Huge inflation

Tatran

Deity
In my first BTS Noble game I've a huge economic problem.
So, I looked at the F2 screen. Just look at the inflation number.
I can't remember I had it so bad.

I've never really understood what inflation in the game is or where it comes from.

There is a screenshot for BtS that shows an event that allows you to establish a Central Bank - which reduces inflation.

Nonetheless, that is ridiculous!

Inflation % = (Turn Number - Game speed Factor)* Game Speed Factor

it used to reach 100% at all game speeds in 2050 (when on Deity level)

Either its been Really beefed up, or they forgot to adjust it when they adjusted the number of turns in the game.

That is possibly one of the things added to give more power to economic powerhouses, that along with the 100% trade route yield, free market may become as powerful as it is supposed to be.

Umm.....do you have 7 Vassals?

Could that be anything to do with it?

Cheers.

Does inflation rise further when your slider is set to a high % of gold (vs science, etc)? You could make a sort of economic argument for that, I guess... but I've never checked to see if it behaves that way. You're running 80% there.

@Nikis-Knight
See picture below. You're 100% right.
Now, why would someone build a corporation in their cities when the expenses
will become that huge. I got greedy, extra 11 food + 7 hammers from 2 corps in my cities.
I'm also running Environmentalism, I've already defied it
2 times (10 unhappy citizens in my cities).

hmm, you know I have had Civilization since the day it came out and I have never once seen that screen. LOL

lol, looks like you can barely afford the expense as you have 80% set on gold

Wait a minute -- why is number of cities maintenance a negative number???

@Nikis-Knight
See picture below. You're 100% right.
Now, why would someone build a corporation in their cities when the expenses
will become that huge. I got greedy, extra 11 food + 7 hammers from 2 corps in my cities.
I'm also running Environmentalism, I've already defied it
2 times (10 unhappy citizens in my cities).

is is bugged or what ?

Wait a minute -- why is number of cities maintenance a negative number???
Maybe, because 2 cities celebrating "We love the king day" -> no city
maintenance for 1 turn. I barely run positive if no city is celebrating.

Inflation % = (Turn Number - Game speed Factor)* Game Speed Factor

it used to reach 100% at all game speeds in 2050 (when on Deity level)

Either its been Really beefed up, or they forgot to adjust it when they adjusted the number of turns in the game.

What is the game speed factor for normal speed?

chances are its the corporations. from how I understand corps are working. (I dont get my copy till tuesday....) with two corps your probably paying through the nose.

Here is a post I made in another thread regarding corporations. As it stands the effect inflation has is a major gamestopping bug and needs to be Firaxis' top priority:

Corporation was supposed to be similar to religion in general.

Corporation should provide benefits to cities which host them [as religions do] and also give a big bonus to the civ that holds the shrine[HQ].
As it stands, by the lategame corporation is devastated by the "inflation" which more than triples the true cost.
I guess when people read this, they won't understand how bad it REALLY is, they may assume by me saying that "inflation destroys the concept of corporation" I am exaggerating and that its simply a minor annoyance.

I have a screenshot of a game I played as dutch:

Notice 3 things:

- inflation ALONE is costing me 2136:gold: per turn.

- Whilst units cost me 44 :gold: a turn and civic 180:gold: a turn, city maintenance is 700:gold: per turn.

- after one of my major corporation-franchise civs switched to state property, I'm running at 10% science and 10% espionage [luckily he did so towards the end of the game]

ps. the "10 turns to victory" doesn't mean I'm near the end, its from the spaceship; the actual date shown is 2003AD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed that the 10%:hammers: boost of state property, and the 1:hammers: boost in caste system was there to counter the great effects that one would have with corporations.

As it stands, a workshop under SP/CS will give +4:hammers: and their "total expenses" will be incredibly lower than mine letting them research at upto 90%. As a counter, civs running other civics could get corporations letting them get +:food: or +:hammers: but the damn inflation has screwed the whole system up to the point where the only viable civic now is SP+CS or Mercantilism+x.

Cottage economies were always supposed to be somewhat better once they had been maxed out because they have to build up, whereas workshops and farms are built almost instantly. This meant that peaceful civs would tend to have more cottages whilst areas devastated by war would be best to quickly rebuild the farms+workshops.
With workshops giving equivalent +12:commerce: and a fully completed cottage giving +10:commerce: It is definately broken, the only saving grace was that corporations were supposed to be a HUGE part of the game.

Also imagine that if I have the HQs in my country and its this bad, how bad would it be for civs who don't have the HQ.

Right now corporation is so broken that its best for me to found the corporation HQ and not spread it to a single city of mine but instead devastate the enemy by forcing them to run 90-100% tax.

This is more broken than the espionage foment unhappiness one and needs to urgently be fixed. They MUST make the corporation maintenance come into effect AFTER inflation and/or they MUST cap inflation at a certain point.

you need to read a little more. there are some serious flaws in domestic corporation spreads which is where a lot of it should be because of inflation.

Its worst than a flaw in domestic corporation spread. Its just that you don't get to directly see the effect it has in foreign branches - its actually even worst for them.

Here are the other 2 threads regarding this issue:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=232674
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=232333

Here is a post I made in another thread regarding corporations. As it stands the effect inflation has is a major gamestopping bug and needs to be Firaxis' top priority:

Corporation was supposed to be similar to religion in general.

Corporation should provide benefits to cities which host them [as religions do] and also give a big bonus to the civ that holds the shrine[HQ].
As it stands, by the lategame corporation is devastated by the "inflation" which more than triples the true cost.
I guess when people read this, they won't understand how bad it REALLY is, they may assume by me saying that "inflation destroys the concept of corporation" I am exaggerating and that its simply a minor annoyance.

I suggest you to reread the concept of corporation. You got the concepts all wrong. The designers clearly stated that corporation is there to screw your opponents. You create a corporation and spread it to OTHER CIVILIZATIONS, they pay the maintenance cost, you get the gold in your HQ. If you want to get the benefit of corporation in your own cities, then you have to be prepared to pay the price. If the price is too high, well don't spread it in your own cities.

Top Bottom