Most Fought-Over Place in History?

The Holy Land. Goes right back to the Battle of Kadesh and continues today in the Arab-Israeli conflict.

There are also some fifteen battles of Adrianople=Edirne (including sieges) from 313 to 1913. It's in a particularly strategic place leading from Greece into the Balkans and from the west to Istanbul.

Belgium, southern Netherlands and the region of France just west of it have been famously fought over. Crecy, Courtrai, Agincourt, Ypres, Waterloo, the Downs, Sluys, Dunkirk, Calais, Tournai, Mons, Malplaquet, Lille, Oudenaarde, and many more, and that's only the western half of the region.

To the ancients there was a place that was synonymous of war. It's in the bible as "Harmageddon". Historically it was the fortified city of Megiddo, in Syria. Anyone campaigning up or down that piece of coast along the Med. would pass it by, and usually there would be a fight.

The much-fought-over places tend to crop up at intersections between major powers for very long stretches of history. Megiddo for the pre-classical ancients. Flanders for western Europe. There are others, in other parts of the world obviously.

I'd have to say what is today known as Israel. It's is at least the most coveted place in history.

Yeah, probably Jerusalem.

I was always thought that in the last 1000 years, Belgium (or the Southern Netherlands) has been the "Battlefield of Europe". The region was ruled by the Romans, the Franks, the Burgundians, the Spanish, the Austrians, the French, the Dutch and invaded by Germany two times. Besides that, several battles between European powers were fought in the Southern Netherlands (the most famous being Waterloo of course)

At first glance I would have said Alsace-Lorraine, but after reading through this thread I would have to change it to the land now known as Israel.

Given that Israel/Palestine has had periods where they were a part of one empire or another, I'd venture out and say Mesopotamia may have seen more fighting than the Holy Land.

Israel Mesopotamia and Belgium are high on my list.

Here's a nice question. Which sea area do you think has been fought over the most?

Israel/Palestine...ALL THE WAY...my mom said when I was younger, "All this !@#% over a stupid little piece of dirt!" She was angry at the moment...I don't think she actually believes whatever...Just adding spice to the convo! :lol: Don't take offense anyone, just to let you know my father's Jewish. :lol: Please, really don't take offense.

Top Bottom