The Immortal Challenge 3: The Gathering Storm

Looking from the 2470 BC save, there's alot left to explore.

Taking things city by city, your right, there's quite the potential for commerce. But also what you have is quite a decent amount of production.

stone-crab has 12 production with mines. In terms of chariots (cost = 37H), you work your mines for 2 turns and switch a tile to a forest on that 3rd turn for the last hammer.

London's five mines at 20 H per turn is a chariot every 2 turns.

Food is what you are lacking in; go out and get it. When you get it you can use it in the ways it is used, i.e. SE. But those days can be discussed then. However, I believe the home front should be directed more towards cottages.

Refering to the screan shot, I'd take the open squares as opposed to the filled. The trade-off is access to the coast vs a plains tile; the city square, 2f 2H = 4H, equals the plains hill mine.

I'd even advocate a slight rush to get these cities out. If you use the sheep (and 2 key grassland tiles) to feed cottages and even farm the wines before monarchy (2C each) you'll gather enough commerce to get yourself into decisive times. Allthough wine won't even scratch its production potential until Civil Service.

These cities won't be fond of Slavery so I recommend using it at a minimun - only a couple crucial uses here and there.

So although you don't have all that much population use it as much as you can (charismatic does give that one extra pop).

But taking the fast growing city sites as your own I anticipate as being a strategy to consider.

barb may plant a city in the stone-crab site. it saves a settler and gives some gold..

barb may plant a city in the stone-crab site. it saves a settler and gives some gold..

They are more likely to put it in some silly position that is unusable. Barbs don't seem to make good use of seafood.

Round 2: 2470BC - 775BC

Quite a lot happened this round. Actually, it was long because I wanted to get a couple of important things done before I stopped.

I decided to go for Mysticism. Even if we don't manage to get Stonehenge, we would want monuments, and the consolation gold would be useful. If we do get Stonehenge, the free monuments would enable our newer cities to work on something else right away, and the GPP would be handy for generating our first few GPs early. The only downside is delaying chopping and whipping. We weren't in a hurry to hook up copper, since we were about to grab horses. It would be good to know where the metal is and seize it before somebody else did, but in the worst case, we would probably be able to get iron.

Our settler was soon complete and settled at Site A:

Being able use the canal feature might turn out to be a strategic advantage in the future. And given our capital's predisposition as a production city, York, with its two rivers, can become a commerce city.

After Mysticism was discovered, we started on the Stonehenge in London right away (15 turns on max production), and we went on to research BW.

And it turned out that the Romans weren't as far away as we thought:

But that could just be a fringe city. We know that Caesar is Imperialistic, and that might prompt him to do a REX. We can't be sure until we scout the area out (preferably with a chariot).

Yes, you can see a barb archer coming in to try and raze York. The barbs came in quick succession. Our warrior had repelled a barb warrior attack just before this archer came. We were still in the process of hooking up the horses, and the lone injured warrior was our only hope of not having to possibly restart after being royally screwed this early in the game. He did not disappoint us and earned his first promotion.

One of the safely hidden huts was eventually popped by our capital's borders:

That is good news, considering all we've been getting were maps (well, a tech, yes, but one we did not need as badly as BW at the moment). The income would speed our research up for a while and help us start chopping and whipping earlier.

More good news: We completed the Stonehenge.

And, soon, BW was discovered. We researched Pottery next for granaries and cottages. Two sources of copper were revealed nearby:

My first instinct was to try and grab the one up north, if only to deny that piece of land to someone else. And after a little more consideration, I decided that it would be worth it to claim a stake on the mainland first and then backill the rest of our peninsula later.

To that end, I switched to Slavery:

And whipped 2 citizens for a settler asap.

As our first chariot was about to be ready at the capital, our garrison warrior at York went to scout out the area near the copper before the arrival of the settler:

Ivory! :goodjob: That meant early happiness resource and war elephants. The area seemed a bit low on food, though, but there was a blue circle on the grassland by the coast that could mean seafood out there. Indeed, it was true:

I did not doubt that it was the right spot to settle. We were researching Writing after Pottery for libraries and as a prerequisite for Alphabet, but I diverted our research to Hunting for a couple of turns just for the early extra happiness from ivory.

Expectedly, putting a city so far out took a toll on our treasury. It was worth it, if only for the ivory, but in any case the problem was mitigated when we got more gold from the second stored hut:

And, of course, we had begun laying cottages around York to help pay for upkeep.

I stopped playing after Writing was discovered. An overview of the current situation:

We have copper within our borders and enough chariots to repel any barb incursion. In fact, we have one spare chariot that is going to explore the Roman lands. The situation looks like it's under control at the moment, but we need more workers. I was thinking of chopping/whipping a library at London asap to start running scientists, but I guess it should probably build a worker first. As for cities, I think we have enough for the moment without dragging our economy down the drain. IMO, the next city we settle should be on our own peninsula.

Tech-wise, I'm not sure what we should research next. Alphabet? None of neighbours has it yet. I don't know what other options we have. We could go for IW, but I'm sure we can get it through tech trading quite easily. Another option is researching up the religious line towards CoL.

I'm also not sure if we should sign OP with our neighours. It would improve relations, but it would also expose our peninsula to greedy foreign settlers. That might depend on how much the landmass has been settled, though. If there's still plenty of room, I doubt that we would face such a threat any time soon. That would also mean that a war of expansion might be a distant prospect at the moment.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• ImmortalChallenge3_BC-775.CivWarlordsSave
    155.1 KB · Views: 123
They are more likely to put it in some silly position that is unusable. Barbs don't seem to make good use of seafood.

You're right. It seems they settled a city right on top of the stone.

with the copper in that crab-stone site, it is highly likely that a city 1S to the copper will be a barb city. stop fog busting there and get the city and some xp for free.

it is very exciting just watching aelf's thread, also breathtaking.

i think war should be delayed until catapult and elephant. by that time your economy is stable to afford constant war.

tech: i think u won't try the great library, will u? so i won't go alphabet this time, as u have all the worker tech self researched. i think go metal casting and assign a engineer to hopefully get a GE to lightbulb either Machinery or engineering.
MC-> maths->construction. maths will get discount as most AI get that early, and trade for alphabet.

looks good. I still say you put stone-crab on the copper. It goes from a 2F 4H tile to a city site, 2F 2H, but with all the mines over there the -2H isn't the worst loss. 13H per turn is still pretty good. Looks like the barb city has to be razed due to food issues.

I'm not too familiar with the city maintenance on immortal. Balancing new cities with existing cottages in a growing economy will take some skill.

I wonder if a chariot rush is still in order. Launching one at Caesar might be too ambitious. Cottages and scientists can take you through at some sort of pace, possibly on to more opportune moments.

tech: i think u won't try the great library, will u? so i won't go alphabet this time, as u have all the worker tech self researched. i think go metal casting and assign a engineer to hopefully get a GE to lightbulb either Machinery or engineering.
MC-> maths->construction. maths will get discount as most AI get that early, and trade for alphabet.

Maybe you do head down towards the Machinery path, possibly on to guilds and banking. Currency is probably a must, as well as a few other typical diversions. Redcoats, Redcoats, Redcoats, maybe that's when you make the majority of your pounce. But don't forget to get your Drill IV crossbowmen along the way.

I don't know what the dot map is but I see quite a few Coastal Cities so going for a Relatively early Metal Casting, if the circumstances allow for it, and rushing a forge=> Colossus to benefit from those many coastal tiles, plus we have copper so it should be relative cheap.

We have 3 Definite Coastal Cities,
-Copper/Fish/Elephants in the North
-Canal/Fish/Horses
-Crabs/Stone/Copper in the South East

Not an important city but in the future if you have a stable economy, we should fill in the gap north of the capital, (South of Spices) for another fishing City to benefit from the coastal tiles with colossus (if we build it) although Production there will be difficult and Whipping would be painful because of lack of food resources, but that city should be able to pay for itself and we should be able to benefit from the commerce once infrastructure is put in place, especially before Astronomy when the benefits of Colossus are still in play.

i looked at the save, yes , city on top of stone. maybe there is a sea food down there? if there is a sea food then i will keep the barb city and plant another city NE of the copper to use the crab and share the copper with two city. about city, u can settle one S of that spice so it overlap with capital and work some cottages for the capital early and return to capital with three mature cottages. of cause this is done when u can pay the upkeep and no more room to expand peacefully.
the thing about go MC is that: with copper, do u want to try the colossus? the GM is good for the 'South route' of the tech tree. (i heard about it but havn't try it myself). this wonder is cheap and most your cities are coastal.

about the OP, sign it immediately! especially with JC, the trade route will be useful and the land down there is not that good. the barb will hold the stone copper for sometime, and if they do build a city there, they build it for u.

whip the granary in Nottingham, this actually encourage growth of that city, working only fish took 7 turns to size 2 and the granary give another half food bar.

Stonehenge, an interesting start. I always thought it was a fancy wonder, but I could be wrong. After all, Stonehenge does belong to the isles, right?

The choke point city doesn't actually deny the AI from settling your peninsula. They could and often would bring up galleys and settle there anyway, so either be prepared to fight the whole world for it, or, more sensibly, open borders with your allies anyway. In that sense, I would've settled the peninsula first. BUT, your third city was also as good as your second city, and hence that wasn't a wrong choice. You actually have a lot of good land around you.

Julius is a very honourable person, and doesn't bully weak nations easily, but if he does have iron, then attacking him will be a very wrong choice.

Top Bottom