread.

Keep all of the current issues, themes, etc. but don't try and create an accurate image of the world and list of major players - it seems like that would too much effort with very little pay-off and you will end up with interesting scenarios crammed into a tiny corner of the map (like North and South Korea).

Well, I think it actually is the interesting thing - and our world today is for the first time in history in this situation - that every little interesting scenario (like Korea) is a conflict of global dimension. And due to our beloved globalization this conflict is linked to literally every other little conflict there is...
So our globalized world is the ultimate and true scenario which combines and completes all the little scenarios like Korea, Iraq or Israel.

But nevertheless your idea is appealing. There is the chance of creating this mod not only for this "world 2007" scenario in the first place but for random maps. If done so one could do the little effort to build the "world 2007" scenario which would only be using an existent earth map with existent cities and adjust civilizations and religion....

OK...it started. Today I did the flags and the leaderheads...I hope I can go on tomorrow with the civs.

Well, now I started it with the things I just wrote could be done in the end for the scenario. But I gotta learn modding and this seemed the easiest way to start ;-)

Here are two things I'd need some of your ideas:

1. I need Great People for all the civs listed above. Since this mod is set in the present world I'd like to use only living people for great scientists, merchants, prophets, artists, engineers...
I'll do a list myself but I'm very thankful for every name that is proposed.
One note concerning prophets: Since this mod will not use religions as "religion" but as kind of "common culture definition" I'd suggest to not only take men of faith as prophets but also people like philosophers and other people of culture who are not actually artists.
And I guess I will rename "merchants" and "prophets" and call them "entrepreneurs" and "intellectuals".

2. Techs. I'd like to collect a list of technologies covering the time between 2000 and 2030. Not only "scentific" or "technological" advances but also economic, ecologic and social techs. These will probably the hardest to collect.

Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom