WLTK days!

eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
We Love the King Days

There was some discussion of WLTK days in the last chat, so I would like to make my position clear. In the province of Istar, for which I am the governor, they will have minimal effect, as corruption and waste is negligable. Entertainers should not be used in Istar unless to keep the city out of disorder. The further you get from the capital, the more important WLTK days get. In Asphinxia, for example, several of those cities get no shields from a worker working a forest or hill. If the city cannot grow, due to a lack of food producing land or of an aqueduct or fresh water, as soon as it hits size 6, it should be tweaked. Workers working forest, hills and mountains should all be made entertainers, provided this does not cause starvation. Even those working the fields can be made entertainers if starvation does not result. Once a WLTK day starts, the city needs to be tweaked again, by putting as many workers into shield producing tiles as possible without losing the WLTK day celebration or causing starvation. I suggest all governors take a close look at their cities, and see if it is possible to start a celebration. The addition of a marketplace will make this much, much easier.

In the case of Thebes, as there is a decent chance we will build the Forbidden Palace there, we may want to halt it's growth, and start a WLTK day. Then we should optimize it for shield output to at least get it to two or three. If the city gets too large, a celebration will be harder to come by. A courthouse should be rushed as well. At this point it may actually be feasible to build the Forbidden Palace in this city.

Great idea, Eyrei. Because we had little to go on last night on WLTK policy, it was left up to us on how it was to be handled. I did not want to micromanage the cities for WLTK. However, I will yield to specific requests to particular cities. I wasn't sure if it was under your jurisdiction to declare this or the governors. I agree with you though, it should be the governors. If governors wish for cities re-optimization, whether for WLT President (we do have a President, don't we? ;) ), maximizing food or production, please include it in the turn instructions thread for specific cities. Please make it as easy as possible for the player.

You'll have no argument from me on this plan :D

Out of interest, does anyone know what the precise level of corruption reduction is under a WLTK day? How does it compare to that of a courthouse? Essentially: would it be great enough to justify replacing courthouses with marketplaces in my build queues?

Would whoever answers Eklektikos's question please tell me wht trigger's WLTK days and their benefits?

(It's not easy displaying one's own ignorance to the whole world.;) )

Not to argue with my Deputy, but to augment him, I believe the population actually has to be 6 or more, but not positive. Also, it must have food growth, if it is in shortage it won't work, and I think zero growth also stops it. (BTW, if it's population is stuck because of needing an aquaduct, but it still has a food surplus, it will go into WLTKD). Also, if you refer to the So You Think You Understand Corruption Thread, basically a WLTKD is equal in the calculations to a courthouse, but for waste (shields) only, has no effect on commerce. So in general I would say build the Courthouse first, it is cheaper and will make the marketplace easier to build.

Specifically on Thebes, I was going to post in the Domestic Advisor thread, I think a rushed courthouse there is the best investment I have seen in a long time. It is about to finish a pikeman, has already put 27 shields towards it. By switching to a courthouse, it could be rushed for (53*4) 212 Gold. Bear with me a moment, as I try to show the calculated benefits (I was bored at work;) )

Assumptions:
Currently Thebes is 90% corrupt, a courthouse generally decreases corruption by 25%, so new corruption would be 65%, or in other words production/commerce would be 1/3 of max.

Option A: Build Courthouse Manually
Cost: 53 more shields
Time: at 1/turn-53 more turns

Option B: Rush Courthouse Now
Cost: 212 Gold
Benefits: 53 Shields (to complete courthouse)
Plus 2 shields per turn for next 53 turns - 106 Shields
Plus 4 Trade per turn for next 53 turns - 212 Gold (or science)
(Trade would go from 2 to 7, less one for maintenance).

In other words, we would make our money back and get 159 sheilds over the next 52 turns, which would build a temple and a marketplace, even if we don't use it for the FP. If we do, we could rush the marketplace for WLTKD and bump production up 2 more, to 5 per turn.

I know this is not a cultural issue, but the FP is (sort of), and besides, I just think compared to the exorborant rate for rushing normally, if we can get one that will pay us back this well, we should take it.

(BTW, a similar argument could be made for San Fran. but Thebes is much more strategically located).

Good work Justus II!!!:goodjob:

To clarify. WLTK day begins when a city with pop 6+ has as many or more happy citizens as content citizens, and noone is unhappy. On rare occasions I have seen this not work, but I think it is a bug in the program.

A courthouse in Thebes will be essential if we build the Forbidden Palace there, as will a WLTK day.

Top Bottom