11 Kievan Rus Units

ah my mistake, not my guide, just copy and pasted it from the link at the top for easier access for those interested as I found it easier to follow for just subbing in new models for existing units for someone new to civ modding like myself. I removed that part from the guide in my post though.

Thanks for these units danrell, I like them so much I started learning how to edit the CIV xml files in order to add them :)

As other people who want to use them will have to go through the same steps, I decided to post a mod here which replaces all the standard civs with alternatives which use your units.

If you are iterested in it, get it here

All units are included, so you do not need to download them separately.

Cani just say, the only problems im having with these units is WHERE to fit them in my mod- great job! And the way you have included animations and pics of the units really saves me some time-other unit makers should include take note and include these aswell. Adds so much conveniance!

Thanks again! Keep it up :)

mrkingkong

Great work! I'm using these for my early units in a Confederacy mod I'm working on.

One problem: On the Knight, I get my Civ flag, instead of the gold/red cross. The Reb Stars and Bars actually look pretty good on the shield, but I'm wondering why it shows up that way only on the Knight.

The other shield units look fine. Problem is only with the Knight. Any suggestions?

is it possible to make these units only appear for when I or someone else plays Russia? It would be great to see these cultural units? Any guide on how to make these units ONLY replace the russian/ukrainian units not everyone's units?

is it possible to make these units only appear for when I or someone else plays Russia? It would be great to see these cultural units? Any guide on how to make these units ONLY replace the russian/ukrainian units not everyone's units?
Yes, there's two ways to do it... the "old fashioned" way (Vanilla and Warlords) would be to make the unit a "nation specific" unit... like the Panzer is to the tank or the Redcoat is to the Rifleman.

This requires adding a lot of new units (and a lot more txt) to the Civ4UnitInfos.xml, and you'll see a lot more entries into the Civilopedia (like 12 differant "Spearmen" if you used 12 differant national spearmen in this fashion), but it WILL work, and it will only appear for the nation you want it to.

The newer (and probably prefered/easier) way is the "BtS" method of adding a new Unit Art Style to the Civ4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml. For instance, there's a "EUROPEAN" art style which applies to French, German, English, etc... this gives unique looking units to anyone who is coded "European"... but you can change and/or add these types of art styles... so you could have a 'French' art style, an 'English' art style and a 'German' art style. This requires less xml work, less civilopedia entries, is a lot easier to do, and will only show the units for a specific nation (no free peeks at the artwork in the Civilopedia though... you'll only see the artwork if you play as that nation or see that nation's units in-game).

Is it just me, or am I the only one the "Maceman" (aka swordsman w/shield) doesn't work for?

I can't get it to work... I've had success with all the other units EXCEPT the Kiev Maceman(hvysword) guy.

I've checked and rechecked the XML entries... deleted/restored... I keep getting junk... I tried changing the KFM source from that provided to a differant hvysword kfm and got one-step closer to an image, but not enough, so I'm wondering is some of the files are either missing or corrupted in the download.

I'm sure it's not an XML error, as I've gone over the XML countless times and have had no problem with other units from this same download.

I got it to work :) Also please give some details as to what the actual problem is rather than saying you're just getting junk, and also posting your xml would be helpful. At the moment your post is pretty spammy :)

I got it to work :) Also please give some details as to what the actual problem is rather than saying you're just getting junk, and also posting your xml would be helpful. At the moment your post is pretty spammy :)

I was just looking to see if I was the only one... but I can get specific... okay... here's the DETAILS...

First-off, I'm using the Russian "Maceman" (HeavySwordsman) as my REGULAR Russian Swordsman (I'm not fond of removing every single Mace unit from the game... at least let the Europeans have a few maces!). I'm doing this "BtS" style, as-in a flavored nation-specific unit, NOT a UU. I've done the XML a bajillion times already on flavored units, so I'm pretty confident I have the sequence down-pat.

So I make a folder for the Russian swordsman, and dump all of Danrell's Russian Maceman files in it... 42 files to be exact. Here's the initial attempt at the XML:

Spoiler :
<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_SWORDSMAN_RUSSIAN</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Swordsman.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,4,5</Button>
<fScale>0.44</fScale>
<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Art/Units/Russian/Swordsman/HeavySwordsman.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Russian/Swordsman/HeavySwordsman.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Russian/Swordsman/HeavySwordsman_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>

<ShadowDef>
<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
</ShadowDef>
<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>

This is the result:

Feeling pretty confident about my ability to get the XML right, and knowing that a lot more of these files on the forum are getting corrupted then folks may want to admit, I decided to change the KFM to a differant heavyswordsman kfm I already had... if I got a differant result, I would know it wasn't the XML, but the files... so, I swapped the KFM line and pointed it to a differant directory with a heavyswordsman.kfm... nothing else changed in the XML... this is what I used:

Spoiler :
<KFM>Art/Units/Babylon/Maceman/HeavySwordsman.kfm</KFM>

What was the result? This:

IMHO, that's a clear sign the XML is not to blame, but something goofy in the download. Either corrupted or missing... I did redownload the thing 3-times to ensure it wasn't a one-time goof on download on my end....

I'm pretty sure the file(s) is to blame.

Nope, it's the XML for sure. The first error is because the KFM wasn't in the place you referenced (in the <KFM> line). The second is the same problem with the nifs. Check you've got the folder structure exactly the same.
Well I'm led to believe you're mistaken in your analysis of both... the KFM file WAS EXACTLY where I pointed it to be... it's just F'd-up... the KFM file is corrupted IMHO, because the KFM is EXACTLY where I pointed it to the first time.
(Art/Units/Russian/Swordsman/HeavySwordsman.kfm)
You get a blank screen like that if it's not there (and it WAS) or if it's corrupted (which I believe to be the case).

In the 2nd example, yeah... there's a problem with the NIFs because I was using a differant modified KFM (not the same one from the Kiev download)... I used a DIFFERANT KFM from this download... I did that to test to see if the original Kiev KFM I downloaded was F'd-up... seems clear it is.

It's not an XML error. There's a problem with the download and/or a missing/corrupted file.

I've been very thorough with my XML entries... I'm not new to changing unit looks... I've done about a hundred successfully already, and I'm confident I know what I'm doing with the XML.

Someone could do me a BIG favor if they uploaded their WORKING copy of the Kiev Maceman (all 42 files, or more if I'm missing one).

I've been vindicated...

I downloaded this from another source (a differant pack), and using THE EXACT SAME XML, it worked just fine.

Something is wrong with this download, at least concerning the HeavySwordsman... I'm not saying it's always been that way, but something may have gotten corrupted on the server.

Love these Russian units! However, being a noob in Civ and also not so computer coding expert either, I have a question. From what I can tell, you basicaly have to replace strings of text in the original files for some strings of text of these new files (units), correct? If that is true and someone already had done it in their BTS game, why can't you guys post that modified file here? This way noobs can just copy/paste the entire modified file into their BTS mod folders and we can have these nice units in the game for the Russians? If that is possible, we only just need one smart guy who knows how to add these units into the game, and than he can just share his final modified files with the rest of the community and all the noobs and dumbasses like myself can just copy/replace the files in the BTS! Is it possible?

Top Bottom