New Idea for Culture

TETurkhan

Game Developer
Here is an idea for how Culture in the game can take on a new more dynamic role.

• Have religion be the biggest factor in determining the culture of the Civilization.
• Instead of having “Era’s” have different religious or other beliefs of whatever kind put into the technology tree, once that technology is researched that culture has the option to choose to adopt it for his or her Civilization… much like how governments works… and in a way a new era starts…
• I would of said Race should play a factor as well, but every Civilization is pretty much different in racial stock than one another… so there isn’t much point in that…
• Different Cultures to choose from could be as follows: early beliefs, such as the worship of air, wind fire etc… than moving on to lets say sun worship, a barbarian one (human sacrifice etc), then onwards to Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Christianity, Islam and others…
• Placement of these beliefs in the technology tree can be based on the actual time in history...
• Of course each belief system or rather culture would have its own unique architecture, so your cities would look different, maybe your advisors as well..

I think this would work, I mean cities change in the game right now, instead of it happening with new era’s have it happen when a new culture is adopted… furthermore put some positive attributes to these new belief-religious technologies… like improving moral of the people etc… and once adopted for a certain period of time make it almost impossible to change – hard to get people to convert their beliefs… this system is especially effective when conquering a civilization with the same culture - their people would be easily assimilated versus ones that weren’t… and as for culture flipping, taking over cities with the same culture could be made to less likely flip…

I am not sure how difficult this concept would be to implement in the game, but I think it would be worth it…

I am not sure how difficult this concept would be to implement in the game, but I think it would be worth it…

They could, but I don't think it would be very smart to do that. They wouldn't be very politically correct if they start assigning any advantages/disadvantages to certain religious groups. Religion is probably one of (if not the most) sensitive subjects to talk about. People feel so much stronger about their own religion than any other subject. There would be so many people who would be so offended if their religion wasn't included in the game, or wasn't the best one in the game.

If you really want to see religion in the game, use the editor and change the governments to religions.

ANY form of Culture Flipping borders or cities (and vanishing garrisons) is braindead.

Some culture is OK, but they way Firaxis slapped the idea together is pitiful. I once had a city I just conquered flip to the other guy only because it was near his capital - that despite the fact I had a MASSIVE army right next to that city - which I promptly razed. "Razing" is another joke: one unit can not only destroy a city, it can kill millions of people and clean up the pollution from all those dead bodies! :crazyeye: I once had a city that had been Roman for 5,000 years flip to me. Absurd. Never has anything like that ever happened in reality.

Borders should never flip over garrisoned fortresses and resources esp. within a city's production radius.

It hardly matters as a point of argument as Firaxis has said they will change nothing about Culture. And that is why I bought "Europa Universalis II" today. :D

good points... lots of people could get upset...
why not have the advantages more to do with level of happyness, so lets say you pick a religion... this enables you to build city improvements, if the religion is Islam then Mosques if Christian then Churches and so on... if the beliefs are more barbaric, human sacrifices etc.. then enable city improvements that have an effect on war ability, or experience etc..

most of the religions would be the same except for the type of city improvements, the look of the city etc...

I think if the culture is the same the more likely of it flipping...
but regardless of this I agree with a large enough army it should be able to prevent this... instead of flipping why didnt they just create rebel units which surrond the city and attack like in CIV 2?

take over the city with only 4 units.. the city revolts.. and you have a bunch of rebels/freedom fighters try to take back the city or at least surround it etc... this would be WAY better if you ask me...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... still people will get offended even if we use Religions as a major point in game. Thats why you only touch on religion in Theology, Monothiesm, Polythiesm. It doesn't play a part, which I am glad, so that many races, cultures, and religions would not feel ostracized playing the wonderful game we call Civ3.:D :D :D :D :D :D

They can always use generic names for religions. Like Paganism, or Diobloism (it was in the idea file). If no real religions are used then no one will get upset.

why not then make the difference of the religions only in the look of the temples of worship? maybe even throw in a few units with each religion affiliation?

Islam: Mosques, Islamic looking cities, mameluks as a possible unique unit

Christians: Churches, Christian looking cities, knights as a unique unit

Buddhists: temples, buddist looking cities, monks as special unit

and so on...

they are all pretty much the same as far as their attributes go, but there are obvious differences in the look of their cities, temples etc...

the cool thing is, you get to choose and you can change what you want for your civilization...

Top Bottom